Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hog PC on Mac??

• Banned User

Hog PC on Mac??

For those few lighting people on this board, I heard rumor once that Flying Pig's widget/Hog software would soon be available on the macintosh platform. Anyone hear anything?

why do I want that on my MAC???

• Banned User

you want it on your mac to be able to design and run the lights for a theatrical production or rock concert from anywhere. If you were implyiing that you don't like macs, then i'll just lower my eyes and look away.

Socapex,

Not sure about HogPC on Macs yet... do you currently run it on a PC?

Nice SN by the way!

• Banned User

I have used it on a PC, and it is a very good product. Would prefer the real deal but unfortunately $25,000 is a little bit out of my budget. I only own a mac, but I have considered purchasing an old PC to run it on. It's just that I do all my design work on my mac and I think it would be nice to be able to program on the same piece of machinary. I'm sure it will be available some day. Half the LD's I know only use apple...

Yeah, I can't quite foot the 25K either, LOL. I currently use a PC running Horizon for the smaller theatrical shows... it also has AutoCAD, AutoBlock and the various offline editors from ETC. Works fairly nicely...

• Banned User

I have a Mac. The programs I use are Vectorworks and Lightwrite. I want to get Vectorworks Spotlight, but it's so expensive. I also really need to learn Auto-Cad so that I can ALD shows here at USC.

I know you can run Mac on Grand MA board, not too much a fan of flying pig. I usually work with Grand MA and NSI 7532 dimmer board.
    Current DL Entertainment Technical Services

Former DCA Attractions CM

• Banned User

Well, what kind of "Fantasmic Freak" are you if you aren't a fan of the lighting console they use?

Well their lighting console isnt my fav, but i would work on it. Its jsut harder for me to change scenes with the hog. you can just press edit button and move it to the location and click save and thats it with the Grand MA.

• Banned User

i would think someone who claims to be as obsessed with fantasmic as you do would be in love with every bit of equipment they use.

• Banned User

Oh for christ's sake. The Hog is quite possibly the easiest moving light console ever created. GrandMa on the other hand... yeah. Not so hot. And I thought I heard that they used an Obsession II at Fantasmic...

Not saying I prefer the Hog over the Maxxys though. Just wanted to make that clear.

Disney uses odd lighting consoles all over , they have a Hog II for snow show a GrandMa for hyperion a hog II for tomorrowland terrance and a Hog or I think two for Fantasmic! But then again all of the Disney shows you set it once and program it in and push a button to go to the next scene, or as Fantasmic just hit go and time it to the music, i know the cart out in front of the main tower controls the dimming of the three towers and has stage managers in it .. Also it controls the colors and gobos, For christmas time at least. I once saw a guy who forgot to raise the tower again for Believe .. holiday and turn on the blue color washes to illuminate the snow at the ending so it ended up that the wahses were all pointed at the ground with white spots and he kept pressing the buttons and dimmed it down and the same thing happen two more times when he figured out the combo and almost when the snow was done he got it up .. but all the while GC was doing their own light show trying to get the guests so see the snow, i wonder is he had to get retrained. Funny to watch it though. I can use the hog fine its just i mostly use a GrandMA and since i havent used a hog for awhile i just right now prefer the grand. Funny stories though.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasmic_Freak
    Disney uses odd lighting consoles all over , they have a Hog II for snow show a GrandMa for hyperion a hog II for tomorrowland terrance and a Hog or I think two for Fantasmic!
    I think it's a Hog 1000 at Buzz.
    But then again all of the Disney shows you set it once and program it in and push a button to go to the next scene,
    Name a venue that hasn't done this post 1991?
    or as Fantasmic just hit go and time it to the music
    Uhh...does the term "Time Code" ring a bell?
    i know the cart out in front of the main tower controls the dimming of the three towers and has stage managers in it .. Also it controls the colors and gobos,
    Lighting 101: A cart cannot "control" a dimmer, light, scroller, etc. That's what a console is for. Data is sent to the dimmers/fixtures telling tem what to do.
    For christmas time at least. I once saw a guy who forgot to raise the tower again for Believe .. holiday and turn on the blue color washes to illuminate the snow at the ending so it ended up that the wahses were all pointed at the ground with white spots and he kept pressing the buttons and dimmed it down and the same thing happen two more times when he figured out the combo and almost when the snow was done he got it up .. but all the while GC was doing their own light show trying to get the guests so see the snow, i wonder is he had to get retrained.
    Well, PC Beams are pretty damn fickle. They aren't even DMX controlled. WHo knows?
    Funny to watch it though. I can use the hog fine its just i mostly use a GrandMA and since i havent used a hog for awhile i just right now prefer the grand. Funny stories though.
    I doubt that. It doesn't even sound as if you can understand simply Dimming systems/show control.

• Banned User

I have two things to add to what Socapex just said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasmic_Freak
    Disney uses odd lighting consoles all over , they have a Hog II for snow show a GrandMa for hyperion a hog II for tomorrowland terrance and a Hog or I think two for Fantasmic!
    Doesn't that contradict what you said a couple posts before this one? Don't you recall saying that Fantasmic is run off a GrandMA?
    i know the cart out in front of the main tower controls the dimming of the three towers and has stage managers in it .. Also it controls the colors and gobos
    Obviously you don't know much about the cart, because that cart has nothing to do with lighting. I'm pretty sure that cart is for the stage manager and the pyro kill switches. I'm not going to bet my life on that, but i will bet my life on the fact that it has nothing to do with lighting. The lighting control is in the small room above the Disney Gallery.

By the way, do you even realize that Socapex's name is refering to a piece of lighting equipment? I'm just curious since you say you know a lot about lighting, but you seem to have a lot of facts wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast