Help Test Windows Vista!

-Monorail Man

• Banned User

Re: Help Test Windows Vista!

Who's taking advantage of this...

(I need a new comp for this.. Lol)

• I'm your huckleberry.

I'd love to beta test this, but my home computer is a P.O.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• horsin' around!

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man
    okay....with images of past beta's floating through my head..how bout we let YOU test it, then YOU let us know how it works!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Gumball Rally Volunteer!

Its impossible to get right now anyways...site is too busy!
    Happy Anniversary, MiceChat!

• kingdom hearts addict

Wow, just wow! I just downloaded Vista whilst I slept last night, installed ALL day today (I'm testing it out on an older computer), and I must say, I'm VERY impressed by everything that I see, which is saying something because I thought XP was a breakthrough OS. I guess I thought wrong!! Took about 10 hours to download with my connection, and about the same to install on this older computer, but I AM running the "Premium" (or PRO) edition and despite the specs it says you MUST have, it's running relativly fine, albeit a tad slower than I would like.

I'll post a little more when I've played around, but dang, it's mindblowing and I already have people that have been over BEGGING me to burn them a DVD copy so they can have the Vista beta, hehe. Haven't found any bugs yet, but I must say, Microsoft has given a good shot in the air with this OS, indeed!
    ~ official kingdom hearts addict #93748 ~

• Disney Memory Maker

I'm using beta2 right now and have to say it's a huge improvement on XP. Of course, there are a few problems (Creative has yet to make a new vista-ready sound card drivers) but overall, I like it much better than XP. Everything from the design of the taskbar to the easier layout of the address bar (ie: "Users:Michaelocuments:Folder" instead of "D:\Users\Michael\Documents\Folder"). Of course, I'm a bit disappointed my video card can't do the transparency effect, but I'm over it.

Next time I install a new OS though, I will read the directions first. Being that I didn't, I accidently formatted both hard drives.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Banned User

people wonder why i wont install this... it's because this version will expire one year from now... and i dont exactly want to have a tower that i will need to pay for a full copy... (if we beta test we should get a full copy..)

• Vehicle rotating backward

Oh heavens no, this thing is an absolute pig and the way they've priced it will probably anger quite a few.

Maybe on some home experimental machine (but would it even run?) but not on a computer I'd want to do actual work on, this or the final version.

• kingdom hearts addict

^^^ - I'm running Vista on an older computer that doesn't come close to the minimum requirements that Microsoft says you need. In fact, it actually runs a lot better than XP did !

Well, playing around for a couple days I really haven't run in to many problems other than I have come to the conclusion that:

a) Vista will not run as well on lower end systems (you really should have the minimum specs to run Vista, as the beta is the PREMIUM edition and NOT the BASIC edition),
    b) You need one hell of a video card to be able to pull off the awesome visual effects as well as a lot (and I mean a LOT) of RAM and a 1.0 GHz processor or better,
    c) Until it just happened this morning, the network connection to my wireless router kept cutting off whenever I was idling and not constantly using my connection,
    d) Vista is really aimed at two groups of computer users from what I can see: the hardcore gaming crowd, and anyone dealing with multimedia (video, art, blah blah blah).

I do have to say that even on my experimental desktop this is one hell of an OS. Everything has been redone and with finess. I LOVE the new start menu for one, being able to quick search for a program is awesome, and getting rid of the cascading menus was probably the best thing ever to do! Media Center, Media Player 11, and even the new IE7 are awesome and really giving other programs like iTunes or Mozilla Firefox a run for their money (even URGE, the MP11 music store is really innovative compared to the iTunes MP3 store). Everything is ORGANIZED and EASY TO FIND for once, and that helps because I am so OCD when it comes to organizing my HDD and desktop! Being able to lock the desktop is nice when you don't want any nosy or rude roommates playing around on your computer. The only real gripe I have was having to search for my old User folder (which is located in the USERS folder in the C:\ directory) to get all of my files and folders I wanted to keep when switching from XP SP2 to the Vista beta. And if you're a gamer, the shortcuts to all games you install are thrown in the Start Menu GAMES folder to keep everything organized and keep your desktop uncluttered ^_^!

If you have a computer laying around, or even if you partition your HDD you should really give this OS a shot. Price? I don't care how much this is going to cost, I can already tell it's well worth the money and I'm running the beta! But then again, I'm already investing a pretty penny in a new gaming PC, so why not run an OS that is pretty much dedicated to gaming and multimedia?

Oh, and another cool thing, Vista and the XBOX 360 (even though I HATE the 360) sync together and are supposed to be able to pull of some crazy stuff, I just haven't been able to figure out what or where any of it is located!

A quick question also for anyone computer savvy since I've been out of the loop the past couple of years: What are the main differences between a x32 and a x64 bit system and how would that make the two different (x32/x64) versions of Vista different/compare to each other? (I realize that x64 needs a 64 bit processor like the AMD Athlon 64). I'm just curious as to how it's different, how it runs, etc...

EDIT - Does Vista run in High Definition?! Because it sure seems like it, but I can't tell because my video card is horrible and old, and I don't have a LCD or HD ready monitor ...
    Last edited by darkincite; 06-17-2006 at 07:58 AM.
    ~ official kingdom hearts addict #93748 ~

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Quote Originally Posted by darkincite
    b) You need one hell of a video card to be able to pull off the awesome visual effects as well as a lot (and I mean a LOT) of RAM and a 1.0 GHz processor or better
    Not a 'hell of a video card', it just needs to be fully DirectX 9 compliant, and you only need about 512MB of RAM. In a year or two, this will be nothing, and most machines will be running the full Aero experience.

As for x32 vs. x64, the main difference is that x64 can perform better with applications that are written for x64. If all you're going to do is run current x32 apps over x64, then you will see no difference in those apps. I've been running XP Pro x64 for quite a while, just because 90% of the stuff I do is a bit faster (video encoding, editing, etc.).
    -Monorail Man

• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man
    I know that I will get heat for saying this but I will anyway.

I saw a version of Vista a few weeks ago, and allmost everything it has to offer has been running on Macs for the past year or so. I use a PC at work and I will be glad when the "IT" people see fit to put vista on my work computer. It has to be better than XP. My work computer crashes about 2 to 3 times a day.
    THIS SPACE FOR SALE OR LEASE

PRESIDENT OF THE DISNEYLAND LOOP LOVERS ASSOCIATION

• Prefect

Blog Entries

We put it on one of our computers here last week. I'm still getting used to it, but so far it's been great. I love the look of it!
    <o>

• Shubisha

That doesn't look like a Mac one bit.

I would prefer to stab myself in the ear with a sharp stick and eat my own head, than to Beta test Windows Vista. It is a POS, big time. Let them build it to at least a usable version, then we might talk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast