• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Goodbye AOL! Hello...?

I've had it with AOL, and the lack of help I get from their service line in India, halfway around the world.The only question is who to go with now. Currently I have dial up. What does everyone else have, and how happy are you with your ISPservice???

• insufferable know-it-all

Re: Goodbye AOL! Hello...?

in a word...

CABLEMODEM!!!!!!

talk to your cable provider (and look into cable phone too, it's cheap!)

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

I have Earthlink DSL. Its ok, I don't have to many problems with it. I've been with Earthlink since I've been online. But if you have access to cable modem and can afford it go for it! You won't be unhappy!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• The Useless Prince

Blog Entries

i have Verizon DSL....we also have the telephone internet bundle. I get unlimited local and longdistance for the set price...it is pretty cool

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Thanks, Morrigoon, I am considering DSL/Cable, but my cable provider is Cox, and I despise them almost as much as aol.

• Senior Minion

Glad to see your making the switch from "A-o-ell" Comcast seems to get alot of good reviews. I have had SBC Yahoo(now AT&T for about 4 years now, and it has improved. Good luck
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• up to no good

I have broadband with Roadrunner/Timewarner.

Service is pretty good. No complaints yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee (Farter Extraordinair) View Post
    Wow. If regular MiceChatters saw this thread they might think we are normal. Thanks Dan & Gina!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

I also have SBC, now AT&T. It's as good as any. check your telephone provider to see if you can get a bundled DSL package.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• I'm your huckleberry.

Bravo for ditching AOL!!!!!

If you're wanting to stay with dial-up, check out DSL Extreme. Great prices. http://www2.dslextreme.com/

For broadband, I've had Verizon's fiber optic internet, and it was outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

I'm looking to bail for DSLExtreme DSL myself, unless something better comes along.

I have Earthlink DSL over "AT&T"(Pathetic Bell) lines now, and it works, usually. KindaSorta. Most of the time... (Dies for no good reason once or twice a year, comes back in 12 hours or so.)

But if you have problems, it's the same 'India Heck' that you are dealing with, with the added fun that they will stop if they hear the words "router" or "firewall" - they expect to see only one PC hitched direct to the modem unless you're paying $10 extra a month for their "Home Networking"...

Cable is faster if you consider raw speed - but if they load too many high-use customers on your segment of the cable system, it bogs down in a hurry. All it takes is a few perople using VoIP phones or downloading video files to submarine the speed on the segment. If it's particularly bad, dial-up would be faster.

DSL is "slower" than Cable, but that chunk of bandwidth is all reserved for you - at least back to the phone switchroom. If they overload the backhaul data line out to the rest of the Net, that's another story.

And we then get into potential "Net Neutrality" problems, where the cable company or the phone company have the potential to assign "speed limits" on other services in preference to the ones they own (or get paid for) - or block access altogether. I would prefer my Net service comes from an ISP where "they sell Net access" and they don't have incentive for that conflict of interest.

It has already happened - Someone had to sue a small cable company in the Midwest because they were blocking other VoIP phone services that were "using up all the bandwidth" - so they could sell their own VoIP phone service in competition with the local phone company.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1