• And, THEN she said...

Question: E-machine puters

my sis in law's older than dirt Dell Finally gave up the ghost, and she is looking at an E-Machine that was bought in Nov of this year..the guy is a truck driver and has no time to learn how to run it..

now, my question..has E-machine gotten any better Quality wise..Im a bit scared of it cause when I worked for MSN as tech support we were always getting calls on Compaq, E-Machine and HP's they always ended up being a hardware OEM Issue and needed to to taken back to the place of purchase..some of these were just out of the box..

So far ive had good luck with this HP, should she go for the E-Machine or stay away from it?

Thoughts?

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Re: Question: E-machine puters

My last 4 computers have been eMachines. Haven't had any problem with the stock hardware, and with a few upgrades, their higher-end machines can become quite powerful.

Their support still sucks, but most comp. support companies do.
    -Monorail Man

• 'Taint sure it's puddin!

Mother in law has had one for quite some time and been happy with it. Haven't had any hardware issues, and she has gone thru quite a bit of changes, upgrades, etc.

I still think Dell gives you the best overall value for your money, but eMachine seems to be hard to beat for a really good price.
    "Search the boat...."
    First works spoken by Captain Nemo (James Mason) in the Disney classic - 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

PROUD Member Of................

Do you MiceChat?
    There are several ways for you to help support the site you love:
    - visit the MiceChat store
    - Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page
    Whatever you do, your help is much appreciated!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

I've had a 3-machine for 4 years before (thanks to faulty wireing at my house) the motherboard went out. I got a new one and it runs great.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• And, THEN she said...

thanks guys for answering my question..now to call her in the AM and tell her to go for it! (now I need to figure out XP!)

I just hope its not too complicated! (I still have win 98 LOL)

• The Power To Do More

I know i'm a little late here but E-Machines is now owned by Gateway. E-machines use AMD processors which imho are better for the money. I've only seen one retail Gateway with an AMD. Gateway is their "premium" brand and has Intel chips.

Some of the problem also is the "junk" they install with their base install. If you have a Windows Home disc you can do a "fresh" install. This would get rid of some of those OEM problems.

As long as she isn't paying for the E-machines what the guy paid, she should be fine.

As well more people with OEM's have problems because they're usually less knowledgeable users.

Important since this is an OEM, somewhere there is probably a utility to "burn/make" a set of recovery discs, I recommend you tell her to do this, or do it for her. It will only let you do this once. If anything ever messes up it is very nice to have this. She will need blank CDRs or DVDRs for this. Place them in a safe place.

Make sure she gets all the papers, and everything that came with the computer.

For your XP Transition:

In XP You can right click on Start, go to properties you can click on Classic Start Bar, this would make XP more like 98 start bar to ease your transition. Then everything will be in the same place as 98.

As well Control Panel can be switched to classic view if you click a link in the left upper corner of control panel.

Your biggest differences would be finding scan disk and defrag. These improved utilities are located at My Computer, right click on the HD you want to defrag or scan disk then select properties, On your OEM the one HD will "appear" as 2, this is called partitioning, 1 will be a Recovery partition, don't touch this, the other will be the hard drive you use, usually C:. This will then bring up a dialogue box, click on the tab Tools, you will see buttons for Defrag and Scandisk. Defrag actually works in XP, analyse and if its a new computer you will probably have to defrag.