• ...TWO BITS!

Google Video vs YouTube

As some of you know, I have a youtube account. I was looking through Google Video and noticed they have a feature where you can download the videos. I didn't try it yet. I know Google now owns YouTube. Was wondering if that download feature will come to YouTube, OR should I start putting videos on Google since I've gotten many download requests...

What other differences can you point me out to?

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Re: Google Video vs YouTube

Considering that YouTube is quickly becoming the source for offical video uploads from the TV studios and such, I doubt it.
    -Monorail Man

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

I think both sites are very well done but each has their faults. The sort by date feature on Google doesn't work properly. it will seem that way at first but you'll find that the hits on the next page are newer than the ones at the bottom of the last page you were at.

As far as Youtube goes, I don't like the fact that people are allowed to take a string of random words in the description and dilute the search results. For example I was looking for results for the query "Mickey Mouse" and got Saddam Hussein's hanging and other political fodder. What if you were 10 doing the same search. Yikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

• Know More Than You Should

Well, if you look 'round the net, you can actually download YouTube videos. It's not something the average user would do however, and it technically violates YouTube's Terms of Use.

On Google Video (which I use) you can download, though you can turn this feature off if you don't want your video to be downloaded.

Google Video also allows you to upload videos of any length, no matter who you are, as apposed to the limits set by YouTube for those you don't apply to be a "Director".

On the con side however, once you upload your video to Google, it will take several days to appear as they "verify" it (to ensure that it contains no copyrighted material or innapropriate content), as apposed to YouTube which is faster.

Also, YouTube is (obviously) more popular than Google Video, and with the exception of people who specifically follow a link to your video, less people are likely to see it on Google Video.

I like GV because I find everything to be much cleaner and better layed out- but that's just me.

I agree that Google's interface is cleaner. the video size is bigger and the defult screen size is 16x9 which is a good thing, but YouTube is the defacto place to go to find anything

• ...TWO BITS!

Hmmm... can you set videos in GV to private like YouTube? I knew about sites that let you download youtube videos, but I dont think I have that capability but am sure others have.

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

From what I hear, GV and YouTube will remain separate. But since G bought YT, copyright holders have been coming down hard on them - there have been vids that have been taken off within minutes of being put up (NBC I'm lookin' at you!)

That's all I know about that.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Banned User

I'll be switching to Google Video once it becomes popular. But i'm still with Youtube and its horrible quality.

• Know More Than You Should

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11 View Post
    Hmmm... can you set videos in GV to private like YouTube?
    I believe so. At the very least, you can tell Google not to include your videos in search, so people will only see them if you give them the linl/

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

I think it was a huge mistake for Google to buy Youtube. I am very sure thye will lose oney on this one, just from lawsuits. Youtube's popularity is out of control. So much so that it is almost impossible to catch most copywritten material because so many people are uploading it at once. I expect that Youtube is a website that will not make it to 2008, unless Google hires enough people to monitor the content being uploaded.
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

• Down Under without Nemo..

Google video only lets you download if you use their proprietary software which I don't trust to be spyware free (IMHO only)

You can download the FLV files on youtube by simply pasting the link into the download box at http://keepvid.com/ This then generates a loink to allow you to download the video.

I don't trust sites where you have to install "their" software in order to view something.
    DLR California - 1991, 1999, 2002, 2007, 2009
    DLR Florida - 2002, 2007
    DLR Tokyo - 2005
    DLR Paris - 2011
    DLR Hong Kong -2011
    DLR Beijing -TBA

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    ...But since G bought YT, copyright holders have been coming down hard on them - there have been vids that have been taken off within minutes of being put up (NBC I'm lookin' at you!)...
    Disney has been hitting up as well....

• ...TWO BITS!

Quote Originally Posted by lashbear View Post
    I don't trust sites where you have to install "their" software in order to view something.
    Me neither. I have a sendspace account now, but in my opinion, doesn't completely help. I actually haven't checked out keepvid when I first heard about it... guess what I'm doing next

-Jurassic Park