Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Camera

• That Guy

Re: Camera

I have spoken to several professional photogs, who all share the thought to buy a camera from a company that primarily makes cameras. I LOVE Sony stuff, but can they really be experts in radios, TVs, Plasma TVs, car stereos, MP3 players, cameras? Not so much.

I share my peeps view here that Canon is an amazing product, built to last, easy to use, etc.

Stay away from HP, etc. companies that don't have an extensive history in cameras.

Best of luck

• Nice Guy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer
    I have spoken to several professional photogs, who all share the thought to buy a camera from a company that primarily makes cameras. I LOVE Sony stuff, but can they really be experts in radios, TVs, Plasma TVs, car stereos, MP3 players, cameras? Not so much.

I share my peeps view here that Canon is an amazing product, built to last, easy to use, etc.

Stay away from HP, etc. companies that don't have an extensive history in cameras.

Best of luck
    I just bought a Cybershot T30 as a point and shoot camera. It is 7.2 megapixels and a three inch LCD. It is amazing how well the photos come out. With my 2gig memory stick, I can get over 500 shots in fine mode.
    >>Alan<<
    Member 216

• Life is Great!

we have always sworn by canon, for us they have lasted the longest and handled the most abuse.
    {:
    MCDA - A Healthier, Happier Me!

• Huh?

In my collection, I use primarily a Sawyer's, David White Co., LOMO, and 3 Canons.
    -Tim

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by figmentpigment
    im in love with canon cameras. i had a little canon powershot a95 and it was fabulous. its dying now though. i think i used it a bit too much (an average of 4 days a week for a year and a half would be a bit much, i 'spose). im lookin at the new canon powershot a700. it looks nice. and affordable for me.
    i agree

i LOVE canon cameras. i'm on my third one in 3 years ... i seem to wear them out ... i currently have a canon powershot S2 1S ... its was little pricey (at $500) but i needed the 12x zoom and 5 megapix and i LOVE it ... i take it everywhere

i recommend getting a canon

• Gay Man

Canon. Canon. Canon.

Two I recommend are the S80 and the SD700 IS (which I just got and LOVE). I had the SD50 and wanted something a bit smaller with the same tools, features, zoom and pixals. The SD700 has all of that and more. I am in LOVE with my new camera.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Not Afraid
    Canon. Canon. Canon.

Two I recommend are the S80 and the SD700 IS (which I just got and LOVE). I had the SD50 and wanted something a bit smaller with the same tools, features, zoom and pixals. The SD700 has all of that and more. I am in LOVE with my new camera.
    say, does this camera have a wide angle lens?
    I am always looking for a camera that does wide shots. I hate getting so little in on my digitals.

• Huh?

HK... if you want plenty of functionality, you might want to check out one of the Canon Digital Rebels...
    -Tim

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum
    HK... if you want plenty of functionality, you might want to check out one of the Canon Digital Rebels...
    thats what I have, but it's not what I started with. A basic knowledge of SLR cameras and how they work is helpful. I'm amazed on my photgraphy board how many people buy these and are cluless about how they work....whats aperture??...whats f-stop?...why are my pictures to bright ...to dark...blurry???....and the most annoying question of all...what kind of lens should I buy?...IDK...what are you using it for...*sigh*

• Gay Man

Quote Originally Posted by hakuna makarla
    say, does this camera have a wide angle lens?
    I am always looking for a camera that does wide shots. I hate getting so little in on my digitals.
    Not traditional wide angle, but it will do 2 part panorama shots.

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe
    thats what I have, but it's not what I started with. A basic knowledge of SLR cameras and how they work is helpful. I'm amazed on my photgraphy board how many people buy these and are cluless about how they work....whats aperture??...whats f-stop?...why are my pictures to bright ...to dark...blurry???....and the most annoying question of all...what kind of lens should I buy?...IDK...what are you using it for...*sigh*
    Well, I'm all for people learning all that.

Focus-free cameras have spoiled people... before those came about, you couldn't really buy a non-manual camera.
    -Tim

Well, I'm all for people learning all that.

Focus-free cameras have spoiled people... before those came about, you couldn't really buy a non-manual camera.
    ummm...the SLR is still focus free and can be totally automatic, but IMO thats not the point of the SLR type cameras...

also the OP stated
    I have about 300-350 to spend.
    the price range on the rebel xt starts at about $799.00 and may come with one kit lens. It should come with one lens, but that lens is not the best all around lens to use. I rarely use the lens that came with the camera. So, another lens would be anywhere from $200- $1200 more...depending on what you want to use it for. The OP can get a really great camera for $300-$350 that will take wonderful pictures without the learning curve of a SLR.

There is a great canon board. some of the people on it can be a bit rude, but most of the people are very nice and helpful...granted some give advise that you were not asking for like my favorite. Whats a good lens I can get for $300.00. Someones answer was to buy a $2500 lens...LOL....but there's alot of good information on ther as well and a whole section on smalelr canon camera. I looked at some of the pictures and they were really good.

• Huh?

Focus-free cameras are the ones that have a set f-stop at a distance of pretty much infinity -- you know, the same kind of system that's present in every "single use" camera. Basically, fancied-up pinhole cameras.
    -Tim

Focus-free cameras are the ones that have a set f-stop at a distance of pretty much infinity -- you know, the same kind of system that's present in every "single use" camera. Basically, fancied-up pinhole cameras.
    yes....but the SLR's have automatic focus now or you can do it manually. So, I'm confused as to what your saying.....ok, maybe I get it, but all my recent cameras have had to focus. "hold the button down half way" until it ficuses. Most cameras are liek that now. The SLR's are the same, but you can turn that off and focus manually when you want to...

• Huh?

Maybe I'm just using terms that are pretty archaic by today's standards.

Back in the 60s and before, you had nothing but cameras that would allow all kinds of creative controls. Even the simple brownies had advanced controls, allowing you to change the f-stop and shutter speed as needed (though brownies where usually restricted to only 2 or 3 shutter speeds at most). The thing was, most cameras had all kinds of focusing controls, f-stops, shutter speeds, etc. Which meant the average consumer had to know a bit more about photography than they do today.

Then came the devlopment of what was labeled as the "Focus-free" cameras. That's the terminology that they used back then. They were the equivalent of the disposable cameras. Just simple point-and-shoot cameras with no knowledge of how cameras work necessary to do what needed to be done. Just point and push a button. These are the cameras that have dominated the general market the last 35-40 years.

You're right, though.... today's digital cameras are starting to get a little more back to the time that everybody needed to know a little bit about photography before they picked up a camera, although a lot more dumbed down a bit than it used to be. But at least I can pick up a P&S camera and have full control of that. 5 years ago, I wouldn't be able to do that.
    -Tim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12