• Banned User

Lightbulb Video steganography in youtube videos? Possible?

Okay this is my James Bond thought process wondering here:

Would video steganography be possible in Youtube videos?

Steganography is the science/art of hiding a file inside a file. In this case a video inside a video.

Could people upload a video to Youtube that has the hidden file inside? Then could a differnet person download it using zamzar or mediaconverter get the file and uncover the secert file??

I'm not sure if it could. Since Youtube uploads and processes all videos, doesnt that convert the file to flv? Would that get rid of the junk? Then when you download its converted agian....

Any computer geniouses like to speculate with me?

• Down Pluto!

Re: Video steganography in youtube videos? Possible?

As far as I know you can only use bitmap or uncompressed images with steganography. Compression as in a JPG or FLV messes with the hidden info. For example, one method changes the color value of every 100th pixel to correspond with an ASCII character. Compression drops pixels and thus messes with the message. It would work the same way with video images. There are other methods, but they mostly require the source data to remain as-is so the encoding and the hidden info isn't lost.

At least this is how I understand it, and how my steganography program works.

More info

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    As far as I know you can only use bitmap or uncompressed images with steganography. Compression as in a JPG or FLV messes with the hidden info. For example, one method changes the color value of every 100th pixel to correspond with an ASCII character. Compression drops pixels and thus messes with the message. It would work the same way with video images. There are other methods, but they mostly require the source data to remain as-is so the encoding and the hidden info isn't lost.

At least this is how I understand it, and how my steganography program works.

More info
    That is very interesting. Thank You for the info. I was also reading that video steg. could work only if you went inside and messed with the video itself for example: since there is 24-30 frames a second you slip in a one second frame at the end of the 30. Then you do you that through out the entire video. However, then the audio would be noticeable.

I guess my question is now then with converter's online, would the data stay intact? Or would it be lost during a conversion between either jpeg to pdf or whatever...

• Down Pluto!

If it is converted to be online there is an alteration of data - so the message would be garbled. MPEG compression - used for video online - is like JPEG compression, it alters the original data.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Hooterville, USA

I have no idea what you two are posting about, but it sounds interesting!

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• I'm not really here

Steganography can, and IS used in images, audio files, video files and documents. In fact cable companies are working with Hollywood to build a specification for embedding control signals into video streams that will direct hardware (DVR, VCR, computer, etc) to disable the record ability or allow it based on what content is being shown. This isn't separate control signal, but part of the actual video stream. That is steganography.

The key is to make the alterations in such a way and in small enough amounts that the overall signal isn't noticeably altered.

http://infosecwriters.com/text_resources/pdf/Steganography_AMangarae.pdf

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter