• 60 Dazzling Years!

Google Street View

I've seen the Google vehicles a few times, but Thursday was the first time I was in a position to take a few pictures. I found this Street View vehicle in action in Hollywood yesterday.

• I'm not really here

Re: Google Street View

Awesome! I was stopped at a stoplight next to one a couple years ago. Didn't know they were advertising on them... they used to keep them as discrete as possible. That camera up top is an engineering marvel... amazing piece of work.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Discrete? Even without the advertising the camera alone is a give away! I've never seen it but I know its been in my neighborhood since my house in on there.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    Discrete? Even without the advertising the camera alone is a give away! I've never seen it but I know its been in my neighborhood since my house in on there.
    Lol, ok, less obvious that it belongs to google

I keep looking at the imagery for the intersection I was at hoping to see myself in there.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Down Pluto!

...where's my horse mask?

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Dept. 41 and Club 55

So how do they store the images they collect? Do they have a computer with several terabytes of storage in the back seat?

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by Sosai X View Post
    So how do they store the images they collect? Do they have a computer with several terabytes of storage in the back seat?
    Possibly, but it would make more sense to buffer them and stream them back to the mothership with geocoordinates embedded.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Banned User

I saw one of these whiz by the intersection as I was leaving my work building this morning (I work overnight). Not sure it was taking photos, it might have been going too fast, but you never know!

• "CA - CA! RAWRRR!"

I've seen these google cars too! lol. My first impression was "Wow so that's the car that takes a picture of my house"

• Keeping Disney Solvent

Ya know there's no driver, right? It zips via remote control to wherever you need it when you activate Street View. ;-)