• Shifting cargo

Question On Low-Light Camera Settings

I've had three different digital cameras in the last several years and I have yet to own one that I truly like. My current digital camera, the Sony Cybershot 12.1, is capable of taking very beautiful and clear pictures with flash and in the daylight. However, it SUCKS in low-light!!!! I love to take pictures on rides when I'm in the parks (without flash of course), and it comes out SO grainy and pixel-y. Below are some instances of it taking cruddy quality pictures. A couple are a tiny bit blurry and I understand that has a little to do with it but for the most part, they are mostly steady pictures but still cruddy quality.

This picture is a perfect example of how clear and beautiful it takes in the sunshine.

In the last three photos can you see what I mean by grainy-ness? Especially in the Big Thunder picture. What can I do about this? Do I need a new camera or is there a certain setting or number (?) I should have my camera on for low-light. Any help at all would be soooo amazing. Thank you!!!

• Dreaming of next trip

Re: Question On Low-Light Camera Settings

Since you did not say what the model number is for the camera, I can only guess.
    most cameras do not do well in low light if you leave them in the automatic mode, they try to go to the highest film speed (asa) and this gives grainy photos.
    If you can go to a promram mode on your camera you can play around with the settings and imporve the images. The better the camera the more you will be able to play with the settings. Rule nuber one if you want to shoot in low light turn off the flash it is only good for a few feet.
    I tried to find the thread on taking photos but I could not.
    The things to try and change if you can, F stop (the lower the number the more light can come in and the smaller the depth of field).
    Shutter speed (slower brings in more light but you can get blurring)
    Film speed the hight the nuber the lower the light conditions but you also can get grainy images.
    This is only the basics but you will need to play around witht he camera settings, nice thing about digital is you can see the image right away and make corrections.
    Good luck and have fun.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

If you are using a point and shoot camera... you can't. Point and shoots just aren't designed to get good low light shots. Some of them do better than others, but none of them will get the same shots as a DSLR will. There are many reasons for this, one being the sensor size of most point and shoot cameras. The sensor in P&S cameras is much smaller, and no matter how may pixels your camera shoots, they don't have the same sensitivity to light as a DSLR. You also are limited on how far you can push the aperture and shutter speed, since the best you can do is change "settings" which don't give you exact control. And any camera, even the high end DSLR's are going to have noise at the higher ISO settings, especially if you try to make large prints from the shots.

Hot Sauce 1 has some great photo tips in this thread:

The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Even with a point-and-shoot, you probably have a setting for "night scenery." You'll need a little tripod, but when I was using a P&S I got some great night shots. You'll get long exposures (thus the need for a tripod) but you can do it. Also, some of the lower-resolution P&S have better sensors; my 5 megapixel P&S did better than my 8 megapixel one. My hubby explained to me why, something to do with how the sensor works, but I did find it to be true.

There are little tiny tripods that you can set on top of something and get your shot, or there are small gorilla-pods that you can wrap around things to steady the camera.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.