• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

Help! Need Home Theater Advice!

Ok- we are moving and looking to invest in upgrading our home theater. We were going to wait and save up for a Sony 60 inch rear-projection flat panel TV to the tune of $3500. However, Best Buy has a couple of items that are a great discount the day after Thanksgiving, and now we are not sure what to do. One is a Toshibe 51in rear projection monitor. Its a great deal at 50% off, but all the reviews I have read say they are unreliable and break a lot. I don't want to deal with that kind of hassle. They also have a Toshiba projector that will be 50% off, but I'm not sure if I want to go that route.

So, what are the benefits of a projector versus a big screen? I know projectors are great for movies, but what about for regular TV? This would be our main television, so I don't want something that is a lot of hassle. I guess I am asking for someone to convince me of the benefits of a projector- its cheaper and I won't regret the investment if we still decide to get the Sony down the line.

Any opinions and advice would be great. I know that flat panel rear projection tv's will be coming down in price as plasmas get cheaper- should we just wait and get the tv we really want, or would the ones on sale work just as well?
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Happy Memories

Re: Help! Need Home Theater Advice!

Can't really offer a lot of expertise, but from a philosophical stand point I say that if what is on sale is not what you really want then it really isn't a great bargain. Now if what you really want was going to be on sale and it was the question was that of buying it sooner even though you hadn't yet saved for it, then i would say go for it. But if it's a matter of settling just because something similar is on sale, then wait for what you truly want. It will make you happier in the long run.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

well, HE realy wants the big one- I am willing to compromise.

We watch lots of movies and hubby really likes video games. A projector might be something we could really love, but we have never considered it before.

Do you MiceChat?

DMCA for life, yo.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

You know I love my projector! Watching movies is SO incredible!! It is no better going to the movies than watching them in my house! Using it as a regular tv is no big deal except for that the bulbs have a shelf life, so the more you use it, the sooner they'll go out. We do have a tv in our upstairs den that we use for just basic tv watching.

Hard choice- you know Jason will answer any questions you have, he knows more than any sales person! Especially about projectors!

I so wish you guys could come up and check ours out! Maybe we could bring it next weekend and you guys could try it out in your basement and see what you think!
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

I was just going to PM you Stacy- have Jason call Kelly when he gets home- the reviews I am reading on this projector are really great, but I don't know- if we don't buy it next Friday, then we are going to wait. I know we can always return the projector if we don't like it.

Do you MiceChat?

DMCA for life, yo.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Quote Originally Posted by dramaqueen
    I was just going to PM you Stacy- have Jason call Kelly when he gets home- the reviews I am reading on this projector are really great, but I don't know- if we don't buy it next Friday, then we are going to wait. I know we can always return the projector if we don't like it.
    Crap! I didn't see this till just now! You should have called me! Jason is asleep now- will Kelly be home tomarrow night? He could even call Jason at work tomarrow if not. Jason has done so much research on projectors- he'd be happy to help!
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

We have the Sony Grand Wega 60" rear projection lcd and have been very happy with it. There is a major downside, in that it uses a projection bulb which costs $200. The first time it went out was just after that part of the warranty was over. About 100 days into our extravagant purchase. The replacement bulb has lasted over a year. We heard they had a batch of bulbs that were short lived. Shoulda complained, but . . . oh well.

Anyway, the screen is very bright and with most sources, quite sharp. When watching high def, it is just stunning. I can sit for hours watching the most boring programs just because they are so striking.

Have fun. We agonized over this purchase for about six months. A year later, our model is available for around a thousand dollars less than we paid. Ain't high tech great?
    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

— Ernest Thompson Seton