Thread: Cingular help!

Cingular help!

I am the queen of not paying for stuff. I was just the extra line on my sister's Verizon cell acount, but that phone broke, and she's not ready to renew her contract to add another phone. So my FIL has offered to add me onto his plan cingular plan, he said "Just let me know what you need."

I bought a phone off ebay, but it doesn't have SIM card. Where do I get one, and how much is it?
    I reject your reality, and subsitute my own!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

Re: Cingular help!

you need to take the SIM card out of your broken phone and put it in the phone you bought off ebay if i'm not mistaken
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• Man O Lantern

Call or visit a Cingular kiosk at a mall (or store) and give them the make and model of your new phone, if the SIM card in your old phone doesn't transer over.

If your dad is adding you to his plan, they should sync it for you and get you started, even if you didn't buy the phone through them.

Cingular finally linked their customer service to their kiosks/stores, so you can do it all in one spot.

• Banned User

Yes, put your old sim card in your new phone.

• no one to be trifled with

Blog Entries

I wasn't aware Verizon was using GSM sim cards like those used by Cingular and t-mobile.

You will need all of your dad's account info for you to be added to his account. Easier for him to add the line and deliver the correct card to you when the account is activated. Or go together to the store/kiosk.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Verizon uses CDMA which doesn't use SIM cards. Cingular uses GSM which does. Just go into any Cingular store and they will give you one for free. I know, I work there.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

I see you are in Port Hueneme - while it isn't Podunk Iowa, it isn't Downtown LA either, and there are some areas up there in the canyons with dead zones. And it varies between carriers, depending on whether they put in microcells to cover those areas.

Before you have Dad sign up for that second number for a one or two year commitment, make sure you get decent coverage everywhere you plan to use the phone. Drive around to the places you usually talk from on Verizon with a Cingular phone, and do a "Can you hear me now?" test.

There is a very good reason I use Verizon. You get up in the canyons and there are too many areas where another contractor is standing there cursing at the "NO SIGNAL" dead phone in their hand - and I'm standing next to them making a phone call. Try Pallisades Highlands for openers.

Oh, and having a functional pull-out antenna on the phone helps a LOT - I would not buy a phone with an internal antenna <coughNokiacough> because they simply don't work as well.

I have the phone to make calls, not a fashion statement. LG VX2000 - Big, Old, Beat-Up, Ugly... Works Great.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Bring Me Two Piña Coladas

Quote Originally Posted by hollywood1939 View Post
    Verizon uses CDMA which doesn't use SIM cards. Cingular uses GSM which does. Just go into any Cingular store and they will give you one for free. I know, I work there.

Yeah this is correct!

But adding another line to an account, wouldn't it have been better to get a phone with the "new line discount" from cingular than a used on off of ebay? Given that you can insure a phone bought from Cingular (which I LOVE, my work cell is Verizon, its garbage in some areas! My Cingular works EVERYWHERE!)

My husband is using a Cingular which works great around here, I've got a SIM card on the way, thanks everyone for your help.
    I bought the phone on ebay because I wanted the SLVR... I've had cheap ugly no feature phones...now I want a fun one!
    I reject your reality, and subsitute my own!

• Bring Me Two Piña Coladas

the LG cu500 is great too, i'm getting better reception with it than my slvr and razr...I was the first one in LA to get it back in July, 3g is now slowing come to LA I hear, its available in San Diego...

congrats!

• Minion

Jack works for Cingular in one of their stores. I actually work in Customer Care. So if there are any other questions anyone has, feel free to send me a PM. I will answer it to the best of my knowledge. Because it seems that the one that was asked in this thread, was already answered well enough.

• Minion

I work for Cingular in technical support and there is a couple of reason why I would advise you NOT to buy a phone from ebay. First of all, if the phone was not purchased through Cingular it will have to be "unlocked". This means you will have to request an unlock code, which can take a few days to receive via e-mail. Once it is unlocked you might not be able to access alot of the features that are usually preprogrammed into the devices, such as the internet or multimedia messaging. Although MOST of the time we can program these phones to be used with our system there is the occasional device that will not work no matter what settings we adjust or change. If you plan on using this phone for just making/receiving calls then by all means go ahead and get it. But if you plan on using it to send pictures, get ringtones and other data related services you might want to keep in mind what I mentioned.