Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Which computer would you suggest?

I'm NOT getting another Gateway. Terrible customer service and just terrible computers all around. Sheesh.

Anyway, I'm wondering which computers would you all suggest. I might sell my gateway laptop and get another brand. I'm tired of dealing with crappy Gateway.

Thanks

• Minion

Re: Which computer would you suggest?

I'd recommend looking at a Mac first. Very good value for the money and the newer ones allow you to run Windows giving the best of both worlds.

If you don't want a Mac, I've had good luck with Dell both at home and at work.

• Senior Minion

I have an Alienware and I've had a good time dealing with their customer service. So far I haven't had any problems with it either, and I've had it for about four years now.

• Knight of Naughtyness

We have had good luck with the Dells at work. Keep in mind, that like many tech companies, they outsource their customer help center to India.

I would also second the Intel-based Macs. I'm looking at getting a new MacBook Pro myself.
    -Osky

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Before we totally disregard extremism; lets remember the lesson of the 3 little pigs.

The moderate pig lost his house to the wolf too
    .-- .. .-.. .-.. / .- -. -.-- --- -. . / -... --- - .... . .-. / - --- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . / - .... .. ... ..--..

• Knight of Naughtyness

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch74 View Post
    I have an Alienware and I've had a good time dealing with their customer service. So far I haven't had any problems with it either, and I've had it for about four years now.
    Just for the record, Dell bought Alienware back in March.
    -Osky

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Before we totally disregard extremism; lets remember the lesson of the 3 little pigs.

The moderate pig lost his house to the wolf too
    .-- .. .-.. .-.. / .- -. -.-- --- -. . / -... --- - .... . .-. / - --- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . / - .... .. ... ..--..

• I'm your huckleberry.

I'm sorry you've had bad experiences with Gateway. I've had the complete opposite experience with them. I have a Gateway desktop which I bought in Feb. 1998 (no that's not a typo), and it's still going strong. Has only needed a new fan (aside from standard memory upgrades).

I have used primarily Dell's at work to good success.

However, I'd say that brand name is not as important as making sure your computer has the components you want. Talk to a rep at Best Buy or CompUSA and get an idea of what specs you need for what you use the computer to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Hey thanks all! Great advice. I don't know but I've just had bad luck with Gateway. My first Gateway desktop's hard drive crashed a little over its first year. My first Gateway laptop, a Solo, was just plain a piece of crap. I had to end up trashing it. My current Gateway Laptop is only 8 months old and the hard drive was defected. I'm having to pay to back up all my docs and pics, which is ok, should have done that in the first place. At least it was on warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperbole View Post
    Talk to a rep at Best Buy or CompUSA and get an idea of what specs you need for what you use the computer to do.
    You know, I did just that today! I went to BestBuy and they have Geek Squad there and one of their guys was really nice with my tons of questions. He said from his experience Dells are the worst and to try an HP. I think I might look into that along with Mac's.

• Hooterville, USA

It's whatever floats your boat. We've all had good experiences and bad when it comes to computers. The only rule I live by is that my CPU must be AMD.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Minion

Another thing you might do is use manufacturer's websites to configure similar systems to compare them side-by-side. I've found this is a great way to compare prices, warranties, included software, support policies etc. etc.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I have an emachine. Yeah it's kinda "low end" but it runs good and I haven't had a proboem with it yet (had it a year). Mt PC before that was custom built by my ex. I have a Dell at work and I like that quite a bit too. What I really want now is a laptop.

• out & about

If i were you i would totally get a mac. ive never had a problem with mine. the new intels are smokin fast and they come loaded with everything you need. personally the 24"iMac looks pretty sweet. Personally Id get a 17" Macbook Pro... you know the new one with the Core 2 Duo! freak. thats sexy.
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

WplusK.com
    http://twitter.com/WRDinc

• And, THEN she said...

Ive had good luck with HP's (what I have now HP pavilion 6630) and its still going strong with no major problems except the modem blowing up

Ive had good luck with IBM's (home) and Dells wherever I've worked

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

I've always been a PC person, but certainly understand the attraction of the Mac. Once you've chosen a way, however, it's difficult to cross over.

Anyway, if you're chosing a PC, I've heard good things about Dell. I have an affinity for Compaq. I've always had excellent service from my Compaq computers and have really never needed their customer service. I'm typing on a Compaq right now and everything seems to be working just wqerqwiu ppodflkj.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Sparkle Plenty

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney View Post
    I'm typing on a Compaq right now and everything seems to be working just wqerqwiu ppodflkj.

I have a Dell laptop, got it for Christmas last year. No problems. My husband wanted me to have the 17" monitor. Could've done without that, it seems huge to me, but it was a nice thought.

• Senior Minion

I have had some really good luck with Dell computers. Only tech isssue I had was a bad DVD drive that took them a while to recoginize as defective, but they fixed it and that's all that matters.
    Now unfortunately I'm having some issues with my HP Laptop. The wireless card is going out. So it must be just hit and miss for troubles. I've only had it a year. Dell always has the deals, if you are on a budget. Most of my coworkers swear by their Toshiba Laptops.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast