Aron Embry was at Ray Elementary in Cedar Hill at the time of the incident. The man said he had just finished a call when he said he heard a loud "pop."
He then felt something trickling down his face; it was blood.
His ear then began to bleed profusely, and he was immediately taken to the emergency room at Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas. He received four stitches, but said there was no hearing loss.
The glass on the face of the Motorola Droid smartphone apparently shattered. He said he had just purchased it just two days ago.
The phone still appears to be functioning, and its battery was intact.