Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

SpyWare/MC question...

My computer is infected right now with Anti-Vermans which is a fake virus scan software that hijacks your homepage... as of right now there is a way to get rid of it... but not at a cheap price. I was looking up information on it and it says that it can hack into many registered accounts on websites such as Forums, bank accounts.. etc... I have no online bank account... but does anyone think there is a good risk of someone getting into my MC account? I want to make sure so I know it will be safe... it has hijacked my homepage which was MC everytime I logged on and displayed other fakes spyware scans.. so I searched google for a remover for it.. turns out those were fake too... so also if anyone knows of a site that is free and can remove the issue please tell me! thanks!

• Quality not quantity

Re: SpyWare/MC question...

I have to say this one sounds suspiciously like a hoax. Where is your homepage hijacked to? How do you know it's called Anti-Vermans?

Have you installed/updated/ran the free microsoft anti-spyware product?
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

• Down Pluto!

There is no value greater than having a good anti-viral suite and keeping it updated.

If you found any info on anti-vermans you did better than I did. Sounds like maybe a variation of coolwebsearch.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Do you mean "antivermins" ???

• no one to be trifled with

Blog Entries

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=5609 has a walkthough of someone cleaning this using free tools and a little elbow grease.

Hope it helps!

• insufferable know-it-all

spybot?

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Down Pluto!

Spybot search and destroy

It also looks for, removes and immunizes against hijackers.

Quote Originally Posted by FantasyWatersDude View Post
    I was looking up information on it and it says that it can hack into many registered accounts on websites such as Forums, bank accounts.. etc... I have no online bank account... but does anyone think there is a good risk of someone getting into my MC account? I want to make sure so I know it will be safe... it has hijacked my homepage which was MC everytime I logged on and displayed other fakes spyware scans.. so I searched google for a remover for it.. turns out those were fake too... so also if anyone knows of a site that is free and can remove the issue please tell me! thanks!
    Once you get it cleaned out (and you should do it ASAP) you ought to change all of your passwords to help protect your various accounts. And you shouldn't have to pay to remove it, there are excellent free products around to help you. Like "Ad-aware", "Spybot" and the Microsoft product.

• Down Pluto!

But what you should pay for is an anti-virus suite like Symantec, McAfee, or somesuch. It's like buying a lock for your front door...

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

thank you everybody!

all the sites I have found to remove anti vermins are either fake them selves or let you do a free scan, it finds them.. but when you try to remove them you must upgrade it. which cost money. the site it took me too was safetypropage.com (don't visit unless you want, but be cautious) anyways... I keep having a pop up on the desktop saying system alert! and when ever I click on the bubble it takes me to anti-vermins.com then i did some research and everyresult said remove anti-vermins and a ton of other sites along with it.... this was secretly installed on my computer while browsing an Roller Coaster Tycoon site.... the scans have found the files and cookies it is in, and some trusted sites have manual ways of removing it... but when I look in the processes, it displays nothing that represents anti-vermins...

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    But what you should pay for is an anti-virus suite like Symantec, McAfee, or somesuch. It's like buying a lock for your front door...
    I have a spyware/adware and anti virus program and they constantley update and scan... but Anti vermins is said to slip through undetected. or secretly as another file that your computer may recognize. CMD didn't really display anything which I kind of knew it wouldn't but thought I would check... the search found some files of it and I deleted them but it doesn't remove the spyware, add or remove programs doesn't display anything either.

• Senior Minion

Ad-Aware Se works well.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Quote Originally Posted by FantasyWatersDude View Post
    I have a spyware/adware and anti virus program and they constantley update and scan... but Anti vermins is said to slip through undetected. or secretly as another file that your computer may recognize. CMD didn't really display anything which I kind of knew it wouldn't but thought I would check... the search found some files of it and I deleted them but it doesn't remove the spyware, add or remove programs doesn't display anything either.
    You can't remove malware by simply deleting the files or looking for the process, these things dig deep into your operating system and need specialized tools to remove. Sometimes an antivirus program won't catch spyware or trojans, and a trojan scanner can't see viruses. A layered defense is best - and you must keep your profiles updated regularly.

As others have mentioned, Lavasoft's Ad-aware personal SE (http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/...e_personal.php) is probably the best place to start.

Also, there are more detailed removal instructions here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic69886.html

Once you've fixed this, you need to run additional scans because you could be infected with all kinds of problems.

Then, please take a look at this site:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best..._utilities.htm

This is a list of rigorously tested free software, with an emphasis on security products.

• Down Pluto!

If this hijacker is a CWS variant - then this may help...
    Last edited by Sambo; 01-24-2007 at 06:38 PM.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I love Ad-Aware. I use it along with my Norton.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast