View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• They wanna know, HO!

Mac guy, but I'm posting on a Windows machine, ironic, no?

Here's a little link for the Linux users out there....

http://media.big-boys.com/files02/switchlinux.swf
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

• Sock Puppet

OS X. I'm visiting family this weekend and am about to sell 2 or 3 Mac minis to the mom and sister. I'm tired of virii and spyware and rebooting 20 times every time I come out for a visit. I've used PCs a lot as well, but Mac is a nicer place to be.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries
    I've always prefered the Apple/Mac platform, starting with the Apple IIe's. Right now I have a 6 year old iMac running 9.0 but as soon as Tiger starts to ship I'll have a G5!! I have been forced to learn some XP for one of my jobs, and have PC's at the other job... but every time I try to do something on a PC or try to work with the Novell network I always think to myself.... " If this was a Mac this would be soooo much faster and easier.... '

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Quote Originally Posted by Socapex
    I belive they are all at a Star Trek convention.
    Now now.. Some of them make it to GenCon.

-C.J.

OSX on the g4 Powerbook
    os9.2 on the Bondi blue rev A Imac
    xp on the wifes lap top
    xp pro at work

like the osx best, the more I use it the more i like it.... the imovie is great for easy video... just love it...

• e komo mai

Mac OSX

• It's all nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986
    Also.. if you use linux.. which brand...
    Not to be a stickler, but technically it is called a distribution…or distro for short.

I'm running XP sp2 on my main box, and win 98/Redhat 9 on my older box.

• Miranda Lambert and Me!

I am a Windows XP man. Don't know why. I guess I am a big gamer and the most games come out for Windows!!!!!
    Listen to me on the radio!

us101country.com Fridays- 9p-12m ET and Saturdays- 7p-10p ET

981thelegend.com Monday-Friday - 12m-6a ET

rock105.net Sundays - 10p-12m ET

You can also visit my DJ blog HERE!
    Also, I have a Myspace- CLICK HERE

Rats Mad Hatter beat me to the punch, I was going to say it was Distro and not brand

Anywho my present computer is running windows XP service pack 2 (I'm ashamed to say)

I've setup and run many linux boxes in the past

my first linux box ran off of Caldera Openlinux (which ironicaly became SCO the company that tried to sue all linux users after buying the rights to Unix from IBM)

then I tried Redhat, Mandrake and Lycoris Linux

I eventualy went back to Mandrake because Lycoris's Install of WINE (WINdows Emulator) didn't work very well and installing it on Mandrake it worked very nicely (I installed Microsoft Powerpoint and got it to load, sadly I couldn't get the rest of MS office to work because I was using a beta and I couldn't simulate a restart)

WINE is a program that lets you run Windows Programs in Linux btw
    www.winehq.com

oh and BigDaddyKyle as far as games go you and anyone else who would consider switching to Linux except for not wanting to give up game support there's a pretty nifty setup for that

www.transgaming.com they've got a list of all the games that you can run under Linux using their software, it's pretty neat, I believe Suse offers a very good CD to buy of this program if you don't feel like paying the subscription

yeah I'm looking really strongly at Linux but you can't blame me the next version of windows is so filled with Spyware I'm scared that I'll get arrested or sued for no apparant reason (damn that digital mellinium copywrites act, the government signed it but yet it conflicts with the right we're supposed to have to manipulate the state of media we buy which was given to us in a supreme coart ruling I believe?)

• It's all nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    WINE is a program that lets you run Windows Programs in Linux btw
    www.winehq.com
    This is a very cool program. But i've always thought it was some sort of paradox that we go to linux to try and avoid windows, only to try to run windows apps on our linux box. a necessary evil i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter
    This is a very cool program. But i've always thought it was some sort of paradox that we go to linux to try and avoid windows, only to try to run windows apps on our linux box. a necessary evil i guess.
    well in general I think I would switch to Koffice or whatever other Linux program there is as long as I can still read my old documents, I try installing Office because it's simpler and more mainstream then other things

I perfer Linux overall because next time around it's not going to be telling Disney that I copy DVD's (which is perfectly legal since we have the right to backup data so as long as I don't sell it for $$$ I can do whatever I want with media that I buy, however the arguement is that decrypting the data is illegal dispite the fact that the encryption is preventing me from excersizing my rights to manipulate my own media) and then sueing me for pirating or potentialy pirating data. Privacy won't exist in the next version of windows

I just want my games to work, along with a few smaller programs like MSN messenger and whatnot so that I can still talk with my girlfriend and a few other people convienently online

I've already promised myself that I won't be installing windows next time around, I don't buy into this "in order to stave off future piracy all customers must be treated as potential criminals" I thought we lived in america were we were innocent until proven guilty :confused:

• It's all nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    I've already promised myself that I won't be installing windows next time around, I don't buy into this "in order to stave off future piracy all customers must be treated as potential criminals" I thought we lived in america were we were innocent until proven guilty :confused:

couldn't have said it better than myself. like when i've tried to copy my copy of roller coaster tycoon 3 so i could save and protect the original disk...it won't let me because it has some special copyright protection.

microsoft will learn soon enough. there are already select brands of PCs that ship with distros of linux installed. they can't and will never control everything.

~~goes to make t-shirts that say "micechat against the corporate machine!"~~

• Banned User

Hmm.. Linux.. What did Fedora come out and i upgrade to version 3 and have open office.... and a freeware open scourse messenger that connects to aim & msn....

Linux rocks... just got to finnish learning how to work it....
    (anyone know what FTP cliant to use.. and how to install it on Fedora core 3.. I dont have the original disks to get it from.. & it didn't install..)

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986
    Hmm.. Linux.. What did Fedora come out and i upgrade to version 3 and have open office.... and a freeware open scourse messenger that connects to aim & msn....

Linux rocks... just got to finnish learning how to work it....
    (anyone know what FTP cliant to use.. and how to install it on Fedora core 3.. I dont have the original disks to get it from.. & it didn't install..)
    I like NCFTP. Do this on the Linux box at a command prompt:

wget http://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/dis...1.8-2.i386.rpm

rpm -Uhv ./ncftp-3.1.8-2.i386.rpm

You now have ncftp. It's a great text based ftp client
    "Your dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney

• Banned User

Note to self.. I shoulod mention how i am a used to the windows versions and not text FTPing....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast