Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Palm Handhelds

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Palm Handhelds

Does anyone here actually own a Palm Handheld? Grant you all, we can use this to discuss issues with it, but I have specific issue that I can't seem to find an answer for. I figured I'm too much of a technoidiot to figure it out.

I'm thinking of getting a wifi adaptor for my Tungsten T2.

Is there one? I think there is, but the one I found says yes on one website, no on the other.

Oy.

And, of course, I'm open to any other cool things these buggers can do. Suggestions?

peace to all,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• That's Hawt

Re: Palm Handhelds

I have an OLLLD Palm VII or something like that ... I havn't used it in years ...
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• See you there!

Quote Originally Posted by Roo719
    Does anyone here actually own a Palm Handheld?

...snip

I'm thinking of getting a wifi adaptor for my Tungsten T2.

Is there one? I think there is, but the one I found says yes on one website, no on the other.

Oy.

And, of course, I'm open to any other cool things these buggers can do. Suggestions?

peace to all,
    Roo

I've been using Palm handhelds for severl years. My old Palm IIIx finally died and I replaced it with a Tungsten E2 (great device for the $$ I paid, got an open box blemished for about $60 off)

Your request made me curious, so I looked around and found that Palm does make a WIFI card for the SD slot, unfortunatley it doesn't list the T2 as a compatible model (could be because it is not a current model)

Here's the link to what I found:

http://www.palm.com/us/support/acces...wifi_card.html

The price is $129, but for $299 you can get a Palm TX, which looks real good to me, I would like to get one, but just got my E2. Anyway, here's a link to the TX:

http://www.palm.com/us/products/handhelds/tx/

I've found the Palm Support site very useful, they even have a fourm (not real well trafficed, but it's there). You should be able to get a definitative answer on using the SD WIFI with your device there, if not from the FAQ's or fourm, send a support request to Palm.

http://www.palm.com/us/support/

Forgot to add. Other cool things. I just got a GPS receiver and software for my Palm, just learning GPS stuff for Palm. Quite a learning curve for me, all the new termonology associated with GPS, but I'll get it eventually.

I hope this helps somewhat,

CU@DL

Andy

Still producing Walt Disney World To Go for Palm and Pocket PC, see:

http://www.eguidestogo.com
    Last edited by CUatDL; 12-29-2005 at 09:57 AM.

• Looking for Love

Ive owned 2 Palms in my life, and while I enjoyed them, I never really used them much. Ive owned the Palm Vx and the Tapwave Zodiac (runs Palm OS). I bought a Wifi SDIO card for my tapwave, and while it was nice to have, I found that it was a big hassel to mess with. Id rather just use my iBook or if neccesary, my PSP. But, your needs my differ, so its ultimatly your desicion.

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by CUatDL
    Forgot to add. Other cool things. I just got a GPS receiver and software for my Palm, just learning GPS stuff for Palm. Quite a learning curve for me, all the new termonology associated with GPS, but I'll get it eventually.
    How does your PDA work as a GPS unit? Do you use it for in-vehicle navigation, or as a handheld device (like for geocaching or hiking)?

I just recently got a Treo650 and was interested in the add-on GPS Navigation unit for use while driving. I have an '04 BMW with NAV but my daily beater is an old '93 Toyota, and I really want navigation in it (totally spoiled; once you've driven a car with Navigation you can't go back!!). I almost bought a Magellan unit for about $500 (in fact I had already ordered it from Amazon) but then I saw there was an add on to make the Treo receive GPS for only $200 (so I canceled the order!). I'm curious as to how well it works and if it's practical for driving.

TIA!

BTW, I really like my Treo650, although it's only a week old so I'm still getting used to it. Before that, I had an old Handspring PDA (before they were bought by Palm) that I hadn't used for long time. I'm happy to say that the Palm OS still looks/functions basically the same. I really like the Palm Desktop software for organizing my address book and calendar, it so simple and easy to use. And the screen on my new Treo is so gorgeous compared to that old b/w relic I had before!
    Last edited by DOOM BGI; 01-02-2006 at 09:44 PM.
    --Jonathan

•   
    • Prefect

Blog Entries

i just got the palm tx for christmas. (my mom's got some very nice clients who give her awesome presents every year...which ultimately come to me ) i am having issues with all of these newer devices not coming with user guides. i really would rather read through a booklet than go back & forth through a bunch of pdf's. it's taking way longer than i thought it would to figure it out!
    <o>

• no flash photography...

I have an axim, but it came with wifi already on it. I also added on the GPS. That is the best ting ever...LOL...(I used to get lost all the time)

mine does have an issue though, but alot of people are having the same issue. It's a bug in their software. It's an easy temp. fix for it, but I'm waiting for the permanet fix to come out.

I searched for message boards for the device I use. there may be some for your as well.

•   
    • Prefect

Blog Entries

good idea! i'll have to go searching! thanks
    <o>

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Thanks! This is the kind of information I was seeking. I'll leave the line up for further discussion--seems to be happening here. Thank you all.

peace, too
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• See you there!

Quote Originally Posted by DOOM BGI
    How does your PDA work as a GPS unit? Do you use it for in-vehicle navigation, or as a handheld device (like for geocaching or hiking)?

I just recently got a Treo650 and was interested in the add-on GPS Navigation unit for use while driving. I have an '04 BMW with NAV but my daily beater is an old '93 Toyota, and I really want navigation in it (totally spoiled; once you've driven a car with Navigation you can't go back!!). I almost bought a Magellan unit for about $500 (in fact I had already ordered it from Amazon) but then I saw there was an add on to make the Treo receive GPS for only $200 (so I canceled the order!). I'm curious as to how well it works and if it's practical for driving.

TIA!

BTW, I really like my Treo650, although it's only a week old so I'm still getting used to it. Before that, I had an old Handspring PDA (before they were bought by Palm) that I hadn't used for long time. I'm happy to say that the Palm OS still looks/functions basically the same. I really like the Palm Desktop software for organizing my address book and calendar, it so simple and easy to use. And the screen on my new Treo is so gorgeous compared to that old b/w relic I had before!

I just came back across this thread. I guess I answered one question, then I got lost.

Oh, well sorry.

I got the GPS for my E2 on a lark. It came with Tom-Tom maps which are just like (ha, ha!) other maps for car navigation (which are not all that good for my area and not that pratical IMHO). I also found a program called GeoNiche from: http://www.raydarllc.com/ the program was developed for geo caching, but can be used for lots of off-road things. Pretty good program.

If you just want a GPS to use for geocaching, you don't need to get the GPS from Palm.

Just for grins, I took it to DL once and used GeoNiche and mapped out where several things were. Now I need to go back and see if I can get back to those points by following the GPS instructions and such.

As for non-auto GPS, my brother swears by Garmin. He has tried others, but really likes the Garmin. Go to CompUSA or Best Buy and check out the Garmin and Magelin and others and compare features.

Sorry for the late response, thread must have gotten lost in the chatter from missing several days back then.

IHTH

CU@DL

Andy

WDW guides for Palm and Pocket PC OS

www.eguidestogo.com
    Last edited by CUatDL; 03-08-2006 at 07:27 AM.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Thanks for the information, as always, CU/DL. I don't need a GPS, yet, for when it comes to getting lost, it's mostly in my head!

I did, however, get a new wireless/Bluetooth keyboard and I like it. It takes a few seconds before you can use it, but once it's on, it's good to go.

Still wondering if I should upgrade the little bugger for internet access. No decision on that yet until the need arises again.

Thanks so much for your input.

Peace,
    Roo

• Give Peace a Chance

My Palm is old, but I live by it as far as schedules go it keeps me organized and that's what I bought it for. I'm sure I'll upgrade if this one ever gives out. I think I've had it about 5 years.
    Has anyone considered the fact that GPS also allows for someone to know where you are what speed and you are doing at any given time? I'm not an alarmist, but in a suspense movie their called homing or tracking devices.
    ~ MickeysGirl șoș
    ~ Gotta Love the Mouse! șoș

• Banned User

I have an old Visor Deluxe and a Visor Prism. I am currently using a Sony Clie which has built in wi-fi and a digital camera.

I was using my Visor Prism for my GPS and it worked pretty good but now I have a Magellan Roadmate 700 GPS for my car which I absolutely LOVE!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Gumball Rally Volunteer!

SCUBAbe - A few of us here on MiceChat have Axims...I have an x50v, and I love it.

The Axims (for those who don't know) are Pocket PCs and not Palm devices. There's a great site for Pocket PC owners (and Axim owners specifically) called Aximsite. Check them out. Been on there going on 3 years now and it's been very helpful.

My Pocket PC Screen:

• See you there!

Quote Originally Posted by MickeysGirl
    My Palm is old, but I live by it as far as schedules go it keeps me organized and that's what I bought it for. I'm sure I'll upgrade if this one ever gives out. I think I've had it about 5 years.
    Has anyone considered the fact that GPS also allows for someone to know where you are what speed and you are doing at any given time? I'm not an alarmist, but in a suspense movie their called homing or tracking devices.

Any technology misused can be embarassing. Look at the Internet for example.

Just MHO, YMMV

CU@DL

Andy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast