• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

What causes a lost connection?

Let me first admit that my knowledge of computers and the internet is limited. Frankly, I'm pretty sure the technology that powers them both involves a lot of voodoo and magic. Maybe even the burning of exotic herbs somewhere near Seattle or Palo Alto. Now that you know my level of expertise, I hope you can answer my question in a simple, monosyllabic way that I can understand. I've lately become ever so slightly addicted to VMK. Every now and again, I'll be in the middle of a furious game of Castle Fireworks and just when I'm about to post the hugest score in the history of VMK, I am presented with a lovely navy blue box telling me my connection was lost. LOST!? Where did it go?

OK... enough frivolity. How is a connecton "lost?" I'm connected via a phone line (DSL). I'm never in the middle of a phone call and get disconnected all-of-a-sudden. What makes the internet different. What is the @*#@&$% mechanism that cause these spontaneous disconnections?
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Minion

Re: What causes a lost connection?

I would have your ISP (Internet Service Provider) check your DSL line. We had random disconnections at home and it turned out that squirrels (yes, squirrels!) were chewing on our DSL line outside! They fixed that a few months ago and it's been fine since. So, have them check your line to start out with. They might have some tests they can do without sending someone to your house.

If that turns out to be OK, it could be issues on the other end of the connection; meaning the VMK servers themselves. If that's the case, then there's not much you can do about it. I don't play VMK, so I can't comment on whether or not I've had random disconnections. I do play Halo online and run into ocassional disconnections here and there even with our DSL line being OK.

Let us know how this goes!

• Banned User

i was down several times while on dsl. I am so glad for cable now, I have never been down once since I got cable!. being hooked to the phone line has its draw backs, have your phone company check it out, they own the lines, and with ours it happend a lot towards the end before I finally had to get cable

• Shh..

well i dont really know wut causes it but it says: you have not finished a game in tomorrowland.... so you know i think thats how it causes it

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Well theres some totally geek/tech info on DSL here if anyone is so inclined.

http://www.smartcomputing.com/editor...54l06.asp&guid

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

A "lost" connection just means that the pathway between your computer and the server you were connected to was interrupted long enough for the "timeout" value to be exceeded. It could be your PC, it could be your DSL, it could be the server's network connection, or it could be the server itself.

I know that explanation is a bit vague, but you'd have to do some extensive troubleshooting to get a more definite answer.

- Fin

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Yes, lately I've been having issues in the middle of the day losing my DSL connection. I just figure its because of heavier than usual traffic during that time and a not so state of the art network to deal with it. Sometimes I lose it for a couple of hours, sometimes just a few minutes. I just deal because I'm sure if I called to complain Earthlink would say its Verizons problem, and Verison would blame Earthlink.

A facinating site, even thought I don't undestand all of it is www.internettrafficreport.com. It shows various aspects of internet traffic from around the world.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Minion

It's squirrels I tell ya.

• 'Taint sure it's puddin!

Quote Originally Posted by Fingolfin
    A "lost" connection just means that the pathway between your computer and the server you were connected to was interrupted long enough for the "timeout" value to be exceeded. It could be your PC, it could be your DSL, it could be the server's network connection, or it could be the server itself.

I know that explanation is a bit vague, but you'd have to do some extensive troubleshooting to get a more definite answer.

- Fin
    Vague but true; there are so many possible potholes for bits to fall into that it is surprising to me that it works as well as it does. Some more possible causes could be your phone lines themselves, especially if they are split. The inlaws had some faulty wiring that caused DSL to really be inconsistent. Do you have problems all the time with the internet, or just during the games?
    "Search the boat...."
    First works spoken by Captain Nemo (James Mason) in the Disney classic - 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

PROUD Member Of................

Do you MiceChat?
    There are several ways for you to help support the site you love:
    - visit the MiceChat store
    - Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page
    Whatever you do, your help is much appreciated!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Just to clarify a bit: I don't loose my DSL connection. When I'm dumped from VMK, I'm still connected to DSL. That would lead me to believe that the situation I'm experiencing is specific to VMK and their servers. It does tend to happen most often when a large number of people are connected to the game. That said, however, it would seem to me that once I'm connected, I should stay connected. Do servers get overloaded and randomly dump people? Why?
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
    Just to clarify a bit: I don't loose my DSL connection. When I'm dumped from VMK, I'm still connected to DSL. That would lead me to believe that the situation I'm experiencing is specific to VMK and their servers. It does tend to happen most often when a large number of people are connected to the game. That said, however, it would seem to me that once I'm connected, I should stay connected. Do servers get overloaded and randomly dump people? Why?
    Do you ever have problems with noise in your phone calls? Static crunches, echoes, etc? The DSL signal is a radio frequency overlayed on the voice circuit on your telephone wires, and any Outside Plant wire problems that you can hear will also disrupt the DSL signals.

And I see another Woodland Hills location - if you are "South of The Boulevard" (they changed you to an 818-222 or 223 phone number a while back) you are not on a direct copper connection back to the AT&T CNPK-CA switchroom at Topanga and Vanowen, you feed out of one of the remote switching units along Avenue San Luis or in the parking lot of the LDS Church on Mulholland.

And there are areas in the hills west of Valley Circle that are also on remote switching units, but I don't have those prefixes and locations memorized. IIRC one is in the parking lot of Temple Judea, and I think Bell Canyon has their own...

That adds in an extra layer of equipment inside the Controlled Environment Vault near your house with the switching equipment, a fiber-optics hop back to the rest of the world, and a trip through extra circuits at the switchroom. If the internet "backhaul circuit" from the DSL shelf in the CEV to CNPK is overloaded during peak periods, your connection might drop just long enough...

I think I made that simple enough to follow (as in defining all the acronyms and $5 words used ) but I've been wrong before. Bottom line, you need to get AT&T and your ISP to work together at solving the problem.

And here's an important clue to understand: AT&T will react to "noisy phone line" and "failed FAX transmit and receive" complaints a WHOLE LOT faster than a "My DSL is flaky" report - especially if you get your DSL from a third party like Earthlink. So if you also have these other problems, press on getting them repaired first. When they clean up the OSP cabling problem it just might be what is also breaking the DSL.

You do NOT want to switch over to cable internet, that's just a lateral move where you trade one pile of frustration for another - and cable has enourmous security holes. It is very easy to 'wiretap' everyone's internet use (that is not encrypted) on your cable segment if someone wants to set up a packet sniffer.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1