View Poll Results: Is the video iPod worth it?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Best thing since sliced bread!

9 42.86%
  • It's nice to have, I'm happy.

8 38.10%
  • I like it, but wish I had spent my money on something else.

0 0%
  • I can't stand this piece of crap, most expensive paper weight I've ever encountered.

4 19.05%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

Video iPod....worth it?

I'm currently saving money for a video iPod. I already own a shuffle, but I want to move up to something better. For those of you that own a video iPod, is it worth the 300 bucks? Or would my money be better saved on something else?
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• ...lurks...

Re: Video iPod....worth it?

Yes, it's worth it...if you have the cash, I say GO FOR IT!

• no flash photography...

I'm getting my daughter one for her birthday..

• Senior Minion

I think it will be worth it for sure. Recently in the news there have been reports of ABC, Fox and many other companies buying into this new medium of entertainment.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

I would personally wait- I bought a 40 gb photo ipod for $500 bucks and now you can buy a 60 gb model for 399. The technology will get cheaper, probably. Its still a good deal at $300 bucks though.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Minion

Depends on what you want. I bought one for my mom during the first week of November, and overall, it's a solid product. The soud quality isn't any better than any of the other ipods, but the screen is larger, its slimmer than all of the fullsize ipods before it, and it plays (limited) videos, and holds 10 GB more than other full size ipods of the same price...

However, the video player is really nothing to get excited about. Not only do you have a small selection of videos (abc stuff, disney channel stuff, and music videos), you have to pay for them. There are other mp3 players with video support that allow you to transfer tv shows from Tivo. The screen size is bigger than most but the resolution is higher on a PSP, and the screen is twice the size.

As a music player, you really can't beat the video ipod, but if you're looking to buy one and use mainly the video options, a PSP is your best bet.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    the resolution is higher on a PSP, and the screen is twice the size.
    The price is equally larger, too. People telling you the PSP makes a good video device forget that you have to spend about $100 more on memory if you want to watch anything of regular length at decent quality. My "tiny" 128MB Memory Stick barely holds my save games and a music video. With the iPod you're getting minimum 20GB of space, while the PSP will set you back nearly $400 for 1GB of space.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    The price is equally larger, too. People telling you the PSP makes a good video device forget that you have to spend about $100 more on memory if you want to watch anything of regular length at decent quality. My "tiny" 128MB Memory Stick barely holds my save games and a music video.
    True, but the PSP utilizes the AVC format. It decreases the file size by about 40-50%. I have a 1GB stick and I can store quite a bit of stuff on it. The Giga Pack was just released, which includes the original PSP bundle, a 1GB stick, and a USB cable. It costs the same as an Ipod video.

PSP
    Surf the Net
    Play Games
    Watch Movies (UMD, tivo, or compress your own DVDs)
    Picture Viewer
    Location Free Player (Watch T.V. over the internet with optional base unit)
    MP3 Player

Ipod Video
    Watch t.v. shows and music videos
    Picture Viewer
    MP3 Player
    Calendar
    Contacts

If you just want music, go with the ipod. It's smaller, has WAY better music playback options, and is quick and simple to use.

The PSP is what you want if you're looking for multi-media options go. A lot larger than an ipod video, memory sticks are not included, High resolution widescreen LCD.

• They wanna know, HO!

I disagree with multi-media on the PSP. When the PSP features a 30 gig hard drive, then I'll change, but use Quicktime Pro and find some movie off of bit torrent and it works very well. Battery life sucks, and that's where the PSP has it beat, but if you don't want to spend money on UMDs or expensive Memory Sticks ontop of the unit's already high price, I'd say iPod (NOT iPod Video, it's just iPod. THE iPod Video is being worked on as a real compeititor to the PSP. This one is just an iPod with video playback.)
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

so with the iPod video, is it possible to put full length movies on it? Say ones that I have downloaded off the net?
    What an idiot....

• They wanna know, HO!

Quote Originally Posted by Tui
    so with the iPod video, is it possible to put full length movies on it? Say ones that I have downloaded off the net?
    Totally, I have Anchorman. You just need Quicktime Pro (buy for $30, or get, uh, *ahem*, other ways...), open up the movie, and then export to iPod. It'll export the video to iPod format, then open it in iTunes and transfer. I have several TV shows too.

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

excellent....can it convert AVI files? I really know nothing about this stuff.
    What an idiot....

• Official Mice Chat person

I was wondering the same things.

Is there any other way to take video files and put them into iPod format without using Quicktime Pro? Can you just drag a video file into iTunes? I don't know anything about this stuff either as you can see.

• Vehicle rotating backward

No, you need to use a 3rd party program to convert it, then load the converted file.

Windows users have Videora Converter which is slow and often produces videos that are out of sync with their audio. Mac users should try iSquint which claims to be up to 5 times faster than Apple's method and doesn't require QuickTime Pro, either.

For the moment, jumping on the iPod video bandwagon is a lot less messy for Mac users than Windows users.

• They wanna know, HO!

Quote Originally Posted by Tui
    excellent....can it convert AVI files? I really know nothing about this stuff.
    If Quictime will play it, then yes. I'm still looking for a good free converter.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast