• insufferable know-it-all

I finally bought a laptop!!!!

I should preface this by saying that I'm mostly a desktop girl, but seeing as my business requires me to be somewhat mobile computing-wise, I really needed to get a laptop with wireless LAN.

I should also point out that my previous laptop has millennium edition, so it's a POS. No, really, it's crap. And not craptacular in a "Snakes on a Plane" sense, it just sucks.

So I've been doing a lot of research and yesterday got it narrowed down to a decent laptop. It wasn't the snazzy one I had it narrowed down to the day before (on Toshiba's website, for $1300, it was the a105-s4344), but a decent one, the Satellite A105-S4094, because a)I could get it on Best Buy For Business (dot com), and b)I had a 10% off coupon for said website, making the price difference about $300. That difference was enough for me to concede a few bells and whistles, like getting core 2 duo instead of core duo (regular), as well as some memory and storage being a bit smaller.

Ah, but last night, on a whim we decided to hit the Best Buy down on Lake Forest (the other day I went to the La Paz one, which was sold out of almost everything and run by a kid who probably only knew that computers were what you use to fill your iPod). Anyway, there they had one that's not available on bbfb.com, and very similar in qualities to the snazzy $1300 one I liked so much on toshiba's website. It's the a105-s4334 (yup, a single digit change). Different chip number, for whatever that's worth (5200 instead of 5500), 1.6 ghz instead of 1.66, and 160 gb hard drive instead of 200. Ah, but a faster hard drive read speed of 5400 rpm instead of 4200. All that, and a bag of chips - okay, not really on the bag of chips, but they're remarkably similar and both vastly nicer than the one I was planning to get (because the coupon brought the price down to just under $1000). And we talked to the computer guys there, and for some reason the supervisor kinda joined in the conversation (probably because the store was EMPTY - good god, it was WINDY last night!). Anyway, I explained that I was planning to buy on the site because of the coupon, unless it was something they could honor in the store, which there was a slight ambiguity about. (Best Buy guys don't work on commission, btw) Anyway, so he asks if I'm planning on buying anything else that night, which I was, because I needed Microsoft Office. Turns out their profits aren't huge on the computers, but they're better on software, so he was willing to give me $100 off the laptop since I was buying office. Not only that, but he gave me the online price for MS Office, because bbfb.com lists it at $359, and in the store they're asking $399. Now, yeah I could have gotten maybe $40 more off, BUT, the snazzy computer was not available online! So I considered it a deal well made and took it!

No, I'm not writing from my laptop right now, because we haven't turned the wireless part of our LAN back on yet, as my lappy-top has no protection in it yet. But I finally got one!

Yeah, so um... once in a while the guys at Best Buy actually bargain, who knew?

edit: oh yeah, and I still have the coupon to use, LOL

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• no flash photography...

Re: I finally bought a laptop!!!!

I got a bargain at best buy also. Congrats on your lap top. I love mine ai

• Minion

Congrats! We got a laptop the same day as each other!

• Banned User

• no one to be trifled with

Blog Entries

well done, Morrigoon! Enjoy!

• Banned User

yay... another one upgrades... i love my laptop...

wish it was a mac though..