• That Guy

Giving an iPOD as a Gift- How to Load Your Music, on their Pod?

Hi, I am buying a 30gig iPOD for a gift for someone else.

I have an iPOD and tons of music. How much of a pain will it be to throw some of my music onto her pod so she has something to start with? (I am giving it to her just before she gets on a plane, so with it preloaded she will be able to use it right away, music, video, etc.)

I seem to recall that if your computer knows your pod, then it's super hard to get another one to work, but I'm not sure.

Any thoughts?

• Man O Lantern

Re: Giving an iPOD as a Gift- How to Load Your Music, on their Pod?

First of all, thank you for the iPod, but I'm STILL not having your baby.

It's my understanding that you can't transfer music from your iPod to someone else's computer, so that even if she I can listen to the music you've downloaded onto my new iPod, once I hook that iPod up to my computer and my iTunes, I lose the music you downloaded to it.

Again, I appreciate the gift.

• Knight of Naughtyness

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post
    I seem to recall that if your computer knows your pod, then it's super hard to get another one to work, but I'm not sure.

Any thoughts?
    You can use multiple iPods with one PC. However, you cannot give an iPod loaded with songs from your pc to a friend and have it save the songs on their PC. I may be wrong, but I think it can only sync with one PC at a time, and you would have to remove the content on the iPod to sync with a new PC.

Also, from apple:

iTunes 7 allows one to use an iPod to transfer songs purchased through iTunes to as many as five authorized computers. This only works for songs purchased through iTunes, not those ripped from CDs or downloaded from other sources, which are much more common.
    This restriction was designed to discourage casual music piracy, but unfortunately, this also prevents one from easily copying legally acquired music from one's own iPod to their own computer.
    Last edited by Osky; 12-11-2006 at 02:29 PM.
    -Osky

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Before we totally disregard extremism; lets remember the lesson of the 3 little pigs.

The moderate pig lost his house to the wolf too
    .-- .. .-.. .-.. / .- -. -.-- --- -. . / -... --- - .... . .-. / - --- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . / - .... .. ... ..--..

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post
    First of all, thank you for the iPod, but I'm STILL not having your baby.

It's my understanding that you can't transfer music from your iPod to someone else's computer, so that even if she I can listen to the music you've downloaded onto my new iPod, once I hook that iPod up to my computer and my iTunes, I lose the music you downloaded to it.

Again, I appreciate the gift.
    Stinks,

You're being silly, the iPOD is for the maid staff here. You are getting a private trip to Tiffany's where you can select whatever you like, as much as you like. That will be followed by a trip to Italy on my Gulf Stream IV.

Have a great day, start packing.

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Osky View Post
    You can use multiple iPods with one PC. However, you cannot give an iPod loaded with songs from your pc to a friend and have it save the songs on their PC. I may be wrong, but I think it can only sync with one PC at a time, and you would have to remove the content on the iPod to sync with a new PC.

Also, from apple:

iTunes 7 allows one to use an iPod to transfer songs purchased through iTunes to as many as five authorized computers. This only works for songs purchased through iTunes, not those ripped from CDs or downloaded from other sources, which are much more common.
    This restriction was designed to discourage casual music piracy, but unfortunately, this also prevents one from easily copying legally acquired music from one's own iPod to their own computer.

Thanks Osky!

I didn't write my question well, as per usual. I know that she will lose content once she intalls it on her PC, but I just wanted to get her started. The way that I 'share' music is to make playlists, burn them onto CDs, then give the CD to my pal, who will then rip the music, so they have it on their PC. I just wanted to get her started on some music, so she will have something to listen to on the plane.

Thanks!

• Banned User

I have a way!!!
    but it may be a pain in the arse. but you can giver her an account on your computer. and send your music into her ( made up email and it will sink into hers.) computers can have multi accounts. so the music you send to the account will go into the ipod. but she has to make sure when she hooks her ipod onto her computer she signes up on the same account as the one you did on your computer.... see a pian in the arse, just gve her an itumes card and the ipod, and when she gets it you can send music in emails and it will go into her itunes

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

Find your iPod under My Computer, click on it.

Once you are there select View, and Hidden Files.

A folder called "Music" should appear. That is where all your music is, in a whole bunch of folders. You can copy and paste into iTunes.

Note: This is a huge pain in the ass.

1. All the music is thrown into random folders, and depending on how much music you have, there are A LOT of them.

2. All the files are named weirdly, such as 67HDK897. Just really random things, but once they are moved into iTunes the song name and artist will appear.
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Tui View Post
    Find your iPod under My Computer, click on it.

Once you are there select View, and Hidden Files.

A folder called "Music" should appear. That is where all your music is, in a whole bunch of folders. You can copy and paste into iTunes.

Note: This is a huge pain in the ass.

1. All the music is thrown into random folders, and depending on how much music you have, there are A LOT of them.

2. All the files are named weirdly, such as 67HDK897. Just really random things, but once they are moved into iTunes the song name and artist will appear.

Thanks so much, I really appreciate it. I will give it a shot.

• no one to be trifled with

Blog Entries

one more thing - this was also covered a few days ago here : http://www.lifehacker.com/software/i...pod-220169.php

• no flash photography...

I have another question. We have been given a 60gig ipod that is loaded up, but it was loaded up using a mac. We have PC's. Is there anyway to recover anything from the ipod before we reformat it to PC format?

We do have an older mac, but there's not 60gig of space left on the harddrive and it keeps saying the ipod is sync'd to another computer.