Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Oh PowerBook, why have you forsaken me?

Today my PowerBook encountered technical difficulties. I'm approaching the one-year anniversary of it's purchase and have yet to encounter ANY technical difficulties with it (except for a mis-hap with the power adapter a while back), and now it pretty much dies on me.

Luckily, I purchased the AppleCare Protection Plan, and as always Apple is pleased to help me with my problem... I'm getting a series of three beeps on start-up and a blank screen, which apparently means my ROM is encountering problems. Being the fool I am, I have not backed up any of my files, so there's a big chance all of my files will be lost into digital heaven. I think that is going to be my biggest blow. Being somewhat of a free-lance graphic designer, I've done numerous projects for a local theater in Bakersfield and I am going to die if those files get lost - I need them for a portfolio someday soon as I apply for art schools.

Anyway, I just felt the need to cry a little about it, so I came to the always loving world of MiceChat.

It's going to suck having to live off my old Dell PC for the next couple weeks. I hate this thing!

Oh well.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Princess of my own world

Re: Oh PowerBook, why have you forsaken me?

I'm sorry to hear about your potiential loss. How about we pray that everything turns out okie dokie? Anyways I know how you feel when my computer crashed and I thought I lost everything... including digital pictures from several years of family outings and bdays. Hopefully it will all work out. Best of Luck!
    Visit my blog: Shutters & Scribbles

Check out my class's Donors Choose page:
    Wildcat Projects
    **Donors Choose is a place where teachers post projects for their classes and request materials and/or technology for that project. People then can make donations starting at just $1 to help fund that project. This is a great way to support teachers and their classes!**

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey
    I'm getting a series of three beeps on start-up and a blank screen, which apparently means my ROM is encountering problems. Being the fool I am, I have not backed up any of my files, so there's a big chance all of my files will be lost into digital heaven.
    If your ROM chip is all that is bad, there is a good chance that everything on your drive should be intact. The ROM only holds the information on how the computer works, how it finds the directory, what startup sequence to go through etc... Nothing on your drive should of been affected. But yes... we all know how important backups are... the only thing that saved my bacon when I had my old iMac was the fact that I had an external drive with everything backed up on it....

.... and now that I have my G5 tower.... uh... no I don't have a backup yet either.... living on the ragged edge of excitement there I know...

Let us know how everything turns out!!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Collapse the waveform

Macs, they just work.

Snicker.
    Follow me on Twitter: @matthamand

I am not a MAC expert I deal with "the other" kind but my fried pointed me to this conclusion.

Three beeps: No RAM banks passed memory testing. If a RAM card is installed in the upper expansion slot (if not, skip to next step), remove and restart. If symptom does NOT repeat, replace RAM card. If symptom repeats, replace RAM in lower RAM slot with known-good and compatible RAM card and restart. If symptom repeats, replace logic board. If a RAM card is NOT installed in the upper expansion slot, replace RAM in lower RAM slot with known-good and compatible RAM card and restart (whew!) If symptom repeats, replace logic board.

Good Luck,
    Tara

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Thanks, ilovetink - You're right in your conclusion... I got an email from Apple from the AppleCare representative I spoke with on the phone:

If a fault is detected during the test, you will not hear a normal startup chime. Instead, the system will beep as explained below. If you experience one of these beeps, you may call your Apple Authorized Service Provider for additional troubleshooting assistance. 1 beep = no RAM installed
    2 beeps = incompatible RAM types
    3 beeps = no good banks
    4 beeps = no good boot images in the boot ROM (and/or bad sys config block)
    5 beeps = processor is not usable
    Not quite sure what this means... But it cant be good, I'm guessing.

I'm taking it down to CompUSA in a bit to see what I can do about it, hopefully they can fix it in-store within a couple of days and I don't have to send it in to Apple for 7-10 days.

Wish me luck

| | |

• They wanna know, HO!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hamand
    Macs, they just work.

Snicker.
    They do. Instead of offering help, you just make side comments.

Snicker.

Don't worry about it, the HD is fine and all work can be recovered. The ONLY time work cannot be recovered is when the HD is corrupted or damaged.

Oh, and if you can get to an Apple Store, do so. They're better at it than CompUSA.
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

• Former Epcot CM

I'm real sorry about your loss. I understand how frustrating it can be.

Don't take this the wrong way, but maybe something good can come out of this - i.e. you backing up your files in the future.

Sorry if the files are lost.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

CompUSA called me last night as I was on my way to Disneyland - my computer was A-Okay and ready to be picked up.

I picked 'er up today and she's as good as ever!

Now its time to back up all my files just in case something happens again...

| | |

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Good to hear all is a-okay. But I must agree with testtrack that the Apple Store really is a great tool. Just make a reservation online and head on over.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O
    Good to hear all is a-okay. But I must agree with testtrack that the Apple Store really is a great tool. Just make a reservation online and head on over.
    Yeah, I would definately take it to an Apple Store, but being in Bakersfield the closest one is two hours away in LA so "heading on over" is easier said than done with the drive between here and there is a little more than going to my local CompUSA.

Oh well, things are good for now I can't complain!

| | |

• Banned User

wow.. macs have problems.. weird.. i guess it still works better than this Compaq or my linux HP(Still havn't used it.. lol)

At least it was the ram and not HD.. thats painfull to have a burned out HD... (why else do i have a linux HP)

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey
    Yeah, I would definately take it to an Apple Store, but being in Bakersfield the closest one is two hours away in LA so "heading on over" is easier said than done with the drive between here and there is a little more than going to my local CompUSA.

Oh well, things are good for now I can't complain!
    Wow, I feel so spoiled now.

• Minion

I'm sorry
    I'm in love with Apples and when stuff like this happens it makes me mad

• Winter in Oceanside...

I feel your pain... My Mac is currently in the shop too. Early diagnosis is a burnt out fan. But he's an oldie (over 5 years) and I guess you can expect some issues. I am now forced to work on DH's PC. Don't know how you guys live with these things!

Glad your Mac is up and running again MasterG!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast