• I was deleted.

Question Windows Genuine is taking over my computer!

Yesterday I turned on my computer to work on my paper for class. It was not connected to the internet and had not been for days as I was at yoyo's apartment. Anyway, when I turned it on Windows started showing me this blue star-like icon warning me that I "might be a victim of software counterfeiting." When I started my computer today it started to analyze the "problem" and I asked it to do so later. When the computer started I clicked on it to Change Notification Settings, but when that page loads in IE it says I have reached it in error. It won't let me read my Validation Failure Details either.

What I'm trying to figut out is how this got on my computer and how to get it to go away. I'm on XP Professional that I got with my computer over two years ago... this is slightly annoying.

Side note: When reading Wikipedia I read:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    WGA Notifications and Firewalls
    Some personal firewalls, though not the basic one in Windows, may alert on the method by which wgatray.exe is started, in the case of Outpost firewall, it is identified as a "hidden process". The wgatray.exe process itself can be firewall blocked, without apparent problems. Removing the reference to WGALOGON.DLL using HijackThis appears to effectively de-install this update, to the point where it will be offered again if it has not been marked "do not show".
    A tool has been released by a firewall vendor to prevent WGA Notifications transmitting information from one's PC
    And I did run HijackThis recently... maybe that was it? Can anyone please offer some assistance?

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Re: Windows Genuine is taking over my computer!

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan View Post
    Can anyone please offer some assistance?
    Sure. WGA Notifications (distributed via Automatic Updates) lets you know if your PC suffers from an invalid product key (such as an illegal copy of Windows), as check by the Microsoft activation and OEM key database.

Sometimes (not often), this can produce a 'false positive', and WGA will invalidate the system. If this is the case, you can go here, and validate the system. If it validates correctly, then the message will go away after a reboot.

Microsoft also provides instructions to remove WGA Notifications. Note that this will just remove the WGA Notifications program, and will not entitle you to Genuine benefits, such as Windows Defender, and Internet Explorer 7.
    -Monorail Man

• I was deleted.

Thanks Hastin for your words of help. However, last night I did a system restore and it left. You see, when I went to follow Windows steps to uninstall... it wasn't listed on the list of programs. Because of that, I realized this wasn't the actual Windows Genuine.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan View Post
    Thanks Hastin for your words of help. However, last night I did a system restore and it left. You see, when I went to follow Windows steps to uninstall... it wasn't listed on the list of programs. Because of that, I realized this wasn't the actual Windows Genuine.
    I take it you have a virus?
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by OogieBoogie View Post
    I take it you have a virus?
    Whatever it was, it's gone. At least we can all learn how to uninstall this Windows thing if we wish to now?

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

There was a virus floating around that disguised itself as WGA Notifications. It wouldn't surprise me if that was the case, especially considering that WGA Notifications is no longer being distributed by Microsoft.
    -Monorail Man

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man View Post
    There was a virus floating around that disguised itself as WGA Notifications. It wouldn't surprise me if that was the case, especially considering that WGA Notifications is no longer being distributed by Microsoft.
    Well the important thing in this case is that the silly thing is GONE!

Time to run Symantec and go to sleep.