• Sshhh, being very quiet

Digital Camera Video question...

I have a question. I'm looking at a Kodak Digital camera and really want it and it has video capability which I want to. Here is what it says:

Catch all the action with continuous video

Choose settings for:
    -- VGA (640 × 480 pixel resolution) at 10.5 fps, or
    -- QVGA (320 × 240 pixel resolution) at 20 fps

Now my question is which setting is better? The VGA (640x480) or the QVGA(320x240)?

Anyone that can help me out I would appreciate it. I know all about Digital still photos and Megapixels but this video on the digital camera settings still confuses me.

Thanks!

• no one to be trifled with

Blog Entries

Re: Digital Camera Video question...

Well, video shot at the VGA setting on that camera will look a little jumpy. For example, TVs in the US are effectively displaying 30 frames per second, and film is 24 frames per second. VGA (640x480) is about what a standard-screen television normally displays in terms of height and width. That is, a computer displaying 64x40 if connected to your TV would look about the same on the TV and the computer screen.

The smaller qvga will play smoother, and is sized like what you normally see at a video site like Utube.

With that said, my guess is you'll like the motion quality of the "smaller" recording.

Quote Originally Posted by Westley View Post
    Well, video shot at the VGA setting on that camera will look a little jumpy. For example, TVs in the US are effectively displaying 30 frames per second, and film is 24 frames per second. VGA (640x480) is about what a standard-screen television normally displays in terms of height and width. That is, a computer displaying 64x40 if connected to your TV would look about the same on the TV and the computer screen.

The smaller qvga will play smoother, and is sized like what you normally see at a video site like Utube.

With that said, my guess is you'll like the motion quality of the "smaller" recording.

Thanks so much. This leads to another question. If I did, in the future, want to transfer my short videos to DVD's how would I still want to stick with QVGA?

• Nice Guy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by claribella View Post

Thanks so much. This leads to another question. If I did, in the future, want to transfer my short videos to DVD's how would I still want to stick with QVGA?
    First of all, you need software that will convert the QVGA to NTSC so that your TV will recognize the signal. Then the software should be able to allow you to burn a DVD if you have a DVD recorder in your computer.
    >>Alan<<
    Member 216

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfHearts View Post
    First of all, you need software that will convert the QVGA to NTSC so that your TV will recognize the signal. Then the software should be able to allow you to burn a DVD if you have a DVD recorder in your computer.

Yes I have all that covered. Like I said I know the in's and out's of all this digital stuff except which mode is better for viewing. I think I have it down though. Thanks

• Makin' Movies !

At The Opera House, Waitin' For Mr. Lincoln!

If you were to choose a different camera, like a Canon SD series Digital Elph, (starting about $250) you could shoot video at 640X480, 30 frames/second. This would give you much better video, and would transfer to DVD with much better quality. Just remember, you can always down-size video for things like YouTube, but you can never up-size without losing alot of quality. If you are going to take the time to shoot video, you might as well make it worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Video View Post
    If you were to choose a different camera, like a Canon SD series Digital Elph, (starting about $250) you could shoot video at 640X480, 30 frames/second. This would give you much better video, and would transfer to DVD with much better quality. Just remember, you can always down-size video for things like YouTube, but you can never up-size without losing alot of quality. If you are going to take the time to shoot video, you might as well make it worthwhile.

Ok, then poses another question. If I do get another brand camera, can I still use the Kodak Software that is on my computer? I like the Kodak Easyshare. Will the dock to transfer photos be compatible with the software?

Captain Video, thank y0u so much for your advice. I actually found a Kodak High Perfomance with this:

Advanced video features for an excellent on-screen performance

Capture VGA (640 x 480) video at 30 fps
    Up to 12X zoom with image stabilization during capture
    On-camera video editing, including trim, cut, split, merge, fast forward, and rewind

Just what you were suggesting! And it also has image stabilization for the video.

• Makin' Movies !

At The Opera House, Waitin' For Mr. Lincoln!

Glad I could help. One last thing-never use the digital zoom feature on a digital camera. you will always get better results zooming and cropping in software. With video, this can cause blurry, grainy less than attractive shots. always use any optical zoom the camera has instead, and the end result will be much better!

P.S. Image stabilization can be a very good thing!

Glad I could help. One last thing-never use the digital zoom feature on a digital camera. you will always get better results zooming and cropping in software. With video, this can cause blurry, grainy less than attractive shots. always use any optical zoom the camera has instead, and the end result will be much better!

P.S. Image stabilization can be a very good thing!
    Wow ok...shoot. I just bid on a camera on ebay, now I have to check about the zoom you just mentioned.

Ok, I just looked. It has 12X Optical zoom which is much better than my old camera which just had 3x optical, I believe. So the one I bid on sounds good.

This was the prob I was running into. I never print my photos, I email them. All the cameras I was researching has 6 or higher MP but didn't have much zoom. I prefer good zoom and video quality but it looks like I'm paying for higher MP which isn't really important to me since I don't print my pictures.

No worries though. I think I found the camera I needed on ebay and I liked the 12x optical zoom and it has great video features and the stabilization on the video too

Captain Video you rock! Thanks so much for your help! I just can't believe how many options there are out there!

• I met Walt Disney!

For videos and stills, I recommend the Kodak EasyShare V610. It's a still camera, but shoots GREAT video. Also has 10x OPTICAL zoom, as well as the capability of connecting three shots into one panaramic picture. Runs about $400 and comes with a charger, so no battery worrys. Can hook up directly to your tv too, or upload things through USB. You will, however, need a big memory card to do much video.