• That Guy

iTUNES Converting to MP3, WTF?

How do you convert from whatever file is downloaded on iTunes to MP3? It makes me nuts that there isn't an easier way to do it.

Thanks!

• Banned User

Re: iTUNES Converting to MP3, WTF?

no clue.... i just burn a backup music CD.. then rip the files onto my other computer... lol

• See you there!

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986 View Post
    no clue.... i just burn a backup music CD.. then rip the files onto my other computer... lol
    I do pretty much the same thing, except I first import it on the computer I burned it on so it gets all the ID tags and such.

Been looking for an easier way, but so far no, but then this isn't all that hard anyway.

CU@DL

Andy

• Do you have a 27B/6?

Does switching your "Preferences" to the mp3 encoder help?* I'm not really sure how that option works...

*probably not?
    They are the Disney Princesses and their goal is world domination. -Mary McNamara | LA Times / AP

Fall 2004: Fantasyland Attractions

• Pull your "Magic" finger?

I think that is the only way - use a CD-RW so you don't have to constantly buy CD's. Considering the Apple/PC wars over the last 20 yeaars, we should be happy there is anyway to do it at all.

• Professionial LD

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post
    How do you convert from whatever file is downloaded on iTunes to MP3? It makes me nuts that there isn't an easier way to do it.

Thanks!

The Only Way that I know how to do it is to burn a Audio CD of the music that you want in itunes and then rip it with like Windows Media Player or another cd-ripper to MP3.

If anybody finds another way to do convert the files in itunes to MP3 let us know..I would be interested on how else it can be done if it could be done differently.
    The Verdict is in on the Mystery in Disneyland V:The Mystery of the Missing Asteroid

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...18#post2114018

The Mystery in Disneyland VI:Big Thunder Town is coming soon.

If anybody is interested in playing in the next Mystery in Disneyland game (VI) send a PM or email to Alex Loup. She will be hosting the next game.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Up at the top of iTunes you should see a tab called "Advanced." Its between the tab "Store" and "Window." Click on it, and it opens a drop down menu, scroll down to "Convert selection to MP3." Click on that.... and it will automatically convert it what ever song you have highlighted to and MP3 file from whatever format it was before.

Unless its a "protected' file.... then you can't convert it directly from iTunes.

Of course this is on my Mac.... a PC might be different.

Max, do you have a Mac? You can also go to www.versiontracker.com and find tons of Mac programs to convert files. If I have time later and I remember it I'll see if I can finds some freeware or shareware that does that.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Method 1: Burn the track(s) to a CD, then you can open the CD in iTunes and the Convert Selection to MP3 will do exactly what you want. Just be aware that you'll have TWO copies of that song in iTunes -- one in the original AAC format and one in MP3 format. You can delete the AAC version if you like. (Note that you must burn an audio CD, not a data CD. Check the setting in Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Burning if you have a problem importing tracks from the CD.)

Method 2: If you have lots of music, you might need a big pile of CDs to convert everything with the "burn and rip" method above. That's where the JHymn software can help. JHymn was created to allow you to exercise your fair-use rights under copyright law, and will free your iTunes music from DRM restrictions with no loss of sound quality. JHymn provides a drag and drop graphical interface for both Mac OSX and Windows users. But currently, JHymn will not work with iTunes Version 6 or higher. If you have an earlier version of iTunes, keep it!

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

You don't have to burn non-protected tracks (ie--tracks gathered from somewhere other than the iTunes store) onto a CD first to convert them. You can convert them outright from your iTunes list. You will still have two tracks, just delete the extra one.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

My method - SoundTaxi converter.
    Sure, their team's worthy of appreciation just for coming up with a program that opposes the Itunes .M4p files and the rest of the corrupt DRM-fed industry!

• no one to be trifled with

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post

Thanks!
    You may not care anymore about this, but for Mac users one can download or write a script that makes a cd image and imports the song for you, bypassing the need for a physical CD. A windows user could do the same thing I think, but I don't know if there is a windows-native way to create a virtual cd to access. I'd bet soundtaxi is doing something like this as well.

There is a good amount of programs you can buy from stores like Best Buy that will do it for you on the computer - no need to burn, rip, burn, rip, burn, rip.