• Minion

I'm not sure what to do

In april i bought a 300$, 19 inch westinghouse monitor/tv. All of a sudden starting sunday, it began to turn off occasionaly. I thought nothing of it until monday, when the power supply suddenly stopped working. Now, it works, but its uncontrollable. It turns on and off randomly, and dosnt show a clear image.
    Now last night i finally got it to turn on for moe than a minute, and to my disbelif when i turned it on...there was a crack "inside" the monitor, from me investigating about the power supply. I'm devestated (hey im only 14..300 is a lot). Anyone have any suggestions? My guess is nothing can be done. I don't have the box, no warrenty, reciept, nada.
    I'v definitley learned my lesson, but is it possible this can be sent somewhere to be fixed?
    Thanks all, i know someone on miechat can help me!

• Directly directed

Re: I'm not sure what to do

Call the manufactuer. Maybe it's a defect and they'll replace it.

• New Old Member

As suggested, call the manufactuer. Couldn't hurt. Other then that, if they don't help, well, I would toss it. Even if it cost half of what you paid for it. Repair shops in my area get aroung $45 per hour labor, tack parts on top of that and it could cost as much as a new set. If anything you could have it looked at, pay the labor if estimate is too much and tell them they can have it. Unfortunately, some items today just aren't worth it to fix. Do call the factory though, Westinghouse is just now getting into the TV business head strong and they just might cut you a break. Good luck.

Wow, only 14 years old with all these posts. Good going!

• I'm your huckleberry.

What a bummer!

I'd try calling the manufacturer, but wouldn't get my hopes up. And a repair shop can really end up costing as much as a new TV.

I'm glad you learned a lesson though. Many of us had to learn the hard way about saving reciepts and warranty information. Next time you'll be prepared, right!

And BTW, kudos to you for saving up that much money. Not many 14 year olds would have the discipline to do that! Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperbole View Post
    And BTW, kudos to you for saving up that much money. Not many 14 year olds would have the discipline to do that! Good job!
    lol, thank you

• Minion

I'm getting extremely frustrated over this. I know it sounds wierd...but this is a huge deal to me.
    I emailed the manufacturer (westinghouse) and told them my story, and am waiting for a responce (that i may not get)
    I was able to watch TV on it a few minutes ago, then the power suplly turned off again
    it looks like its just a short circut...but with the crack its very distracting

• Banned User

oh thats so sad, I am sorry PV I hope you can get them to fix it, and Please hon, save all reciepts!! its important to keep them tucked away for up to a year. and get warrantys ok. Best of luck hon.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I'm sure you'll get it taken care of. If they can't fix it, you can always remember that there will be more you can save your money up for and buy . Check to see if you have bar codes or numbers or something on the back of the thing to help them identify the monitor as theirs.

PLUS you really should search a lot on Google for their phone numbers. Chances are, you will find them on the net somewhere.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuna Makarla View Post
    oh thats so sad, I am sorry PV I hope you can get them to fix it, and Please hon, save all reciepts!! its important to keep them tucked away for up to a year. and get warrantys ok. Best of luck hon.
    Thanks Karla, it did teach me to ave them..but im still so frustrated

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    I'm sure you'll get it taken care of. If they can't fix it, you can always remember that there will be more you can save your money up for and buy . Check to see if you have bar codes or numbers or something on the back of the thing to help them identify the monitor as theirs.

PLUS you really should search a lot on Google for their phone numbers. Chances are, you will find them on the net somewhere.
    I actually have their number, i'm going to be calling later.
    All of the monitor info is on the back of it, bar code, model number ect. so they can definitley see it is theirs

• враг народа

Blog Entries

When it was going on and off when you were using it as a monitor or as a TV? I've dealt with a couple of PCs that will automatically shut off their monitors when infected with malicous software.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    When it was going on and off when you were using it as a monitor or as a TV? I've dealt with a couple of PCs that will automatically shut off their monitors when infected with malicous software.
    both

• Minion

Well, my dad just gave me my Hannukkah present...a new screen
    Its an insignia 15 inch, a bit smaller than the old one, but i'm so glad he realized how much time i spent saving up and bought me this.
    By the way, anyone around best buy..15 inch insignia monitor/tv...100 dollars..
    great deal
    Thanks everyone for your input!