Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ipod question

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

ipod question

My husband and I would like to buy our grandson an iPod. I know absolutely nothing about them.

Lately, I have been doing some research. I understand that the top model is $349 and you can put both songs and video on that one. Then the next one down, also does video and songs and is a $249 model. The next one after that is and iPod Nano, and that one just does songs. That one cost $199. That is the one that I think is suitable for Sean, my grandson who is 13. However there's also a $99 model too.

Now, if you were to buy an iPod for a 13 year old, which one would you think is the best choice. I really don't want to spend $349 for an iPod. I always fear the lost or stolen factor. That said, I would appreciate some technical and practical answers to this question.

We want to make this Sean's Christmas present.

Thanks.

• out & about

Re: ipod question

Video iPod
    80GB - $349, 20000 songs (black or white)
    30GB - $249, 7500 songs (black or white)

iPod nano
    8GB - $249, 2000 songs (black)
    4GB - $199, 1000 songs (silver, green, pink, blue & special edition red)
    2GB - $149, 500 songs (silver)

iPod Shuffle
    1GB - $99, 250 songs (available sometime soon)
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

WplusK.com
    http://twitter.com/WRDinc

• Having a Grand Day!

A Nano 4GB is what I would get him - It's the right size, the right price and it comes in a variety of colors.

That said, I have a Black 30GB myself.

• See you there!

I agree with the privious poster about the 4GB Nano, but for a different reaosn. I believe the Nano's would be a better choice for most younger folks as they are more durable. I have seen numberous younger folks with damaged iPods because of being thrown in the backpack and what not and the large models with the Disk drive are not as durable as the Nano's with solid state storage.

But, but the iPod with video is much more fun, you can play music and videos, and that's what it's all about... Having more fun in life.

Just MHO, YMMV

CU@DL

Andy

I think it kind of depends on how into music he is. I love music and I own hundreds of Cds so I got the 20GB Photo Ipod, one that isn't sold anymore (I got it a while ago). My Ipod is at 16GB of memory now and I'm going through it deleting out songs so I can make sure that I don't go over the memory limit. But for most 13 year olds, I'd say the 4GB Nano or even the 2GB Nano. I'd be happy with anything that I got!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Thanks for the speedy feedback, everyone. I am hoping to make a decision about this based on practicality more than price.

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    Thanks for the speedy feedback, everyone. I am hoping to make a decision about this based on practicality more than price.
    Barb-at his age, I think a nano would be good. Is it necessary for him to have a video ipod?
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• Banned User

Hon, Rachal and I share an ipod nano, and we do fine, it holds 500 songs ( I believe around there.) its awsome, for music. but Barbara if you want the higher end one for video remember those movies cost a fortune, and so do the games, and the songs to down load are a dlooar each or you an buy an album. we get a lot of our music from amazon.com as its cheap and she and I get the songs we want then just down load them, we also have lots of cds here. my sister also has itunes and sent me a load of music. I want to stress you need a good case for his ipod, you will need to have it hooked up to his computer to charge it( unless you buy an wall plug. ) if you need help just ask,
    here is some what of a case I have for mine, it really protects it!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/GREEN-CASE-4-APP...QQcmdZViewItem

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

I have a 30 gig video and absolutely adore it!
    I love the fact that I can have music, pictures, movies and tv shows and can play at my leisure.

I-tunes prices are not all that bad. I just bought The Incredibles for $14.99. Also, there are alot of tv shows free on I-tunes for download.

I think the question between a Nano and something bigger would be whether you want something more than music.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I know the you are concerned about the higher end device being lost or stolen and I think this may factor in to which you decide to get. The nano is much smaller than the current line of iPods. The iPod nano is only 3.5"x1.6"x0.26".

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Sean's mom and Sean are more knowledgeable about the technical aspects of the iPod. I know they will be able to figure out he mechanics of loading songs onto it. We were discussing this over the weekend, a little, and I don't think Sean is really that interested in the video part.

When we went to Disneyland recently, Sean was able to see what an iPod can do first hand. The young man who traveled with us, had a video model.

Since, I know nothing, I will ask a question, I hope doesn't sound foolish. Does the iPod just do songs, and video? Is there any gaming involved?

• Banned User

yes, the ipod nano's have a few games on them, and also you can down load games from itunes. Mtngirl can tell you more I am sure, she has peeked my interset in the 30 gb. I want to get it for my RAchal and I did not know you could down load songs!! this is awsome. ( I need to know where to go for this and info on so much more can I down load tv shows on my ipod nano? and also what is a pod cast?? yeah I got the thing, just do not know anything about it

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuna Makarla View Post
    yes, the ipod nano's have a few games on them, and also you can down load games from itunes. Mtngirl can tell you more I am sure, she has peeked my interset in the 30 gb. I want to get it for my RAchal and I did not know you could down load songs!! this is awsome. ( I need to know where to go for this and info on so much more can I down load tv shows on my ipod nano? and also what is a pod cast?? yeah I got the thing, just do not know anything about it
    far as i know, nanos dont do video.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• Banned User

why would they charge the same price for the ipod nano ( 8 GB) and the ipod 30 gb ?? seems like anyone would buy the bigger and best one .

• Banned User

also how does one find a list of tv shows? do I have to search for shows or do they have a list of shows, and such?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast