• Keeper of the fruit rolls

Red Face Please help me fix what I messed up on my stepdad's computer

I'm not all that great with computers but compared to my step dad I'm a genius. It took me half an hour to get him to understand the term "right click". So on to the problem...

He asked me to remove the stuff that he doesn't need like the software for the printer he no longer owns that opens up every time he turns on his computer etc. And make the security warning popups stop. So I tried.

He has an extremely slow dell insperon laptop that runs Windows Vista.
    Some how I accidentely deleted some driver related to his internet. I tried to get it back and went through a bunch of stuff in circles with him over my shoulder making suggestions which obviously didn't help at all because he didn't have any idea what he was doing and can barely even manage to navigate his computer well enough to find google.
    I scribbled down whatever info I could find before I left last night because it was well past everyone in the house's bedtime.
    the info I wrote down is:

"Location PCI buss 11. device 0 function 0
    Network controller" which if i remember correctly was found in the device manager list but i could be wrong

"Your wireless network card has stopped working properly because a compatible driver isn't available for this version of windows" there was a link to the windows vista compatibility center website.

We went and plugged it in directly to try to access the internet. This meant sitting in a dark corner as thats the only way the cord would reach and by doing so the other computers lost the wireless. It took a long time toget the computer to recognize the dsl.
    I don't know how much of that issue was the computer and how much was the continued issues they've had with verizon since they got the service a month ago. they still can't get a reliable connection on the wireless andnever have on ANY of their computers. Many calls have been made to verizon and all the techs i've talked to have no idea what the problem can be.

His computer needs much help. He's got a virus scanner installed called "Ca-Security center" which i've never heard of but its' never been updated and warns you constantly it needs updating. but i was unable to get it to update.

I need to find a way to get wireless working again on the dell and get it cleaned up because as slow as it runs and the fact that the virus thing is out of date I'm pretty sure it's riddled with spyware.
    Can someone please help me?! I don't even know where to start from here. At the very least I need to undo what I did. He asked me to help and all I did was go and make his computer even worse.
    Any suggestions or directions would be VERY much appreciated!
    -Jennelle AKA Blue AKA Dory

Quote Originally Posted by drphibes View Post
    SBF's lasso of truth makes grown men want to go pee pee.
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendGonzo View Post
    Have you considered buying a bed?...as far as I can tell you live in an apartment with a computer, a coupon for hungry howies, and there may or may not be a llama there...
    DLR trips in 2011: Jan 12,29,30, Feb 10, March 29, April 3, 22, May 14, 18, 25, June 9, August 8, 21...hopefully soooooooooon

FB, Twitter

• Just this guy......

Re: Please help me fix what I messed up on my stepdad's computer

I don't know if this will help you but......

Every Dell computer has an ID / support number on it. If you type in that number into the dell website under support it will list all hardware, software and drivers that should work with that system. It will also have links to download what you should need and use.

You should find the correct wireless and/or network card driver.

Where is this number located?

An extra challenge I have is the computer is in one town and I'm in another and don't have much internet access in the location where the computer actually is and when I'm there I'm responsible for two children.

Have you considered buying a bed?...as far as I can tell you live in an apartment with a computer, a coupon for hungry howies, and there may or may not be a llama there...
    DLR trips in 2011: Jan 12,29,30, Feb 10, March 29, April 3, 22, May 14, 18, 25, June 9, August 8, 21...hopefully soooooooooon

FB, Twitter

• Water rides are evil.

Go here: Dell - Drivers and Downloads

Then you can click where is my service tag and it should let you know all the places. It's also the place you will download your drivers.

Thanks. Hopefully I can get the tag info off the dell when I'm there today...depends on how busy the kids keep me this morning. And hopefully I can connect the dell some how to the landline to get the drivers downloaded cuz i have no clue where my blank cds are and i think my sister has stolen every single flash drive i owned. hmmm

FB, Twitter

•   

Google says CA Security is junkware from his internet provider. Remove it, install Microsoft Security Essentials.

I tried uninstalling the CA security but i couldn't find a way. It wouldn't let me do it from the list i get to from control panel > programs. and the program itself wasn't giving me an uninstal optin...and there was an impatence by household members form e to get off that computer and do other stuff so they could play...making it all extra difficult.

FB, Twitter

• Water rides are evil.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I used CA Security Suite on my laptop (got a free license from my ISP). It's not bad but it can be annoying as you have to go in and allow every website you want to see the content of.

When my hard drive went kablooey last month and had to get a new one, I decided to ditch CA for the time being and gave Microsoft Security Essentials a shot. So far I like it (and it's free). It seems to be serving its purpose for me fine.

• Hooterville, USA

I deleted some files my wife needed to access the net on her laptop. So I hard-wired her into my ISP and went into device manager. Where there was a question mark on her wifi, I right mouse clicked to update the driver. One option was for her laptop to go on the net and search for the correct driver. In a matter of seconds it found the driver and installed it.

Problem solved. Hope this can work for you too.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.