• That Guy

Super PDAs- BlackBerry, Treo, etc. Which One do I Want?

Do you guys have any opinions on which to get? I am looking at getting a Palm Treo 650 from Cingular. I wonder how surfing is? I see that it will cost another $40 a month to have unlimited web access, I'm just not sure how fast/smooth it is.

Any stories would be greatly appreciated.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Re: Super PDAs- BlackBerry, Treo, etc. Which One do I Want?

The other option is the Windows Mobile phones. I would honestly say that if you need to read email anywhere, these things are good to have. If your work doesn't require your email to be a constant lifeline to what you do, however, they're overpriced and underpowered.

You're talking about web surfing, and I'd honestly say just to get a cheap laptop instead. The browser features on all the choices are rather lacking, compared to features like PDA functions, reading email, opening Word documents, etc. They also tend to be lackluster as phones.

By the way, if I may ask, are you buying this at their discount price with a service contract? Be aware that Cingular's service contract is two years, and I can tell you that in two years phones can change a LOT. If you'd like some alternatives let me know and I can spill out my cell phone buying advice.

• That Guy

Thanks so much for you info. I just bought an unlocked MOTO PEBL which is a cool phone, I just put my SIM card in it and fired it up.

For work, I have a new laptop with a Verizon nationwide wireless card and contract that works well. I guess I just wanted one of those PDAs for screwing around when I am bored, but when I read your post I realized that it wouldn't work as well as my laptop. Plus my laptop is paid for by work, whereas I would be coughing up the dough for my phone.

I know about the contract stuff with Cingular, I have been with them/AT&T forever so I don't mind the contract angle. I like the service and the rollover minutes are great.

Yeah, I've recently been shopping myself to ditch this fossil of a phone I have, so I've done research about the various providers and contracts, etc. T-Mobile and Verizon are the only ones left who offer you a 1 year contract, and they do so by reducing the discount by $50. I think it's worth it if you're like me and you can't resist the gee-whiz phones of tomorrow. My contract on this clunker Sony-Ericsson expires this September, and over the past two years I've watched as phones get fancier and I'm stuck in the dark ages, hehe. I'm also an AT&T guy who was brought into the Cingular fold and I've found that Cingular treats AT&T customers like second-class citizens.

Glad to hear you got something that worked for you. I actually have that same kind of phone, I too have been with AT&T forever but their coverage is too weak here and I'm unhappy with their service like I said above, so I bought a PEBL from T-Mobile with a 1 year contract. This fits so well in my front pocket that it makes the old Sony T637 feel huge.

• That Guy

True, true. I think buying unlocked new phones off the web is a nice 'F-you' to the phone companies who take our money and treat us like second class citizens.

• I'm your huckleberry.

As someone who supports executives who live on their BlackBerries, I can definitively say.... STAY AWAY! They're major P.O.S.'s. They're constantly losing their synching, they're VERY delicate, and pretty cumbersome to use for websurfing. Really though, the major problem is the synching issues. Ugh.

I have spent far to much of my life trying to "fix" my boss' BB to ever, ever let someone buy one without a major warning!

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperbole
    As someone who supports executives who live on their BlackBerries, I can definitively say.... STAY AWAY! They're major P.O.S.'s. They're constantly losing their synching, they're VERY delicate, and pretty cumbersome to use for websurfing. Really though, the major problem is the synching issues. Ugh.
    I've seen that. I think the Treos perform better but I honestly feel they're overpriced. The Windows Mobile phones are supposed to be decent and the T-Mobile SDA is supposed to be a fairly okay way to get into that, but I'm a heavy Mac user so there's obvious compatability/sync problems.

If I was going to buy one of these things, I'd be waiting to see what happens with the Motorola Q, specifically if it will be supported by iSync in a future version. But that's just me.

• Neep meep beep

I have a Treo 700w, and I am happy with the phone, but very unhappy with the windows operating system. It takes three more steps to do anything than with the old Treo 600 palm I used to have.

I have a treo 650 from cingular. Love the phone ! I am a "lost cause" gadget freak and I am in phone nirvana with the Treo 650.

I wish the data through-put was higher. I would have to go with Verizon or Sprint to get higher data rates but I wanted a GSM phone (for international travel). So I traded off a slower data connection.

The treo 650 and now the 700 are awesome phones. Most people wont need to do these things but these things are possible!

1. Watch feature length movies on your treo
    2. Telnet or ssh into your server with a treo.
    3. VNC into your windows PC (remote desktop on a treo!)
    4. Listen to MP3 music on your treo.
    5. Tether your treo to a laptop to access the internet while on the road.
    6. Use your treo as a GPS map for driving directions (requires optional purchases)