Thread: ipod question?

• Waiting for the stork

Question ipod question?

OK so I'm a bit confused, I got an ipod about a month ago,
    it's 30GB (which is probably relavent in a minute)

~Is it possable to download my own DVD's tto the comp then to the ipod like I do music???

~If so, how much space does a typical movie use up?

~can you deleate what you put on an ipod or is it stuck....(don't laugh too hard, I really don't know....) how do I deleat it, if I can?

I want to put some movies on for the trip (there are a few times that I will be the only one awake, and will need to stay that way so I thought this would be convienent) but I don't want to permently have them stuck in my ipod...

Yup I'm totaly oblivious to this stuff...

any help greatly apreciated.

Thanks in advance
    ~Tink
    procrastibating

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

Re: ipod question?

if there is a DVD-iPod converter/ripper I want to know about it.
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• Waiting for the stork

I guess that means no

Damn
    procrastibating

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Gumball Rally Volunteer!

Actually, there is a way to use the iPod as a personal portable hard drive.

DVDs usually take up about 4.7GB of space, plus or minus.

Any DVD-ripping program can make the DVD into a file you can put on your iPod.

You just can't watch it on the iPod.

You'd have to download it from the iPod to another PC and then watch it on the PC, or re-burn it to a DVD and watch it on a player.

If you have a VIDEO iPod, you can use a DVD-converting program to convert the movie to a format that the Video iPod can play.
    Happy Anniversary, MiceChat!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

You would have to rip a DVD using DVD ripping software. During that time you would have to rip it to a file format where the audio and video are actually seperate files inside the one files. Then you would have to convert the file into the iPod friend QuickTime format, whatever it is.

You can delete stuff off of an iPod. If you go itno iTunes you have the option of only having "checked" items in your library being on your iPod.

Your best bet is probably just going to be betting the video off of the iTunes Music Store. A lot of TV shows are available, short films (Disney, Pixar, award winners), and a couple of full movies (High School Musical being the only specific one I know of). IMO, this would probably be your best and easiet route. You're not dealing with lots of software or anything risky like viruses or copyright laws.

You could risk using something like a P2P software and find a movie you already own in the iPod video format. The problems you may encounter though are maleware (viruses), lousy quality, not getting the full thing, long download times, or the wrong file format.

• Waiting for the stork

thanks, I appreciate the help...

I looked on the Itunes store, I didn't see anything interesting, so I thought I'd bring my own...oh well.

maybe I'll just have to buy the little personal DVD player after all
    procrastibating

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

I downloaded Ferris Buellers day off, its the only full length movie that the dubbing didn't get completely off in the converting process.

( I own the DVD so its ok)
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• Mousketeer

I think Roxio makes a program called popcorn that will convert your files for ipod.

• Minion

just do a google for Ipod ripper and a ton of them will come up. One thing I do know is SONY vegas has covert to PSP which is same as Ipod. Thats the one I use. It not cheap but you can also edit the video on there.
    Jason

• They wanna know, HO!

I use Handbreak on my Mac.
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

• Mary Blair Lover

On Download.com, you'll find a bunch of DVD to Ipod format converters...

Download.com DVD to iPod

A while back, I bought the "PQ DVD to Ipod Converter" This one now seems to be the most popular on download.com.

PQ DVD to iPod converter

For me, this program has worked beautifully. It currently costs $35. I have many full length DVDs on my 30 gig iPod video. A bit of warning however, if your computer is older or slower, the conversion speed can be painfully slow. I imagine that's true of all converters. To find out, you can download it and try it for free. (It will only do 10 minutes or less at a time until you purchase.) As far as space, most converter programs will allow you to adjust video and sound quality to suit your needs. For me, in the PQ program, I set the video quality slightly higher then the default and the sound at full quality stereo. At that setting you get about 100 megabytes per half hour. Highest quality video is unnecessary if you are only going to use the tiny iPod screen. Highest quality video should only be used if you plan to connect your iPod to a TV.

To delete a video or song from your iPod, all you need to do is connect your iPod to iTunes, find the song/video you want to delete, right click it and select "clear."

I also recomened this website:

iLounge

It's my favorite iPod website, it has anything and everything you need know about your iPod. It has a good help section too. (with probably even more recommendations on your DVD to iPod question) PQ DVD to iPod is, i believe, for PC only. So if you have a Mac, this website will steer you in the right direction.

Hope that helped!