• insufferable know-it-all

Question Where to put keywords when writing HTML

I'm working on getting my business website(s) up and running, but I'm still in the design stages right how. Anyway, I want to make sure certain key terms are put in the right places so that search spiders will pick it up well. But I can't remember where the best place for it is!

Do I put key works in a meta tag, or just as the page's title? What's the best place to put all the key terms so it looks less messy to the user but still gets picked up by search spiders? (sample code helps, thanks!)

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Re: Where to put keywords when writing HTML

It's good to note that the days of meta tags are about gone. Most of the major search engines (Google, Yahoo!, Windows Live [formally MSN]) look at page content, and not tags.

However, if you look at MiceAge, Al takes the bottom of each scroll-box, and manually types out the keywords in white text, where no one will see them. Makes a difference.
    -Monorail Man

Good idea!

Actually, I'm waiting to see what the company templated site looks like (they're going to get it up tomorrow), but I found a site similar to how I want mine to eventually look, and hiding white text there shouldn't be a problem at all!

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man
    However, if you look at MiceAge, Al takes the bottom of each scroll-box, and manually types out the keywords in white text, where no one will see them. Makes a difference.
    Bad, bad, bad idea...

If Google "catches" him, he'll lose his PR... Sure, it works.. until you get caught.

Hidden text specifically for search engines is the quickest way to get in trouble with Google...

Google and other search engines are getting smarter- basically the best way to get a good ranking isn't to try to cheat them, but rather to just have good content. Take a look here for more information, though, if you want some pointers.

Try looking for information about Search Engine Optomization (better known as SEO)... I'd say the best way to do it is google SEO... the higher on Google's rankings, the more they know about SEO, so the more you should listen to them...
    Gregory Rebok
    Webmaster, The Disney Informer

Well, this is all moot for the time being as my company has a customizable template that I'm using for now, as it has great features I can't program myself (such as the ability to search the MLS). Of course, I have to hammer on our IT department to fix a certain glaring (IMHO) grammatical error in the "contact me" function before I'm willing to let the public lay eyes on it.

Eventually I'll want to get it beyond the constraints of the template, but for the time being, it works. And it's not overtly elaborate like some of the "messy" sites I've seen.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Ditto on Yahoo! canceling them and getting the advertiser in trouble. Don't forget that humans do look at the listings on the majoer search engines
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man
    It's good to note that the days of meta tags are about gone. Most of the major search engines (Google, Yahoo!, Windows Live [formally MSN]) look at page content, and not tags.
    True, but it costs you nothing to add them, so why not?

You put them just below the: TITLE - tag
    Last edited by ni_teach; 08-02-2006 at 02:43 PM.