• Minion

They're heeerrrrre...

Intel based Macs that is. A couple a iMacs and a laptop.

http://www.apple.com/

• Reaver of Souls

Re: They're heeerrrrre...

That MacBook Pro is quite ugly for an Apple product, and I'm a Mac fanatic! It looks like a PC! The speaker placement and color remind me of the old monochrome Powerbooks. And "MacBook"?!? Product development must be under new management these days...
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

Oooh, looks like I'm finally getting my new Mac laptop (I've been waiting for the next generaton). I think they look fine... but that name I think is clumsy. What's wrong with just "PowerBook Pro"??
    --Jonathan

• Having a Grand Day!

I'll get one when somebody finishes writing Drivers for Windows... If I can get MacOS X on a PC, I can get Windows Server 2003 on a Mac.

• Looking for Love

If you go here, Steve Jobs explains why they changed the name, plus you get to watch the whole keynote speech and see the new very funny and cool intel commercials.
    http://macworld.apple.com.edgesuite.net/mw/index.html

• is satisfactual.

That MacBook Pro is quite ugly for an Apple product, and I'm a Mac fanatic! It looks like a PC! The speaker placement and color remind me of the old monochrome Powerbooks. And "MacBook"?!? Product development must be under new management these days...
    Er, actually it looks exactly like the much-loved 15 inch G4 PowerBook only it has a built-in iSight camera above the screen (which is also brighter than before) and a tiny sensor for your remote next to the open/close button. Oh, and the adapter cable is different. But I presume you've never seen a PowerBook G4 then?

• Vehicle rotating backward

This is all pretty lame. The name change is pointless since the name Powerbook pre-dates the PowerPC chip, the PPC didn't even arrive in them until the blackbird models.

I cringe at what will happen to the line currently titled Power Macintosh. Before that they were called Mac IIs (there was an ill-fated Mac III) so I guess they could call them Mac IV but people may confuse them with Mac G4s, and Mac VI seems kind of inappropriate. Also some may consider the Mac Quadra line to techncially be Mac IV.

If they give it some kind of stupid name like ProMac, I'll smack my forehead silly.

• is satisfactual.

I can't watch that video right now to find out, but I read somewhere that the name change was to have the word "Mac" in the name of every computer. Which is logical enough, though I too miss the name "PowerBook". I presume this means they'll also rename the iBook? To what, simply "MacBook"? So that you have the "MacBook" and the "MacBook Pro"? Or...?

• 'Taint sure it's puddin!

We are looking at getting a Mac (not a laptop, though), and wondered if we should wait for the Intel chip or get one now? We want to do DVD authoring, mainly.
    "Search the boat...."
    First works spoken by Captain Nemo (James Mason) in the Disney classic - 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

PROUD Member Of................

Do you MiceChat?
    There are several ways for you to help support the site you love:
    - visit the MiceChat store
    - Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page
    Whatever you do, your help is much appreciated!

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

If you indend to get new software I'd go ahead and wait out the Intel towers. If you get a non-Intel machine now, it would be harder to move over the older software to a new system. This is where its going to hurt in the short term for people upgrading systems. Until all the software is "universal access" the transition is going to be a bit bumpy. Apple even admits that their own top of the line software is not supported by Rosetta, so you need to either upgrade what you have or wait until March for the newer versions.

Its really not must different than anything Apple has done in their history. Way back when the end of the IIe line and the change over to pure Mac, people were up in arms about losing the "Apple IIe forever." Then when they moved from OS 9 to the new Unix based X, it took a while to completely transition over. This is just another transition in the history of Macs. Three years from now, it will be seamless and smooth. Just gotta ride the wave out yet again.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• See you there!

Somebody post a review.

Do you have a new iMac (Intel inside?)

Which did you get?
    MacBook?
    iMac?
    How do you like it?
    Is it a replacement Mac?
    Replacement Windows?
    How does it compare to your old Mac?

Start a new thread with your reviews!

I'm not going to replace my G5 iMac anytime soon, but I would like to know how folks around here like their new iNtel iNside Macs

CU@DL

Andy

• Minion

I have an older G4 Mac that I intend on replacing with a new Intel based Mac. However, I think I'm going to wait till they stuff an Intel processor into a Mac Mini (or whatever it will be called when they build it) Hopefully I can use my older VGA monitor with it. If not, I'll likely get an Intel based iMac instead.

• 'Taint sure it's puddin!

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda
    If you indend to get new software I'd go ahead and wait out the Intel towers. If you get a non-Intel machine now, it would be harder to move over the older software to a new system. This is where its going to hurt in the short term for people upgrading systems. Until all the software is "universal access" the transition is going to be a bit bumpy. Apple even admits that their own top of the line software is not supported by Rosetta, so you need to either upgrade what you have or wait until March for the newer versions.

Its really not must different than anything Apple has done in their history. Way back when the end of the IIe line and the change over to pure Mac, people were up in arms about losing the "Apple IIe forever." Then when they moved from OS 9 to the new Unix based X, it took a while to completely transition over. This is just another transition in the history of Macs. Three years from now, it will be seamless and smooth. Just gotta ride the wave out yet again.
    I am going to get new software, and I think your advice is very wise.

Question is - how much patience to I have?
    "Search the boat...."
    First works spoken by Captain Nemo (James Mason) in the Disney classic - 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

PROUD Member Of................

Do you MiceChat?
    There are several ways for you to help support the site you love:
    - visit the MiceChat store
    - Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page
    Whatever you do, your help is much appreciated!

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda
    Problem it means buying things yet again. I gave up on Macs for five years because of the 680x0 to PPC switchover, and I'm not going to run out there and buy Intel Macs to replace my PPC ones. When my machine runs, out, that's IT. I'm tired of Apple constantly making revolutions in critical components like the CPU or OS. Just let it develop without changing it for once.