• Knight of Naughtyness

Microsoft Releases Free Photo Info Tool

Microsoft released a new tool today that lets you edit the information embedded in your photo meta data. I played with this briefly, and I think it is a must have freebie for the windows-based photographer. Check it out:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...photoinfo.mspx

Features

• View or edit photo metadata from inside Windows Explorer. Now, advanced image properties are at your fingertips from within Windows.
    • Edit images individually, or as a collection. Photo Info has two edit modes: individual and collection, making it easy to update many images at the same time.
    • Quick recall of recent entries. For some properties, Photo Info remembers the most recent entries you have typed. To recall a recent entry, click on the drop down arrow and select it from the list.
    • Generate copyright notice automatically. Photo Info can generate a standard copyright notice automatically from the Author and date Created information, if present.
    • Quick recall of location details. To help save time when entering location information, Photo Info can save location details under a name you provide. Recall these details by selecting the location name from the drop-down menu.
    • Correct EXIF capture date / time information. Photo Info can optionally update the EXIF date/time information as recorded in the image file by your camera. You can use this feature to correct the file capture date if your camera's clock was set incorrectly (for example, to the wrong time zone).
    • View EXIF properties. Click on the Details tab to view common EXIF properties. Click on More properties for additional details.
    • Preview the image. To see a larger preview of the image, double-click on the thumbnail.
    • Enhanced hover tips. Hover tips have been enhanced for JPEG, TIFF and other supported file types in Windows Explorer.
    • Custom column properties. In Windows Explorer when viewing a folder in Details view, additional sort properties are available for supported image types.
    Supported file types

The initial release of Microsoft Photo Info supports the following common image file types: JPEG, TIFF, WDP, HDP (HD Photo), NEF, CR2, and CRW*. Support for additional file formats is under consideration for a future release.
    * Support for CRW files requires that an associated THM file is present in the same folder as the selected CRW image. (THM files are thumbnail "sidecar" files generated by certain Canon cameras.)
    -Osky

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Before we totally disregard extremism; lets remember the lesson of the 3 little pigs.

The moderate pig lost his house to the wolf too
    .-- .. .-.. .-.. / .- -. -.-- --- -. . / -... --- - .... . .-. / - --- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . / - .... .. ... ..--..

• Huh?

Re: Microsoft Releases Free Photo Info Tool

Haven't used it yet, but while it's nice that they have finally let us do a little more (much of this has been doable in windows explorer for years if you knew where to look), there's some things that I'm not quite liking.

For a photographer, copyright info is a must. And digital has made it much easier for copyright proof. However, the most important things, should be done in camera: time & date and authorship. I rather hate the fact that they let you change both of these infos. Sure, there have been other programs in the past to let you do these, but nothing as high-profile as this little piece of software is! They claim they let you do it to help prove ownership, but in reality, that just makes it that much easier to steal a photo and forge proof of ownership!

I might be alone. But I'm rather in protest of this software. It eliminates the need for two things that your camera does that's very important to claim your authorship: Author's name and time & date. I realize that many people don't even know that most good cameras are capable of being set up to automatically record your name to the EXIF file every time you take a photo. But, it's really important for people to learn to do this and for that feature and the time & date feature to be disabled.
    -Tim

• Knight of Naughtyness

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum View Post
    For a photographer, copyright info is a must. And digital has made it much easier for copyright proof. However, the most important things, should be done in camera: time & date and authorship. I rather hate the fact that they let you change both of these infos. Sure, there have been other programs in the past to let you do these, but nothing as high-profile as this little piece of software is! They claim they let you do it to help prove ownership, but in reality, that just makes it that much easier to steal a photo and forge proof of ownership!
    While I tend to agree with what you say here, you already point out that much of this can be changed already. There are times when you might want to change the time and date. For example, you grab a camera that hasn't been used for some time and you discover later that the time and date was somehow reset to 1/1/2000 12:00.

I think, for the reasons you suggest, that cameras need to watermark photos in a manner that is undetectable to the naked eye, identifiable in software, and will degrade or destroy the content if the mark is altered or removed. That is really the best way to prove ownership. The EXIF data was never really intended for that, or IMHO is a viable method for that.
    -Osky

Before we totally disregard extremism; lets remember the lesson of the 3 little pigs.

.-- .. .-.. .-.. / .- -. -.-- --- -. . / -... --- - .... . .-. / - --- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . / - .... .. ... ..--..

• Huh?

Photoshop has a digital watermarking filter that embeds a watermark that needs to be decoded in order to be seen. If they incorporate that into cameras, that would be wonderful.

But, even Adobe Bridge will, unfortunately, let you edit this EXIF info.

I'm a bit of a protester in terms of using this for copyright protection (as Microsoft is hyping) since it's WAY too easily manipulated. Maybe the fact that this is what's being hyped the most is why I'm not so much for the program.

Though, just looking on Adobe Bridge CS3, there's a DICOM area of the EXIF that I've never seen before that's made for medical use. Photo Info doesn't seem to let you into this information.

And, thankfully, Bridge blocks from changing the data on when the photo was taken. The simple fact is that you need to make sure that date and time is correct. If date and time is changed that easily, they're destroying every chance for proving when a photo was taken.

Maybe we should just go back to APS.
    -Tim

• Knight of Naughtyness

I would support a method where time date and ownership is watermarked into the photo, along with other information such as GPS data where available, and the EXIF data is allowed to be altered. As long as the EXIF data does not have to be decoded and is not somehow implemented as a watermark, you will always have programs that can edit it. If that is possible, it is no longer a viable means for security. It would be nice if the EXIF data had some means of showing if it was altered from the originally stored values.
    -Osky

• Huh?

Just looked into an exif reader that reads absolutely everything (stuff others ignore). While EXIF can record step by step everything that you did to the photo in photoshop, it looks like it definitely won't record what you did to itself.
    -Tim

• Knight of Naughtyness

Which reader is this?
    -Osky

• Huh?

-Tim

• Knight of Naughtyness

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum View Post
    novel name...

Thanks for the link.
    -Osky

• Huh?

You're welcome.

My Digital/Advanced Digital photo instructor used that program all the time, especially when something odd would happen in the photo where he'd need to find out shutter speeds and f-stops. Of course, you could do that without the program... but his main use for projects was to find out how we edited.
    -Tim

• Banned User

you can encode your name into digital cameras??

is it possible on cannon cameras?? (not the slr ones sadly)

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986 View Post
    you can encode your name into digital cameras??

is it possible on cannon cameras?? (not the slr ones sadly)
    I don't know about the point and shoots, but you can do it with all of their dSLRs. Connect the camera to the computer and open up the EOS Utility. Can't remember where exactly to go in there at the moment, but it shouldn't take to long to find it.
    -Tim