Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Zero Blockout Dates

Re: Blu-Ray players available (for $999)

BluRay is good because Disney tells me it is.
    Last edited by Uzmati; 07-18-2006 at 07:44 PM.
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy2
    Ever seen a DVD labeled compatible with PS2? Isn't that an Oxymoron? Doesn't the PS2 have a DVD player... then is should work.
    That was more marketing strategy than anything... I don't think many paid much attention to that.

However, I do think that PS3's built-in blu-ray capability will do a lot to boost that market. Xbox 360's HD-DVD attatchment I doubt will go over so well. We'll see once the two finally start going head-to-head.
    -Tim

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog
    After E3 and the negative reviews of the PS3 and the Blu-ray, I think Sony is working its way down, down, down.

HD-DVD and Blu-ray are pointless to the average consumer who cannot see a difference between regular DVD and those new formats. You have to have a gigantoid TV and a top of the line 6 channel surround system in order to notice any sort of quality difference. The average consumer does not have these things.
    What we have to remember is that the consumer market is changing. The stubborn older consumer who has a hard time adapting to new technologies is being countered by my generation that grew up on technology. We are changing the face of entertainment and the way we get entertainment. It took my parents FOREVER to decide to get a DVD player. They rarely use the home computer, and my mom hardly ever uses her iPod Video. They aren't comfortable with technology. I on the other hand love it all, and love it when new technologies are released.

The older generation still buys CD's, while the newer realizes the value of buying digital copies. The same will be for Blu-Ray or HD DVD. It took nearly 10 years for DVD's to take over VHS anyway...

Sure the hardcore gamer will spend the $600 on a PS3. What a waste, when more innovative games are coming out for the Wii and Xbox360 for hundreds upon hundreds of dollars less. It isn't like NOBODY is going to buy it -- hell, people even bought the NeoGeo -- but I don't think it's going to catch on with the casual gamers for $600. Or with the parents over Xmas.
    That's all personal taste. Nintendo has always been "innovative", they've also haven't been the leader in the past two generations.

I'm in serious doubt that Blu-ray (and perhaps even HD-DVD) will catch on. My friends that DO have the high-end systems (and that have worked in the entertainment industry) think that HD-DVD and Blu-ray will become niche markets, like Laserdisc.
    I doubt it. The PS3 alone sort of secures a better fate than LaserDisc. People are already asking questions at local Blockbusters and Hollywood Video about the formats. There is interest, and the PS3 will install a user base relatively quickly.

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    The older generation still buys CD's, while the newer realizes the value of buying digital copies.
    I'm one of the few that actually sees the value of buying a CD and backing up, I guess. I only buy pure digital copies when absolutely necessary...

Besides, digital mediums are some of the most fragile formats ever made, but some of the strongest at the same time.

I'd rather start with something a bit more tangible and back up on computers for usage on my phone, PSP, MP3-CD for my car, etc. The art of the liner notes and CD packaging might be lost in the race to go pure digital.

Of course, know that I still love vinyl and laserdisc, too. I love my new technologies coexisting with the old.
    -Tim

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    I doubt it. The PS3 alone sort of secures a better fate than LaserDisc. People are already asking questions at local Blockbusters and Hollywood Video about the formats. There is interest, and the PS3 will install a user base relatively quickly.
    You're assuming that the Ps3 is going to sell a TON of units at $600 (we're talking in the millions of units here, and relatively quickly), and that, on top of that, people will start replacing their DVD collection with Blu-Ray -- for a unnoticeable quality difference unless you have a very high end system. I have serious doubts about those things happening.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Huh?

It might not happen immediately (probably won't due to limited quantities that launches always have), but give it some time... people are much more willing to buy up new technologies today (whether they understand them or not) than 10 years ago.
    -Tim

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum
    However, I do think that PS3's built-in blu-ray capability will do a lot to boost that market. Xbox 360's HD-DVD attatchment I doubt will go over so well. We'll see once the two finally start going head-to-head.
    Uhm.. You don't need a video game machine to play these things. I don't know why anyone would want to buy an Xbox and an attatchment for a player when they could get a standalone player for less most likely. Then again, if HD-DVD players don't go down because they cost half as much as Blu-Ray, I guess I could understand, but I don't think that will be the case.

I thought it was the older people buying stuff from iTunes? Most the young people I've mentioned it to think iTunes is unacceptable because it's got copyright protection they don't approve of.

• I Love Teaching!

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    Uhm.. You don't need a video game machine to play these things. I don't know why anyone would want to buy an Xbox and an attatchment for a player when they could get a standalone player for less most likely.
    The reason for the attachment rather than stand alone is because the entertainment center is already pretty full. You have your new and exciting X-Box 360, which is next to your modded original x-box. Then you have your PS2, and have dusted off shelf space for the PS3, and will keep that space clean available so that when you pick up your PS3 it is ready to be hooked into your entertainment center. Don't forget that your Gamecube also has its special place along with the sound system reciever, and your HD cable box.

Now in all seriousness, it will be interesting to see if Blue Ray will be the new beta, howerver it is exciting to see all of the ever changing technology in home entertainment. I wouldn't be surprised if when looking at the new technology at the stores if the workers didn't set it up right. Sometimes the people in the blue shirts don't know very much.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Or, like me, your idea of a video game is Ms Pac-Man and so you don't own any more than one of those things.

Really, the most irritating thing I've found about the movie media wars isn't the arguement over which one will win or whether they'll both die out (I'm placing my money on "they both die out"), but when they magically transform into PlayStation VS The World despite movies being a secondary after-thought of all the game boxes.

At Sears today to buy a washer/dryer, I noticed they had HD-DVD, no Blu-Ray. Hmm.

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    At Sears today to buy a washer/dryer, I noticed they had HD-DVD, no Blu-Ray. Hmm.
    And with the production of the Blu-Ray lagging behind, pushing the PS3 to November, and with no Blu-Ray available until 2007 in Europe, Sony is seemingly going to fall flat on its face with this one.

Honestly tho, I'll believe one format or the other has "made it" when I see the internal Blu-Ray or HD-DVD being packaged standard with every home computer.

Is it even an option yet to get one of these on your home computer?
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12