Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: OS Question

  1. #1

    • And, THEN she said...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Out in the middle of nowhere
    Posts
    2,264

    OS Question

    ok guys.. the bf is having me a computer built and i get to choose the OS for it..the guy has Lindows, Windows ME or I can pay the 90 bucks for XP home.. if i choose Lindows or ME he will just give it to me and not tack it on to the total cost of the puter but if I go for XP home, that is going to be tacked on

    now the question which one should I go for

    ive been using 98 ever since i had my first puter so ive really not kept up with all of the OS's so im kind of lost here...HELP! LOL


  2. #2

    • Just this guy......
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,535

    Re: OS Question

    I know that it costs more, but go get XP.

  3. #3

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,102
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: OS Question

    I'd say fork over the $90 for Windows XP Home. Windows XP will be the easiest for you to get support for if you ever need it.

    Windows ME was just filler between Windows 98 and Windows XP. You could ask what Windows 2000 would cost you. It was released a few months before Windows ME and is typically considered to be superior.

    Lindows is actually Linux (so no help from Microsoft or the vast majority of computer users).

  4. #4

    • I'm your huckleberry.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ventura County, CA
    Posts
    6,176

    Re: OS Question

    Do not, I repeat, do NOT get ME. Its a total POS. You'll be happy with the extra dough for XP, its well worth it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

    Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

  5. #5

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Gumball Rally Volunteer!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Stanton, California, United States
    Posts
    2,484

    Re: OS Question

    I don't think Microsoft is even supporting ME anymore.

    Get XP Home. It's a much better OS anyways.
    Happy Anniversary, MiceChat!

  6. #6

    •   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    All smiles at the DL!
    Posts
    20,517
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: OS Question

    Ok, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my ME!! XP is doody.
    However, Demigod is right, MS is stopping ME support in July, so don't get that.
    WHY they're doing that before Vista comes out, I don't know.
    So I would go with XP. Ugh, good luck!!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...





  7. #7

    • And, THEN she said...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Out in the middle of nowhere
    Posts
    2,264

    Re: OS Question

    thanks for the advice guys! im still not sure what im going to go for..i found out that to make xp do what i want i have to buy the 90 dollar program and THEN fork over another 19.95 for xp to do what i want..im a theme builder and to install and build the themes i have to get a plus pack.. im actually thinking of trying to get 98SE put in it if i can...home worries me and ME dont sound so hot either LOL


  8. #8

    • insufferable know-it-all
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Location: Location
    Posts
    9,648

    Re: OS Question

    ME sucks, don't do it!

    I resisted XP for the longest time, preferring 98SE, but I'm finally using XP and I have to say it's very stable.

    Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...



  9. #9

    • They wanna know, HO!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    860

    Re: OS Question

    The guy suggested ME?

    Please punch him.

    XP for PCs, OSX for Macs.
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

  10. #10

    • Minion FOREVER!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Campbell, CA
    Posts
    3,023

    Re: OS Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Groomer
    thanks for the advice guys! im still not sure what im going to go for..i found out that to make xp do what i want i have to buy the 90 dollar program and THEN fork over another 19.95 for xp to do what i want..im a theme builder and to install and build the themes i have to get a plus pack.. im actually thinking of trying to get 98SE put in it if i can...home worries me and ME dont sound so hot either LOL
    Sorry for being dense, but what kind of "themes" do you build?

    There is no Microsoft like support for Lindows/Linux, but there are a lot of forums
    with good help (which is often faster and better than Windows support). Also
    you can't beat the price. But the support for games is lackluster. BUT
    it is even more stable than even XP. (the OS itself rarely freezes and rarely does
    an application or peripheral freezing cause it to die).

    So basically depends on what you need the PC for.

    Oh, and no way should you put on ME... but everyone's already said that. :-)

  11. #11

    • And, THEN she said...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Out in the middle of nowhere
    Posts
    2,264

    Re: OS Question

    Quote Originally Posted by nish221
    Sorry for being dense, but what kind of "themes" do you build?

    There is no Microsoft like support for Lindows/Linux, but there are a lot of forums
    with good help (which is often faster and better than Windows support). Also
    you can't beat the price. But the support for games is lackluster. BUT
    it is even more stable than even XP. (the OS itself rarely freezes and rarely does
    an application or peripheral freezing cause it to die).

    So basically depends on what you need the PC for.

    Oh, and no way should you put on ME... but everyone's already said that. :-)
    the stuff i build is the background, color and sound the puter shows on your desktop. all of my stuff is stored at themes unlimited and i made sure none of my files are wrapped with spycrap..if you want to check out what ive built so far go to http://www.themesunlimited.com then go to top authors on the first page at the top, i was top author in november of last year. all of my stuff is under the username surfkat1


  12. #12

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,102
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: OS Question

    You shouldn't have to pay anything extra for themes with Windows XP. Actually, there is a lot more official theme support with Windows XP. I also had no problem using themes I had on Windows 2000 (but it is unrelated to Windows 98 or Windows ME so support may vary) in Windows XP.

  13. #13

    • MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    4,617

    Re: OS Question

    Quote Originally Posted by testtrack321
    XP for PCs, OSX for Macs.
    Wait, I thought it was:

    OSX/XP for PCs & OSX/XP for Mac
    -Monorail Man

  14. #14

    • And, THEN she said...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Out in the middle of nowhere
    Posts
    2,264

    Re: OS Question

    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O
    You shouldn't have to pay anything extra for themes with Windows XP. Actually, there is a lot more official theme support with Windows XP. I also had no problem using themes I had on Windows 2000 (but it is unrelated to Windows 98 or Windows ME so support may vary) in Windows XP.
    ok cool that makes me feel a bit better about xp..i was kind of worried that i couldnt build or install the stuff i make..that is my relaxation as well as playing with graphics

    guess if i cant get 98se back in the new one, i guess i will go with xp home..if do get stuck with home i may be in here alot more crying for help when i get stuck I have xp for dummies but its not answering my questions very well LOL


  15. #15

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,102
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: OS Question

    Well if you get Windows 98 be prepared that Microsoft is dropping support on July 11th of this year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Trivia Question, Question.
    By bikeracerpat in forum Yesterland
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-16-2008, 01:55 PM
  2. Carnation Cafe question (n00b-ish question maybe)
    By DarthBrian in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-27-2006, 12:17 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •