• :)

Car Audio Question (It's tech! :)

ok well i am looking to get one of the two subwoofers:

Kicker SOLO-X 12'' competition

or

JL Audio 13.5'' W7

the SOLO-X comp has an extreme amount of RMS compared to the JL W7...which would make sense it being alot more louder, cleaner and obnoxous, but everyone is telling me that the W7 will hit WAY harder than the SOLO-X...

if anyone knows anything about car audio here, help me out

• Minion

Re: Car Audio Question (It's tech! :)

I used to sell car audio, but not those brands, so I'm basing this on general knowledge and stuff I picked up along the way...

They're both great subs and either one will give you a considerable amount of bass. My guess is the JL is likely the slightly better sounding of the two and could potentially give you more bass because it's a bigger sub (13.5" versus 12").

RMS really doesn't mean much. What does matter more is the sensitivity rating (how efficient the sub uses the power you give it) and they're both pretty close in that rating.

Speaking of power, don't skimp on the amp! Stay away from "off brand" amps that are cheap and promise incredible power. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is!

You'll also want to look box size requirements. If you have a small car, using a sub that needs a 3 cubic foot box might not be too practical!

Let me know which way you go and how it works out for you.

Hey, I am actually using a chevy silverado ext. cab...I'm removing the backseat Just behind the drivers seat for the box, I know better box = better sound....but i will be placing the seat here, I sit far back in the seat and I never really have that many people in my car, so it should be fine.....i mean, i'll still be able to drive me + 4 other people....I am thinking of going with the JL W7 13.5, i'm gonna call or e-mail JL and ask them if they make boxes...i'd rather trust them than the audio store, telling me the box is great, when really it's just one of the 10000 they have pre-made already that are all "10000% great!!!" i'm gonna go with a JL AMP true 1200 watt I think...what do you think?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mulishaCM
    Hey, I am actually using a chevy silverado ext. cab...I'm removing the backseat Just behind the drivers seat for the box, I know better box = better sound....but i will be placing the seat here, I sit far back in the seat and I never really have that many people in my car, so it should be fine.....i mean, i'll still be able to drive me + 4 other people....I am thinking of going with the JL W7 13.5, i'm gonna call or e-mail JL and ask them if they make boxes...i'd rather trust them than the audio store, telling me the box is great, when really it's just one of the 10000 they have pre-made already that are all "10000% great!!!" i'm gonna go with a JL AMP true 1200 watt I think...what do you think?
    Wow! Sounds niiiiiiiiceee!! Really nice, in fact! I remember when I sold car audio (about 7 years ago), JL was thee top brand for subs and won more competitions than any other.

If JL doesn't make boxes, and you have to buy one from the store, make sure it's made out of 3/4" or 1" MDF. Don't use real wood or plywood! If you have a table saw and some skills, you could make your own...it's really not that hard to do. I'm sure JL would be happy to give you all the specs you need.

Let me know how it turns out...

I looked on the JL website and it shows that JL does make boxes made for the W7 13.5 inch and other W7 subs, but their really ugly and really small, So I may just go with a custom made sub by an audio store now to fit my vehicle, and I will be sure its made with the correct material, What type of box should I use though? Ported? Band-Pass? or Totally Sealed, I'm thinking Totally Sealed will get me the best sound, what do yuo guys think?

• Minion

I looked on the JL website and it shows that JL does make boxes made for the W7 13.5 inch and other W7 subs, but their really ugly and really small, So I may just go with a custom made sub by an audio store now to fit my vehicle, and I will be sure its made with the correct material, What type of box should I use though? Ported? Band-Pass? or Totally Sealed, I'm thinking Totally Sealed will get me the best sound, what do yuo guys think?
    Check with the manufacturer for the correct box size and type and stick with what they say. Some subs are very picky as to what type of box works best and some aren't so picky. Build the box too big, too small or the wrong type and you could end up with something that looks cool and sounds like garbage.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...p?series_id=10

Quote Originally Posted by Pacha
    Check with the manufacturer for the correct box size and type and stick with what they say. Some subs are very picky as to what type of box works best and some aren't so picky. Build the box too big, too small or the wrong type and you could end up with something that looks cool and sounds like garbage.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...p?series_id=10
    yeah, I know that JL does make boxes for this sub but i am stuck here! The space which I will be putting the subwoofer is a straight square, cant fit any other design or shape there....and all the boxes JL supplies arent just a perfect box =[ I am thinking about calling JL and seeing how much it would be for them to make me a kick but box (if thats even possible) :] think they would do this?

• Minion

yeah, I know that JL does make boxes for this sub but i am stuck here! The space which I will be putting the subwoofer is a straight square, cant fit any other design or shape there....and all the boxes JL supplies arent just a perfect box =[ I am thinking about calling JL and seeing how much it would be for them to make me a kick but box (if thats even possible) :] think they would do this?
    Probably not, but I bet your dealer would! We did stuff like that all the time for customers. Plug a few numbers from the manufacturer into a calculator and build a custom box (that's the correct interior volume) that also fit the car perfectly.

• Makin' Movies !

At The Opera House, Waitin' For Mr. Lincoln!

Go to your local custom car audio shop, and talk to the installers there. They can usually construct custom enclosures for just about any application. A couple of tips are: NEVER build a perfect cube! You will have standing wave problems that will cause the bass to sound bad. JL audio woofers are designed to be used in very small amounts of airspace, and can handle lots of power. Also, JL Audio makes a line of "Stealth Boxes" with custom applications for many vehicles. Often times, you can purchase a Stealth Box that will basically "drop in" to your vehicle and sound awesome. It will also appear to be stock, with little or no modification to your vehicle.