• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Question about the best VGA KVM switch for my computer monitor w/ PC and XBox 360...

<<Crossposted from the official XBox forums... my GamerTag is BurntToast256.>>

I have a weird question, but I already have a MS VGA cable (got the only one that my local GameStop got and I couldn't find it as well at two of the local Best Buys) but I don't get my system until Tuesday when it is finally delivered.

My question is this... I currently have a Samsung 19' 997DF monitor and a decent Cambridge 5.1 (the first or second generation "Desktop Theater" system) surround sound speaker system that I was planning on using that for my XBox 360. However, they are currently both being used for my computer.

So my question is... what is a good VGA KVM switcher box that I should buy that will let me use my monitor and my surround sound speaker system with both my XBox 360 and my computer? There's so many out there and most of them only support non-surround sound systems. I don't recall (since I'm at work and I can't see the back of my speaker's cable hookup box) if it has digital input... but I don't think so since it was one of the first surround sound 5.1 systems that were being sold.

Thanks in advance for any assistance that anyone could give me on finding the right switcher box (and anything else that I would need to buy) for me and my configuration.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Re: Question about the best VGA KVM switch for my computer monitor w/ PC and XBox 360...

You aren't going to like the answer but there isn't any one switch that does that. Most VGA switches are computer-oriented and don't have much more than USB output along with them. Most switches that support optical 5.1 sound don't support VGA, but instead support component and/or DVI.

I'd say just get a VGA switch and move the optical cable anytime you want to switch from PC to Xbox. I used the same cable for my PC, Xbox, and PS2 for over a year and never found a situation where I needed to immediately switch the audio from one device to another.

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Re: Question about the best VGA KVM switch for my computer monitor w/ PC and XBox 360...

Hrmnnn...

Is there any way to split the optical cable? I know that some folks on the XBox forums mentioned that even though I have a the MS VGA adapter that I might have to get a optical cable splitter... I don't think I've ever seen one of those.

Thanks for your response though! Do you know which would be a good switcher box to buy? There is so many out there at all different price ranges... which one do you use?

• Winter in Oceanside...

Avoid the Belkin brand. Junk.

• Vehicle rotating backward

I'm not so sure about that since my experience with optical in the home is a HT (home theater) environment wherein the source signal is switched by a receiver.

As for KVMs, here's a list sorted by best rating on a popular PC parts estore. The switch I use on my PC/Mac with my 19" monitor is discontinued. They're still selling them here from doing a quick Google search, but I can't reccomend that site and have never seen it outside of this look into Google.

Of course, if you're wondering if a PC parts store is trustworthy, look it up at ResellerRatings.

What you may want to consider doing, in the future, is getting a monitor that has VGA and DVI inputs. Most PC video cards, even cheaper ones, have DVI outputs these days, and Macs have had them for years now. I only use my KVM switch as a USB switcher for mouse/keyboard anymore because my PC uses DVI out and my Mac uses VGA out, and I switch between them with a button on the monitor. DVI gives better picture quality too, if you're a serious graphics hound. Xbox360 won't support it, though so you're stuck with VGA there (but PS3 will be compatable with DVI.)
    Last edited by MickeyMania; 11-27-2005 at 10:32 PM.