upgrading to DOC 3 cable modem

not much going on here but I thought I would post this in case anyone else is going through the process.

I got a letter from Comcast saying that my cable modem was too old and needed to be upgraded to a DOC 3 cable modem.

looking at what was available at Best Buy I decided to try a Motorola cable modem-router-wireless combination. I thought it would be more efficient having it all together in one unit. it all seemed to be working well until I upgraded and added a cablecard network tv tuner and everything stopped working. after spending a lot of time trying to figure it out I moved the home theater system back to my old router and it worked fine.

I ended up taking it back and getting a stand alone cable modem only unit. everything seems to be ok again. the only issue I have is that the router cable modem link will only work if I power up the router first, then power the cable modem after. this is opposite what Comcast instructs you to do. I know that the linkage wasn't that picky before because the system used to come back without any attention after a power outage.

so for most uses the cable modem-router-wireless will work well, but if have a home theater system beware.
    Last edited by gary94080; 08-13-2014 at 11:34 AM.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

Re: upgrading to DOC 3 cable modem

You're better off if your router and modem are separate devices. Easier to replace or upgrade if one fails. I have a DOCSIS 3.0 telephony modem rented from Comcast. Not many choices out there in telephony modems.

I had a lot of WiFi traffic until I invested in MoCa bridges that connect four of my devices to a port on the router using the same coaxial cable that delivers TV and internet. That took the heaviest bandwidth users (TV, TiVos, Blu-Ray player) off my WiFi network.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
    2014 so far: 5595 miles, 311,000 feet

• Water rides are evil.

You may want to check to see if there is a firmware update to your router. The modem first, router second, is the way that the power on cycle should work. It sounds like there's an odd handshake going on with the new modem. Upgraded firmware may fix that issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Trekkie Dad View Post
    You're better off if your router and modem are separate devices.
    that's what I ended up with along with an 8-port gigabit switch and $49 in store credit when I took the combo back and got a cable modem. I was hoping to simplify the wiring jumble by getting the modem-router combo.

Quote Originally Posted by TTechGuy View Post
    You may want to check to see if there is a firmware update to your router. The modem first, router second, is the way that the power on cycle should work. It sounds like there's an odd handshake going on with the new modem. Upgraded firmware may fix that issue.
    thanks for the advice. I did notice there was a firmware update, but I will have to wait until I have some time and there is a break in the recording/watching schedule. that's a drawback of having a network based cablecard tuner. when I had an internal tuner it did not need network access. also, I will probably try and have an old router on hand in case there is a problem with the update.

edit:

Update - the firmware update went through without a problem. it seems to have solved the problem. I didn't even lose router access when it was installing the update.
    Last edited by gary94080; 08-29-2014 at 01:56 AM.