View Poll Results: Who's going to get AppleTV?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yep, it looks like just what I need (well, want)

6 40.00%
  • Yes, but I'll wait for a later generation

3 20.00%
  • No, there is no PVR function

2 13.33%
  • No, I don't want/need one

4 26.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• See you there!

Who wants your AppleTV?

As a companion to the iPhone poll...

Who wants their AppleTV?

Raises hand, I do! I do!

CU@DL

Andy
    -
    What is, is... What is not, is not.

Boom!

I don't ask for much... Just a few little things!

Extra effort yields extraordinary results!

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Re: Who wants your AppleTV?

Um... I haven't looked into the TV. I only checked out the phone!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• no one to be trifled with

Blog Entries

I would have voted no or later, until I watched the keynote presentation. Now I see where this fits in. If you store video, images or music on one or more computers in your home, you can watch from the living room. If your friend visits with a laptop with a movie on it, he beams it to your tv over the network. Pretty slick.

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Westley View Post
    I would have voted no or later, until I watched the keynote presentation. Now I see where this fits in. If you store video, images or music on one or more computers in your home, you can watch from the living room. If your friend visits with a laptop with a movie on it, he beams it to your tv over the network. Pretty slick.
    And everything that Sony has already done. Just a continuation of the iRipoff line. Of course, this will probably be, once again, much more popular merely because Apple has the better marketing skills.

Their computers are great. It's just that everything else, well, it's just lesser rip-offs of what some other company has been doing for a while now. It's like Disney of the 70s with better marketing.
    -Tim

• no one to be trifled with

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum View Post
    And everything that Sony has already done. Just a continuation of the iRipoff line. Of course, this will probably be, once again, much more popular merely because Apple has the better marketing skills.

Their computers are great. It's just that everything else, well, it's just lesser rip-offs of what some other company has been doing for a while now. It's like Disney of the 70s with better marketing.
    Innovation is taking an existing piece of info/material, and making it more useful or better. So what Apple has done (I hope) is made something easier to do. It may not do everything one might want, but it should do what it says it will easily and hopefully intuitively. They don't always get it right (iTunes has almost as many enemies as friends) but the Apple UI usually makes things easier. It's not just marketing.

• Huh?

It is marketing. Pure marketing. Apple has never been able to provide anything better on their iWhatever line.

iPod: Several superior MP3 players existed on the market before. And they were already pretty easy to use. The only thing that iPod did was make digital music popular.

iVideo: Creative and other companies had made portable media centers for years with larger hard drives, larger screens, and they were pretty easy to use. Plus, they were cheaper than the iVideo.

iTunes: MP3.com was a huge pioneer in this field. The advantage of iTunes? If you want something to be played on a non-iPod, you have to go through a lot more work to do so. Oh, wait... that's not an advantage.

AppleTV: So, Sony had already done this and made it compatible with PSP, too. So, not only could you sync a computer with the TV, but you could sit in a Barnes & Noble across town, watching live TV on your PSP.

iToilet: The difference between Apple's toilet and everybody elses? The iToilet flushes in the middle of your crap, spewing cold water all over your bum. Occasionally mixed in with sulfuric acid, which is part of their self-cleaning device. But it sold better due to the ingenious marketing showing a bunch of silhouetted women enjoying a beer while taking a leak.
    -Tim

• See you there!

AppleTV: So, Sony had already done this and made it compatible with PSP, too. So, not only could you sync a computer with the TV, but you could sit in a Barnes & Noble across town, watching live TV on your PSP.

Maybe Sony did do something with the PSP, but, that really doesn't help me. I don't have a PSP, I have no desire to have a PSP, and the PSP doesn't help me with managing my content I have in iTunes and iPhoto.

I like many, many people (look at the music and video sales on iTunes) have an extensive multimedia library all managed through iTunes, and the AppleTV will help us manage and view that media in an organized manner.

I like many, many people have and extensive photo library managed through iPhoto.

If a person do not use iTunes, I can see where the AppleTV, or iPod may be of no use to them.

But, but for the many, many people (like me) who use iTunes for our multimedia management, the AppleTV is GREAT.

The AppleTV was not meant to be a PSP, AppleTV was meant to help manage and view iTunes and iPhoto multimedia.

It is marketing. Pure marketing. Apple has never been able to provide anything better on their iWhatever line.
    I think you may have forgotten one little thing... Ease of use. For many of us, The Mac OS is just easier to use, it is more intuitive. For many of us, not for everyone, but for many folks.

iPod: Several superior MP3 players existed on the market before. And they were already pretty easy to use. The only thing that iPod did was make digital music popular.
    I think you may have forgotten one little thing... Ease of use. For many of us, The iPod is just easier to use, it is more intuitive. For many of us, not for everyone, but for many folks.

iTunes: MP3.com was a huge pioneer in this field. The advantage of iTunes? If you want something to be played on a non-iPod, you have to go through a lot more work to do so. Oh, wait... that's not an advantage.
    Well, again, iTunes just works, it is easy to use, it has an intuitive interface (for many of us, not all, but for many) and it just works. If you do not want an iPod, well, you can still purchase music through iTunes and use it, it is just takes a few more steps. But it easier (IMHO) to use the iPod with iTunes, and many of us who use iTunes also use an iPod. BTW: I purchased music through iTunes even before I had an iPod because I wanted to have all my music on my computer to stream through out my house, yep, I had to do a little extra work, but it wasn't and still isn't that much work to me, and it helps me keep my music organized and I can find what I want to purchase on iTunes very easily.

iToilet: The difference between Apple's toilet and everybody elses? The iToilet flushes in the middle of your crap, spewing cold water all over your bum. Occasionally mixed in with sulfuric acid, which is part of their self-cleaning device. But it sold better due to the ingenious marketing showing a bunch of silhouetted women enjoying a beer while taking a leak.
    You know, I have never seen the iToilet. If I look on Apple's web site and in the Apple Store, I don't see an iToilet. and, I really don't see what an iToilet (which must be made by some other company) has to do with AppleTV ?? <just returning a leg pull, all in fun>

Just MHO, YMMV

CU@DL

Andy
    Last edited by CUatDL; 01-10-2007 at 10:59 AM.
    -
    What is, is... What is not, is not.

Boom!

I don't ask for much... Just a few little things!

Extra effort yields extraordinary results!

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by CUatDL View Post
    The AppleTV was not meant to be a PSP, it was meant to help manage iTunes and iPhoto multimedia.

Just for clarification, Sony's system wasn't made for PSP. It was meant for access on any computer system throughout the world. They merely included software to access it on the PSP.
    -Tim

•   
    • Minion

This is one of those "missing link" pieces of technology that really needs to come standard with every computer system...

I am a lot offended that it has to be offered extra, so I will wait untill computer manufacturers "get a clue"
    Check out my other blog:

• All you need is LOVE

I want one

• Never Look Back

I want one...this thing is great!

I agree it should come standard with new computers in the future, but who knows it probably will. I want this product though, because it is from Apple, and that means that it will work. It also means that it will be easy to use, and require minimal setup. Way to go Apple, on yet another ground breaking product.

• Knight of Naughtyness

Unlike the iPhone which I will need right away, I will sit this one out until later. Need to get a high-def set first.
    -Osky

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Before we totally disregard extremism; lets remember the lesson of the 3 little pigs.

The moderate pig lost his house to the wolf too
    .-- .. .-.. .-.. / .- -. -.-- --- -. . / -... --- - .... . .-. / - --- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . / - .... .. ... ..--..

• Pilot EdForceOne

AppleTV should only appeal to mac-only houses who can't use all the other digital media boxes out there already. With Windows Media Edition, there are plenty of devices that work this way.. or others that work tying back to software on the PC.

Heck, for this price, buy an xbox360 for $299 get similar features, and get a next gen gaming console out of it!

Apple is doing this for one reason.. to have a copy-protected path from iTunes store to your Big Screen TV to push their Movie sales. By getting iTMS to the big screen, they hope to further push video item sales.

The box is limited to content iTunes can play.. rather then much more flexible codec options (like playing divx, wmv, etc).

The box is not innovative at all in the market. The only thing that will carry it are

- mac-only users who couldn't use other devices
    - people who buy videos from the music store

• Knight of Naughtyness

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    AppleTV should only appeal to mac-only houses who can't use all the other digital media boxes out there already. With Windows Media Edition, there are plenty of devices that work this way.. or others that work tying back to software on the PC.

The box is not innovative at all in the market. The only thing that will carry it are

- mac-only users who couldn't use other devices
    - people who buy videos from the music store

I am beginning to think you are just anti-apple stuff. I have predominantly a PC household, yet I see the benefit of the AppleTV.
    -Osky

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Before we totally disregard extremism; lets remember the lesson of the 3 little pigs.

The moderate pig lost his house to the wolf too
    .-- .. .-.. .-.. / .- -. -.-- --- -. . / -... --- - .... . .-. / - --- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . / - .... .. ... ..--..

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Osky View Post
    I am beginning to think you are just anti-apple stuff. I have predominantly a PC household, yet I see the benefit of the AppleTV.
    Which is what? There are other devices that do the same stuff with more flexibility.

AppleTV is limited to mp4. The only thing it 'adds' to the mix is its the first that can play iTunes Music Store protected content (which is its whole reason for existence)

I'm not anti-apple. I'm 'wheres the beef?'. I've used Macs since 1985. I've had no less then 7 different Macs. I still have a iMac and iBook at my disposal. I just don't think anything apple puts out is 'holy' or 'golden'. They have to put out something that does the job properly.. just like everyone else.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast