• Nerd

Angry Dang, my ipod just crapped out

I admit that by todays standards its pretty old. I have one of the U-2 ipods. I've gotten pretty good mileage out of it - but I reset it and it just says www...blah.support....///blah blah etc. Am I doomed or should I give the old college try? I'm not really in the mood to buy a new one, because I'm waiting for the new iphones to come out with Verizon. Any thoughts?
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

• Water rides are evil.

Re: Dang, my ipod just crapped out

Well, being techno geek, I'd work on it for a bit and see if I could get it into drive mode. At least if you can get it into drive mode it's not completely toast.

That being said, replace your mp3 player. Being part of a phone is always a good choice, but holding out for the iphone on Verizon might be another year. I think that's how long is left on the ATT exclusivity. The ipad got to come across because the exclusivity was for phones, nothing else.

If for some reason you have your heart set on the iphone, unless you can live without an mp3 player for a year, get a new one or get an android.

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by TTechGuy View Post
    ...get a new one or get an android.
    We are new owners of a Droid X and a Droid Incredible. I now see no purpose in owning an iPhone or iPod - other than to show your support for apple.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    We are new owners of a Droid X and a Droid Incredible. I now see no purpose in owning an iPhone or iPod - other than to show your support for apple.
    The droid is looking really nice. how is it as an mp3 player. does it interface with itunes etc. the same? I really don't want to have to change things up too much. we have all the "family" music on the mac and about 5 ipods in the family. hmmmm?
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

• Water rides are evil.

Quote Originally Posted by CMHusband View Post
    The droid is looking really nice. how is it as an mp3 player. does it interface with itunes etc. the same? I really don't want to have to change things up too much. we have all the "family" music on the mac and about 5 ipods in the family. hmmmm?
    I have one of the original droids. It's pretty decent as an mp3 player. I was actually amazed at how good the on board speakers sounded.

On the downside for you, Steve Jobs does not want anything that he does not get a cut from to interface with itunes. Consequently, transferring music that way would be out without some other software to help you out.

A quick search brought about this link Sync Android, Motorola, Samsung, HTC: doubleTwist with Amazon MP3 which will supposedly do what you're looking for.

Good luck with whatever you decide and feel free to ask if you have any questions on the android front.

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by CMHusband View Post
    I'm sure there are or will be many apps that will allow interface. (Good response TTechGuy)

Personally - I wouldn't know if it interfaces with iTunes as we don't use it. Our music is downloaded from Amazon or ripped from discs. Then all of it stored on our family network. That music is very easy to access. I make the playlist on one of the computers, plug the phone in via the USB cable and transfer the files. Simple, and sounds pretty good - depending on which earphones I use.

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

The only drawback with Android is the fragmentation your starting to see in the market. There are so many different configurations, you have to be careful and make sure certain apps will even work on your phone.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Water rides are evil.

Quote Originally Posted by justjohn View Post
    The only drawback with Android is the fragmentation your starting to see in the market. There are so many different configurations, you have to be careful and make sure certain apps will even work on your phone.
    Fragmentation is really a non-issue if you're buying a new Android phone. Fragmentation is only an issue if you buy an older phone. Like buying an older iphone that doesn't support the newer os and apps.
    Last edited by TTechGuy; 11-19-2010 at 01:13 PM.

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

except for there are very few older iphones being sold and lots of older android phones still sitting on the shelves.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TTechGuy View Post
    Fragmentation is really a non-issue if you're buying a new Android phone. Fragmentation is only an issue if you buy an older phone. Like buying an older iphone that doesn't support the newer os and apps.
    There are so many Android phones coming out that your new phone quickly becomes the old phone. Manufacturers and carriers are adding/removing features and have not been entirely urgent in pushing out the latest version. Apple may be aggressive in its willingness to drop hardware, but at least there is some predicability. Is anybody really going to be surprised to learn that iOS 5 will not support the iPhone 3G?

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Here's an article about an android dev that's completely bypassing the marketplace and solely focusing on getting bundled into certain phones so he doesn't have to worry about it.

Is Android an Ugly Platform?
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by justjohn View Post
    Here's an article about an android dev that's completely bypassing the marketplace and solely focusing on getting bundled into certain phones so he doesn't have to worry about it.

Is Android an Ugly Platform?
    That article is really referencing game developers. Is gaming a primary concern for purchasing a phone? Gaming didn't play ANY part in my decision.

Every phone I have had has at some point been past the support phase - but they still worked. I want a phone that will serve me, is fun to use, and will last a few years. Clearly the Android meets the first two, and time will tell on the last.