Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

XM Rant (Anyone else?)

I'm seriously started to get hacked off by the commercials sneaking in. One of the amin selling points for paying for radio was the "commercial-free" line I was fed. I've had XM for coming up on 3 years now, and now they are flooding me with commercials! Not the promos, but the acne medicine, tires...etc, what I'm supposed to be paying NOT to hear!
    I'm very close to putting all of our radios on Ebay and saving the almost $30 a month if ther is no difference!
    Is sirius adding commercials too?
    I reject your reality, and subsitute my own!

• Huh?

Re: XM Rant (Anyone else?)

I don't hear all that... the only commercial-free radio that they promise is on the music channels. Outside of the music, they've always played commercials.

What music channel are you hearing all this on?
    -Tim

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Sirius runs commercials on their talk stations. The music stations are commercial free. Sometimes the breaks can get a little long, but nowhere as long as free radio. Love the Sirius though. best $20 I spend a month (two subscriptions).
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

I have Sirius too. I've never heard a commercial on the music stations, and seriously thats all I listen to. I've never listened to any of the talk or other stations.

Now if its the music stations that XM is sneeking commercials in on... switch to Sirius!!! Like justjohn said.... best money you'll spend!!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    Now if its the music stations that XM is sneeking commercials in on... switch to Sirius!!! Like justjohn said.... best money you'll spend!!

XM switched to comercial-free on their music stations a couple years ago. I listen to XM all the time and have not heard a commercial on the music stations since they changed to that format.

My suspicions are that you're listening to one of the non-Music channels and that the sales person failed to say that commercial-free applies only to music channels.

(BTW: I suggest not switching to Sirius if you're into music. Sirius has a greater number of talk and lesser number of music channels than XM. Unless that's changed since the last time I compared lineups.)
    -Tim

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

When I compared line ups before I went with Sirius they were almost identical. I do think I head that XM has a slightly bigger playlist, but I always go with the underdog.... Mac computer.... Sirius Radio....

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• So fetch

I love Sirius radio. We picked Sirius over XM because Mr LL is a Howard Stern fan.

• Man O Lantern

We have XM and I have yet to hear a commercial....

I love 28--the Broadway station.

• Huh?

Last time I noticed the difference, the two companies had the same number of channels, but where XM had 10 music channels, Sirius had 10 talk channels.

Don't like talk radio, don't like Howard Stern, XM is good for me.

What I wind up listening to most, though: 40s on 4, 60s on 6, 80s on 8, Cinemagic, BPM, The System, and Old Time Radio Classics.

I miss having Special X on XM, but at least that's included among the channels that we can listen to online that's not on the normal service. They don't discontinue services, they just get moved online.
    -Tim

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum View Post
    What music channel are you hearing all this on?
    I'm always on 10, 11, 13, 16, 17- the country channels- America being my favorite. And lately, at least once an hour, there is a commercial break. Not just the Promos for other stations, but advertising for Proactive, Tires, Shocks, etc. It really irritates me. I'm paying for 3 radios (Mine, husband, Mom), and for $26 a month, it should be straight music!

I picked XM over Sirius because the line-up three years ago, XM had WAY more country stations than Sirius. And the Nascar channels- really good when driving on a Sunday.

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iheartdisney View Post
    I'm always on 10, 11, 13, 16, 17- the country channels- America being my favorite. And lately, at least once an hour, there is a commercial break. Not just the Promos for other stations, but advertising for Proactive, Tires, Shocks, etc. It really irritates me. I'm paying for 3 radios (Mine, husband, Mom), and for $26 a month, it should be straight music!

I picked XM over Sirius because the line-up three years ago, XM had WAY more country stations than Sirius. And the Nascar channels- really good when driving on a Sunday.
    No commercials on Sirius music stations except for the odd promo for another channel. The country stations I think are still a little weak, the genres never really match what they play. I listen to 80's alternative and 80's hip hop stations, Howard, and Blue Collar Comedy mosty. There is a great bluegrass station, and Sabrina loves most of the other music stations.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Former Loiterer

Yeah, I feel you on the commercials on the non-music channels. They've really bumped up the number of commercials on 151 Laugh USA; it's more than it was when we first started listening to XM. I still love it though. I have the player where you can rewind and that alone is enough to keep me listening to my XM!
    All I needed to know in life, I learned at MiceChat.
    And kindergarten.

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Sirius has the rewind feature on most of their players.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by iheartdisney View Post

Hmm... never listen to any of those channels (the closest I come to that region is the occasional Bluegrass Junction). All the other music stations, I never hear any commercials, only channel specific items.

Maybe for some reason it's being limited to purely the country stations? I say write to the channels or call XM to find out what's going on.

Like I said. I've yet to hear any commercials like what you're speaking of on any of the music channels that I listen to.
    -Tim

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum View Post
    Maybe for some reason it's being limited to purely the country stations? I say write to the channels or call XM to find out what's going on.
    Question answered! I stared to take your advice, went to email the channel, and they beat me to it:

PLEASE NOTE:
    Nashville, KISS, MIX, Sunny and WSIX are programmed by Clear Channel. These channels carry commercials and are now located in a new category on our channel guide called "Regional News, Talk & Music Channels.

That answers my question, so I posted in case anyone listens to one of the other stations! I guess I'll just skip 11!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast