Thread: MP3 Advice

• Oh bother!

MP3 Advice

I am very slow to purchase new technology (I'm a bit of a technophobe) but after successfully learning to work my new digital camera, I am thinking about buying an MP3 player. Does anyone here have one to recommend? Is it worth it to splurge on an actual Ipod?

Also, is it true that Itunes only works with Ipods and not other brands of MP3 players? Do other sites besides ITunes work with Ipods? (I've heard of bearshare, limewire and kazaa.) Does anyone have any other LEGAL sites to recommend for downloading music?

Thanks for any advice!
    WDW '82 '90 '94 '99 '01 '04 '09x2 '10
    DLR '05 '06 '08 '13

• Do you have a 27B/6?

Re: MP3 Advice

I own an iPod, and I adore the little thing like a pet. However, iPods only work with iTunes. As a result of this, my husband is planning on purchasing a different brand mp3 player for himself.

I'm not sure if iTunes works with other brand mp3 players? As for other legal music, I belive msn.com and amazon.com offer downloads as well. ITunes is probably the most popular method though (and possibly the cheapest).

I'm sure somebody else can chime in with more info!
    They are the Disney Princesses and their goal is world domination. -Mary McNamara | LA Times / AP

Fall 2004: Fantasyland Attractions

I love my ipod. And iTUnes will work with any mp3 file you import, weather you rip a CD or download. However ipod encodes to an ACC format so iTunes music you download will not work in non-iPod players

• That Guy

You do not have to JUST use itunes for Ipods. There are many different third party free programs that don't suck, like iTUNES does.

Also, I cannot recommend in good conscience any other player but an iPOD. They are top of the line. You can get a shuffle for $69 that will hold eight hours of music.

• Do you have a 27B/6?

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post
    You do not have to JUST use itunes for Ipods. There are many different third party free programs that don't suck, like iTUNES does.

Also, I cannot recommend in good conscience any other player but an iPOD. They are top of the line. You can get a shuffle for $69 that will hold eight hours of music.
    I didn't know that! Thanks, Max! What other programs will work with iPods? We're having some iTunes challenges around here...
    They are the Disney Princesses and their goal is world domination. -Mary McNamara | LA Times / AP

Fall 2004: Fantasyland Attractions

• insufferable know-it-all

I just bought a 1Gb SanDisk Sanza for $60 at Best Buy. I'm going to hold off on the iPod for now.

(Oh, and the Sanza also gets FM radio!)

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

We picked up 1GB Creative Zen Nano Plus for $60 on Amazon. They hold a ton of music and gets FM also. I tried iTunes before I bought a MP3 player and I thought it absolutely blew. So slow. Media Player 11 is pretty sweet and easy to use. I recommend trying iTunes and Media Player first to find out which program works best for you, then buy a player to match.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

everyone has pretty much covered it here... if you are looking for an Ipod Video type player, the Creative Zen Vision is also REALLY nice.

iTunes only works with ipods, and is the only service you can use to buy music for your ipod. You also can not use anything you bought from iTunes on any other types of players, so if you build a large collection you are tied to the Ipod.

There are 3rd party programs that can replace itunes, but if you're looking for ease of use, I'd recomment staying with whatever comes with the player.