• Banned User

router for the internet help

I have cable internet, and we want to hook up my daughter computer to internet to ( that and I bought her an ipod for christmas and do not want her down loading all the music on my computer.) what kind of router do I need to hook both computers up, and will they both run well ( just as fast) with two hooked up on one cable internet service?
    She does not know she is getting an ipod nano, but I thought this would be a cool gift, just need to get her computer up and running .

• I'm your huckleberry.

Re: router for the internet help

Quote Originally Posted by hakuna makarla
    I have cable internet, and we want to hook up my daughter computer to internet to ( that and I bought her an ipod for christmas and do not want her down loading all the music on my computer.) what kind of router do I need to hook both computers up, and will they both run well ( just as fast) with two hooked up on one cable internet service?
    She does not know she is getting an ipod nano, but I thought this would be a cool gift, just need to get her computer up and running .
    Karla, are you wanting to do wireless, or regular?

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• For You!

I have a wireless linksys router - it works great for us. Every now and again the signal will blip, but that's about it.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperbole
    Karla, are you wanting to do wireless, or regular?
    I am not sure about any of it. we just want to hook hers up so she can do emails and such and enjoy her computer. But I want her in the same room as me, I trust her, its the other 20 million people on the web I do not trust. with the ipod I got her she can have fun down loading music, and I will not have to worry about her being on my computer 24/7

• Banned User

her computer is windows 98 will this still work?

Windows 98 should work with any router but if you go wireless, you will need to verify that your wireless card is compatable.

If both computers are in the same room, you don't need wireless. Most routers have muliple LAN ports so you can connect your computers via a LAN cable (Cat 5 ethernet).

You run a cable from your cable modem to the router and then two cables from the router to the computers. This is cheaper than wireless, more secure and faster for file transfer between the computers.

Just make sure both computers have a working LAN card (or NIC) first. Then , you will need to set your network settings and configure the router according to the manual.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/home-network.htm

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Whatever you do, you want a small residential router with a hardware firewall in it - this will block a lot of the malicious traffic out there before it even gets into the house.

As for what to buy, Linksys is the residential division of Cisco and you can't go wrong there - They make the equipment for the big boys, so yours will work with it. And their support is top notch, especially if your ISP likes to change the settings occasionally and not tell anyone...

Wireless 802.11 B or G is fine ONLY IF you take the time to turn on all the security protocols - set up WEP Encryption, change the network name, don't broadcast the network name, don't allow random users access. Otherwise, get a router with a Wireless Access Port in it now in case you need the wireless in the future, but when you aren't using it turn it off.

I don't run wireless at home for data security reasons. If all the computers are in the same room it's easy to run a 14 or 25 foot CAT-5e patch cord to the router. Buy the patch cords with the 'boots' on the end, so you don't snag and break the locking tangs - for an extra fifty cents or so a cord, they're worth it.

For other rooms in the house, it's as simple as adding another telephone jack to run a CAT-5e cable and put jacks on both ends, the only trick is to not kink or pull too hard on the cable during the installation. Be gentle with it - No hard turns around knife-edges, and no stapling the wire down with staple guns.

And change the maintenance password that you use to access the router Setup screen from the wired computers inside the house - Your daughter doesn't have any malicious intent (we hope...), but one of her friends might. And they might try running an infected program or opening up a backdoor through the firewall for themselves...

This also gives you fair warning that you have spyware or malware running - if a program starts tripping the firewall alarms trying to get access to a certain outgoing internet port, it may be up to no good.

For example, "Zombie" programs that take over your computer need to open the Internet Relay Chat (IRC) ports to get their commands from the 'bot master' hacker. The hacker sends one message to IRC with the target server address, and 50,000 infected computers receive that message and can drop a web server clean off the Net with a "Distributed Denial Of Service" attack.

If you use IRC now, or using other special ports for other programs that could be abused, make sure to close the ports when you're not using them.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1