• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Keeping you computer clean! (The Free Way!)

If you have had your computer for a while, things may start to seem slow, and you may get frequent crashing. However, with a few simple free tools, you can clean up your computer!

1. Check for Viruses

If your looking for a good free antivirus, I suggest AVG Anti-Virus. It's updated as much as the big boys, and it's wasy to use. Install it, update it, and scan your computer.

2. Check for Spyware

Spyware is a big issue today, so there are alot of free tools out on the 'net to clean spyware. I suggest Microsoft AntiSpyware. It's got the best bacground monitoring tools, and asks for your approval when something wants to be changed. Install it, and do a quick scan.

3. Clean Up Temp. Files and Dead Registry Links

There are alot of files that can be cleaned on your computer. I suggest Crap Cleaner. It can delete all that stuff that reamins pointless, and supports clearing of your tracks too. Install it, open it, check everything, and then hit the "Run Cleaner" button. Then head over to the "Issues" tab, hit "Scan for Issues", then "Fix Selected Issues...", backup if you want to, and then hit "Fix all Selected Issues". Do this several times, as there can be alot of useless registry junk.

4. Accelerate your boot time.
    A great tool called Tune XP, will allow you to change certain key things in Windows that can slow down your computer. Install it, select your Windows drive (useally C, and under the "Memory and File System" menu select each option and change it to enable. Under "IO Page Lock Limit", select the one that is around the amount of RAM you have. After doing that, head to the "Hardware" menu, and enable UDMA-66. Then head to "Internet", and set "DNS Cache Increase" to enable. Finally, head back the "Memory and File System" menu, and select "Ultra-Fast Booting". This will re-arrange your boot files to the front of the drive (so they run faster), and then do a full defrag on your drive. This process may take several hours, but is well worth it in the long-run.

There you go! Several free apps that will keep your computer in tip-top shape.
    -Monorail Man

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Gumball Rally Volunteer!

Re: Keeping you computer clean! (The Free Way!)

Actually I recommend Spybot Search and Destroy for Spyware - it catches what MS's doesn't.

I'd also recommend running TWO different spyware programs - there are some things each program will miss. Ad-aware is another great anti-spyware program.

You can Google-search for both.
    Happy Anniversary, MiceChat!

• insufferable know-it-all

I generally run Ad-Aware and Spybot

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Minion

I've been using AVG Anti-Virus for a week or two once my McAfee VirusScan subscription ended. At first I was skeptical because the look and such wasn't much to brag about, but it's an excellent program.

• And, THEN she said...

ive been using AVG for years and ive changed from time to time but ive always gone back.. crap cleaner not too sure of..i used it and wiped out windows.. but i did find a good junk cleaner that dont take out any windows files its called g Temp cleaner its awesome and also free! one of my "things" free software..butim having a hard time finding a good free alternative to paint shop pro..i have Photo filter (free) but its just not what i want

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by groomer_4_u
    ive been using AVG for years and ive changed from time to time but ive always gone back.. crap cleaner not too sure of..i used it and wiped out windows.. but i did find a good junk cleaner that dont take out any windows files its called g Temp cleaner its awesome and also free! one of my "things" free software..butim having a hard time finding a good free alternative to paint shop pro..i have Photo filter (free) but its just not what i want
    have tou tried gimp??(I think thats the name..)