Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• most magical vaca ever

iPod... Rhapsody... CHOCOLATE ???

Hello Tech Lounge Folks

I am in DESPERATE NEED of help!

My 12 yr old son wants either an iPod Nano- a SanDisk Rhapsody OR the Verizon Chocolate phone/mp3

Anyone have any suggestions on what is easiest for a young teen to use?

He doesn't care if it has video... just looking for something a step up from his Disney Mix Stick

Any advice is GREATLY appreciated
    ~~~~~~

• most magical vaca ever

Re: iPod... Rhapsody... CHOCOLATE ???

I think we are going to go w/the Chocolate

He already has phone service w/Verizon Wireless so this may be the way to go right now.....
    ~~~~~~

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I hear good things about the Chocolate. But if he was interested in an iPod to begin with, the Motorola SLVR is an ultra thin phone with built in iTunes. It only holds a maximum 100 songs, but is fully iTunes compatible and a very cool looking device.

I'm not sure if they offer the phone on Verizon, so you might want to check.

-Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Senior Minion

If it is song quantity you are looking for I would go against the iTunes phone. At the moment they only allow 100 songs - no matter how large a memory card you get (I tried). I used to have the iTunes phone, but now have the Chocolate and it has a 1GB memory, and so far I have about 160 songs on it.

With the Chocolate it took me a while to get used to the touch sensitive controls, but I'm sure your soon will learn them quickly. Plus the fact that you can take pictures and video on this phone makes it rather neat. But, due to its unique controls it tends to use up the battery rather quickly (I usually try to listen to it throughout my work day).

But, I have to admit that personally I have my eye on the new iPod shuffle, it's so small ... and the price isn't too bad. Maybe you should check into this option as well.

• Former Epcot CM

I've heard awful things about the Chocolate. Terrible memory, awful features - the only reason people seem to go for it is the novelty of the touch sensitive pad. As soon as they have had it for a week or so, they realise what a poor phone it is.

If you are looking for a music player, iPod never fails.
    Phone and music player, a Sony Ericcson Walkman phone is the best of the best.
    Shiny and New

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California

July 2012 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    If you are looking for a music player, iPod never fails.
    Phone and music player, a Sony Ericcson Walkman phone is the best of the best.
    Ipods never fail? Really? Then why is it that I am currently on my third ipod after the first two have gone belly up for no reason? (thank goodness for my $50/year warranty that has paid for itself by now)

Kallie, I think the chocolate is cool, but it also depends on how much music he wants to have stored.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• Banned User

Ipod!! but thats my choice for a kid

• most magical vaca ever

You guys/gals ROCK!

Thanks sooooo much for all your input!
    ~~~~~~

• That Guy

iPOD. I would not even entertain another type of MP3 player. Also, I am 30, so not in the same age range as your son, but I wouldn't listen to music on my phone, just like I don't watch DVDs on my microwave. For sound, quality, and ease of use, you cannot beat an iPOD.

• Huh?

My roommate has a chocolate. Personally, I hate it... but, that's just me. It's very touchy, he's already had to replace it once after only a couple months (he hasn't been rough on it).

But, it was only $50.
    -Tim

• Pilot EdForceOne

Get a SanDisk 1gig player. They are cheap, reliable, and effective.

Software? Just drag and drop in Windows.
    Ripping? Just use Windows Media Player
    Synching? Handled in Windows Media Player
    Accessories? No need, just plug into PC and drop into pocket
    Buying Music? Use any WMA service including those with Subscription 'all you can eat' plans.

For a young kid, I think this is the best way without tying all kinds of money into apple's monopoly world.

Don't buy a music phone.. they are good for occasional listening.. that's it. Spend less then $100 and get him virtually all the mp3 playing he needs.

One like this
    http://www.buy.com/prod/SanDisk_Sans...202021589.html

• most magical vaca ever

My head is spinning

Thanks so much for all your advice..... I have a few days to decide so I will continue to read up on reviews, etc....

~~~~~~

• And, THEN she said...

I yap (type) about the Chocolate for 8 hours a day...remember that phone does not ship with ANY default memory card..you will need to go to the accessories page at verizon Wireless and look at the memory cards they have 256 MB 512 MB 1 and 2 GIG memory cards for it. I can write down the prices and how many songs each card holds during work tomorrow and post it here. and, dont worry when it says mini SD card, they are packaged with a card adapter so the mini SD's will fit in the Chocolates. any phone on site that says Mp3 player or music player I.E. Chocolates, Razers, Krzers do not ship with default memory. So, if you want to use the Mp3 feature, you have to get a memory card. and they have to be from Verizon, cause of the card adapter!

Oh, and dont forget in order to download songs from the puter to the phone you will need a Music Essentials kit for it Also on Verizon Wireless on the accessories page for $29.99 that has all of the cabling needed to hook the phone to the puter... and the Chocolate supports both Mp3 and WMA music formats.

and, you do not need to activate the V-cast service unless he wants to Download songs n ring tones from the V-cast site. that is $15 per month added on the phone bill.

here is an exellent review site for phones we have it on the puters at work
    http://www.phonescoop.com/

and there are different colors for the Chocolates Dark, White, Cherry and Mint

and, they are doing overnight shipping for Christmas, BUT you HAVE to order it before noon! It ends today (Wednsday)

OMG I feel like I am at work..Only Difference is my puter is better than the ANCIENT Dells they have LOL

Oh, and if anyone goes to the Verizon Wireless Site and gets the invitation to chat..PLEASE be nice to the person on the other end...it COULD be me..don't badger the poor person with are you there? or HELLO??? we have 3 chats going at the same time and trying to look up stuff for each person...so, have a heart LOL
    Last edited by Groomer; 12-19-2006 at 10:33 PM.

• Bring Me Two Piña Coladas

iPod it!!! can't go wrong. a phone is a phone, leave it that way! i pod holds more, easier to use, and is great for kids that dont have to get their phone stolen by the school bully...unless he is the school bully

• most magical vaca ever

Quote Originally Posted by goofygoof View Post
    iPod it!!! can't go wrong. a phone is a phone, leave it that way! i pod holds more, easier to use, and is great for kids that dont have to get their phone stolen by the school bully...unless he is the school bully

No.... he's not the school bully

Well, we purchased

Chose to get the ipod -

Got it in RED since black was sold out-

I really like the chocolate, thanks Groomer for the info - I think I am going to get the chocolate for myself in February when my phone is able to be upgraded again. My SIL works for Verizon Wireless and I've already warned her to get it all ready for me- I want the "Cherry" chocolate.

Hmmmmm , I think I have something with the color RED

Again... Thankyou ALL for your input on this thread
    ~~~~~~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast