• That Guy

Question Cell Phones- Using Non-Name Brand Chargers?

I ordered a new Moto PEBL, which is a super cool phone. For some reason I also ordered a non-Moto car charger. My dumb question is, is it okay to use non-Moto stuff for a Moto phone? It says it is the correct voltage, I just don't know if it matters. I kind of pictured a worst case scenario where it fried my batteries or something.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Re: Cell Phones- Using Non-Name Brand Chargers?

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer
    I ordered a new Moto PEBL, which is a super cool phone. For some reason I also ordered a non-Moto car charger. My dumb question is, is it okay to use non-Moto stuff for a Moto phone? It says it is the correct voltage, I just don't know if it matters. I kind of pictured a worst case scenario where it fried my batteries or something.
    You bought the phone and charger from the same company? No problem - if they tried to cheap out and the no-name charger they supplied blows up the new phone, you send them both back and let the supplier deal with it.

There are a few odd instances I have seen where older equipment (like an old Optoelectronics frequency counter I have that goes straight to the NiCads) expects the charger to be both voltage regulated and current limited, and the wrong supply could overcharge the battery pack or do other bad things.

But that has to be rare nowadays, and if they have any brains the equipment maker will state clearly in the instructions WHY you must use their special charger. And at a minimum the charge socket will be marked with voltage and polarity requirements AND the maximum current limit.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1