Thread: My Mac is Dying

• Original Mice-Chatter

My Mac is Dying

Does someone have a black armband and a dirge?

My iMac G-4 desk muffin is dying.

It's been slow- slower than I need it to be. So Dad and I were going to clear off the stuff I don't need, and use it just for the video stuff I do-
    I went into Disc Utility and it was entirely in red and told me I had a fatal drive error.

Dad came down and told me that my hard drive is dying. He is currently backing up all the stuff on the drive. I'm so upset, especially because I can't afford to fix it, nor to buy a new one.

My mom got one right after me and hers is fine- not at all sure what went wrong.

So- I'm sad.

• The Useless Prince

Blog Entries

Re: My Mac is Dying

NOOOO.....not the iMac.....for a second there i thought you were talking about MAC the chicken

• horsin' around!

OMG that title scared me! if you don't want an avalanche of mac-the-chicken people in here...you may want to clarify that title! haha!

now..i'm so sorry about your puter....its dreadful when that happens!
    especially if they don't give you ample warning enough to back everything up.

• horsin' around!

Quote Originally Posted by Nephythys

It's been slow- slower than I need it to be. So Dad and I were going to clear off the stuff I don't need, and use it just for the video stuff I do-
    I went into Disc Utility and it was entirely in red and told me I had a fatal drive error.

Dad came down and told me that my hard drive is dying. He is currently backing up all the stuff on the drive. I'm so upset, especially because I can't afford to fix it, nor to buy a new one.

My mom got one right after me and hers is fine- not at all sure what went wrong.

So- I'm sad.
    have you checked into www.peoplepc.com??? my niece did that & she's loved it for years! you get to trade it in on a yearly basis for a new one!

• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

So- I'm sad.
    what I would do is just get a external firewire hard drive on ebay and run the imac from there, this is not a guarantee fix as the old drive could still cause the mac to run very slow. Another thing it is really not that hard to open your Imac up and pull the old drive out and put an internal drive in.

What I did when it was time to replace my G3 Imac was to get a mac mini, got it from the apple store. A refurbished unit cost me under $430.00

• Banned User

Just replace the hard drive. Maxtor makes excellent models for much, much less than most other places. For some reason Apple went with a less than competent third party supplier for their hard drives and they almost always need to be replaced after a year or so. I've switched out the drives in both of my Macs with Maxtor drives and never had a further problem. My first Mac is now in my parent's house with a drive I put in five years ago and it's still going strong. It's a nuisance having to get a new drive, but the couple of hundred dollars to get back up and running is much better than a grand for a new Mac, or worse, switching to <ack> <cough> <splutter> PC.

• Original Mice-Chatter

Finished the back up- removed some more stuff and the hard drive verified. I am going to call the Apple Store tomorrow and see if they can help me figure this out-

Thanks for all the tips-

• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

Finished the back up- removed some more stuff and the hard drive verified. I am going to call the Apple Store tomorrow and see if they can help me figure this out-

Thanks for all the tips-
    this is a good message board for mac users

http://forums.macnn.com/

I have found good information there

• The Power To Do More

The only thing you have to worry about is making sure you get the right type of hd, I beleive macs of those vintages used Ulta ATA, current ones I believe use SATA (serial ATA), make sure you get the right type of HD. And count your blessings they stopped using SCSI like in my G3, you don't want to know the premium you pay for those HD's.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

What Jazzman said. As long as you get a compatable drive thats the easiest and cheapest fix. Maxtor and Seagate make good internal drives. Once you have everything backed up then switch out the drives. Backing up onto an external is the best way.

When I had my iMac what saved my bacon was having backups on an external drive. I put a lot of shareware/freeware stuff on it that messed it up. Every time it crashed (and I hate to admit but it was a lot) I had to use Tech Tool Pro, rebuild the volume structures and rebless the system folder. Then finally I lost the directory. I spent 4 days trying to hack into the drive to make sure I had back ups, and finally had to just reinitalize the drive and start over. If I hadn't had the external drive....

I have a G5 tower now running Tiger. Right now I don't have an external backup so I know I'm living on borrowed time. (Shhhh... don't tell my computer that! )

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Banned User

hmm.. if you have an ipod.. (which your not using) that can be a good external HD.. (well, gen 3 and lower are.. as long as you have fire wire cable)

• The Power To Do More

^^^- as well as long as you don't have like 60GB or more data to back up