How amazingly cheap storage is these days and the bizarre dolphin adapter

I just wanted to post this because it's truly amazing how cheap storage is now.

You can buy 32G thumb drives for about $40 now, which is close to $1 per Gig. With hard drives, you can get 1T for $80 (probably cheaper but this is what my WD cost me), which is 8 cents per Gig!

So I have all these old Zip disks. Unfortunately, the Zip drive doesn't connect to my current PC. Even if it did, would it work? Well, fortunately, I had an old working laptop that has a Zip drive in it. Unfortunately, it runs ME and I couldn't plug any USB devices into it, nor could I get it on my network and I couldn't find or install the proper drivers. Just by pure chance today, I found a computer fix-it store which had a USB to ethernet adapter with a floppy holding the ME drivers! Woohoo! Here is a picture. It's a dolphin! What?!

But it works... and it's a dolphin! Haha, I have no clue why other than it's their brand name.

Anyway, each of these 100M zip disks is worth less than a penny today, in fact .8 cents. Just amazing! My 1T hard drive is equivalent to 10,000 zip disks. Or my little 16G thumb drive could hold 160 zip disks worth of data.

• Down Pluto!

Re: How amazingly cheap storage is these days and the bizarre dolphin adapter

Zip disks.. Man, I remember those days...had boxfulls of those suckers. They were so cool at the time.

By the way - why exactly wouldn't your Zip drive connect to your current PC?

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Zip disks.. Man, I remember those days...had boxfulls of those suckers. They were so cool at the time.

By the way - why exactly wouldn't your Zip drive connect to your current PC?
    I'm going through my 50+ Zip disks and pulling everything off them this weekend. Unfortunately, there's nothing much good on them. lol

Well, my Zip drive is a SCSI drive, I think. It says SCSI on the connectors and has the SCSI logo on the bottom. But then people tell me the DB-25 connector is actually parallel. Parallel SCSI? Anyway, I have no such connector on my PC. I looked online and on craigslist/ebay and found some USB to DB-25 adapters but got lots of advice that this wouldn't work.

• Down Pluto!

Got ya. Mine was a SCSI as well. Internal.
    I was thinking it might be an IDE interface, and there are many IDE to USB interfaces. I got one to transfer data off all my old hard drives, as all I have these days is SATA. That works great.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

I just upgraded my 2TB drives to 3TB drives today. I usually use Western Digital drives and they were $135 on amazon but they are only 5400 RPM's so I went with Segate's 3TB which are 7200 RPM and those were $168 a piece. I use 3 of them in my Mac Pro. Prices are at a good point on storage.

Whats really impressive is I actually have 3TB of free space after formatting. Finally!
    Attached Images Attached Images