Thread: Lots of Qs

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Lots of Qs

I am currently in the process of redoing how all of the computers at the ice rink I work at are set up. I am interested in doing a few things, and need some advice on the best way to go about getting them done.

Question 1:
    I will be moving one computer into the Sound Booth. This computer will display a slide show about current and upcoming events on a television in the lobby and store all of our music for our public sessions. I am interested in using two monitors on one computer. I need some information on hooking it up so that one monitor shows the slide show and sends it to the television and then have the other monitor display the main desktop area and allow access to the music. I am also curious if it would be possible to lock the computer while still displaying the slide show. The computer runs Windows XP.

Question 2:
    On this same computer I want to run all of our public session music. I was thinking iTunes 7 would probably be the best means possible as the Party Shuffle and Smart Playlists would work out really well. It is also widely used and I would not have to be at the rink to run the music. We have a recorded spiel that goes over all of the rules. Is there any way to have this play inbetween songs about every 45 minutes?

Question 3:
    The General Manager and Hockey Director just got brand new laptops. They would like to be able to work from home. What would be the easiest (they're not very computer literate) way for me to give them access to files stored on computers here at the rink?

Thanks in advance for helping!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Re: Lots of Qs

For 3... I would say a jump drive - one of those little drives you plug into the laptop, if it's not huge files and such.

but I might not have any idea what i'm talking about!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I thought about those, but then they have to return to the rink and change out the files. Which means we'd have to keep a log of every file they have taken home and make sure nobody at the rink edits it.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Just want to bring attention to this again. I am still looking for answers to Questions 1 and 2.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post

Question 1:
    I will be moving one computer into the Sound Booth. This computer will display a slide show about current and upcoming events on a television in the lobby and store all of our music for our public sessions. I am interested in using two monitors on one computer. I need some information on hooking it up so that one monitor shows the slide show and sends it to the television and then have the other monitor display the main desktop area and allow access to the music. I am also curious if it would be possible to lock the computer while still displaying the slide show. The computer runs Windows XP.
    Okay... this is probably not what you're looking for but it might be helpful:

http://www.mediachance.com/free/multishow.htm

If your slideshow is a series of photos (rather than a PP or similar file) then this might be the ticket. I use it on my 2-monitor setup and it works pretty well.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

As cool as that is, I am currently using a PowerPoint presentation. I plan to redesign the slieshow, but as a website.

Question 3:
    The General Manager and Hockey Director just got brand new laptops. They would like to be able to work from home. What would be the easiest (they're not very computer literate) way for me to give them access to files stored on computers here at the rink?

Thanks in advance for helping!
    Do you already have a way for them to access the rink network from home? If not, one (of many) possibilities is to rig up a secure FTP site and use some kind of synchronization software.

Here's one sych and backup utility that I use:

http://www.2brightsparks.com/

As cool as that is, I am currently using a PowerPoint presentation. I plan to redesign the slieshow, but as a website.
    Ah well, sorry then! I'm afraid I know diddly about PP. Good luck with it!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RangerSyl View Post
    Do you already have a way for them to access the rink network from home? If not, one (of many) possibilities is to rig up a secure FTP site and use some kind of synchronization software.

Here's one sych and backup utility that I use:

http://www.2brightsparks.com/
    The Hockey Directors actually just email the files back and forth between each other. I decided not to mess with their methods. The General Manager only needs to share files with me, but they're templates. I can just over write the files on her computer from mine when they get updated, which is infrequent.

• DCA lover

well, for question 2, you could set up playlists and insert your spiel every 10-15 songs or so. not sure how to do it with the party shuffle though