10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Treo

9 90.00%
  • Blackberry

1 10.00%
  • Other (please state below)

0 0%

• insufferable know-it-all

Treo or...? (Web-enabled cell phone/PDAs)

I will be looking to buy a much more advanced cell phone this next time around. I have a 2-yr plan on Verizon, and I'm only about a year into it, so it has to be one acceptable on Verizon.

I'm looking for a good PDA organizer (for business contacts, etc), and I also want web surfing capability (eg: one that works with MC and my emails). It would be cool if it had a camera, but that's a low priority.

So, what should it be? Treo, or Blackberry? What model?

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Married and happy again!!

Re: Treo or...? (Web-enabled cell phone/PDAs)

I've had my Treo for 3 weeks know and it is great I would never go back to my prior cell. With it I never have to be off line again. I just love mine. By the way I have the 700w.
    Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!

• is on the rocks

I love my Treo 650, but I use it more for emails than web browsing. The best thing about it for me is the integrated PDA functionality - contacts and calendar.

• A New Kind Of Villain

Having owned both, here's a bit of a comparison of the features I liked from both. Now take into account that I own a Treo 650 (Sprint) and a Blackberry 7105t (T-Mobile)

- E-mail: The Blackberry usually updates your inbox quicker. I've had problems with the Treo 650 where I have to kick-start the data service manually before it will start updating in regular intervals. Also with the Treo, when the data service updates e-mail, you can't receive phone calls, so if someone calls you while it's updating, it will send them straight to voicemail. On the plus for the Treo, it allows you to keep e-mails from different e-mail accounts in completely different folders (For the Blackberry, they all go into one inbox and then you can move it). This is extremely important for me as I need to keep my work and personal e-mail accounts separate. Also, the Treo actually allows me to create an automatic signature for each different account. So my work account has my business signature and my personal e-mail account signs with my favorite quote. For the Blackberry, the signature always shows "Sent from my Blackberry wireless handheld". You can't change it.

- Web Browsing: The Treo 650 is a lot slower than the Blackberry 7105t when it comes to loading pages. However the touch screen of the Treo allows you to easily click on links, while the Blackberry forces you to scroll to the one you want and then click. It can be a bit more time consuming making sure you've highlighted exactly the one you want. Also for forums, I find the Treo won't let you select a link until the Java has loaded and that may take a while. Now, keep in mind that the Treo 700 has broadband speeds and it possibly solved these issues.

- Memory: Memory on the Blackberry is limited while the memory on the Treo is only limited by the SD card you put in it. That actually allows me to use my Treo as a mini-mp3 player with the right applications. This also gives me a bigger range of mp3's I can use for ringtones. It's a lot harder to make mp3's into ringtones for the Blackberry and even then, you need to cut it down to the right size. For the Treo it's just drag and drop for the most part.

- Phone: The Treo is a lot more comfortable to put to your ear (The Blackberry is a pain in the butt. Especially the bigger models.), although the touch screen makes it easier to cut off a call if you move the wrong way. You can disable the touch screen while on a call though. All these issues can be negligible though considering they are both Bluetooth enable. I also like the fact that when a call comes in, the Treo gives you the option to Answer or Ignore. If you click Ignore, it shoots the caller to voicemail and the ringer stops immediately. If you want to Ignore someone on the Blackberry, you have to wait for the system to send the caller to voicemail, and you can't stop the ringer.

All that said, I love my Treo 650 and only use my Blackberry as a secondary Instant Messaging phone. When my year comes up, I want to upgrade to the Treo 700 to see how much faster it is, but regardless I wouldn't trade my Treo 650 back.

Hope that helps,
    Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

Wow, major props for a 700-seried Treo, I guess! Thanks guys!

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Neep meep beep

I have a Treo 700w, and before that had a Treo 600. All Treo 700s have a high speed modem, which claims "up to" DSL speeds for surfing the internet and email, but that seems to highly depend on the capability of the area. The Treo 650 actually has a higher resolution camera and screen than the 700 series, probably a sacrifice for the better processor, but if pictures are important to you, you might want to look closer at the 650, which is still sold.

I can tell you moving from Sprint to Verizon, my coverage is much better, but I would recommend that others get the Treo 700p instead of the 700w (the difference is that the w runs windows, and the p runs palm). The Palm operating system is much more stable (mine freezes frequently), and the windows operating system seems to take about 2-3 extra steps than the palm system, which is frustrating.

Holy cow, I just priced the damn things!

I'd be tempted to switch from Verizon to Sprint just to save money on the phone, except, of course, that the 700w only comes in Verizon right now, and I'm already there. I'm going to have to figure out how to talk Verizon into giving me the new customer price on it, which I doubt I'll get them to do. Jeez, it's almost as much as a new laptop! (which, technically, I suppose is appropriate)