Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Installing a New Hard Drive...

Ok, me again.

I want to put my old hard drive into my new computer. (an HP).
    I got the drive out of the old one, yay!!

But I have 2 issues:
    1. I can't figure out how to take out the casing in the new comp. There's this huge green plastic thing that i can't figure out how to take that off. I've even broken a few nails trying Any ideas?

2. I'm still confused as to how to plug it in - the grey cord that's attached to my current HD - I I'm assuming the master is plugged into that - do I use the slave on that and plug that into the old drive? (i know about the red line and pin 1). Or what??

Any help'd be appreciated!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Just your average Joe.

Blog Entries

Re: Installing a New Hard Drive...

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    Ok, me again.
    1. I can't figure out how to take out the casing in the new comp. There's this huge green plastic thing that i can't figure out how to take that off. I've even broken a few nails trying Any ideas?
    Sounds like the fan shroud. Is it a Dell? Most of theirs are green. The model number of the computer would help, but if it's like most, it probably is just clipped on. On the Dell's, some of them have tabs, some you just squeeze (like putting your hand around your other wrist and squeeze).

But again, without a model of computer, it's difficult to say.

2. I'm still confused as to how to plug it in - the grey cord that's attached to my current HD - I I'm assuming the master is plugged into that - do I use the slave on that and plug that into the old drive? (i know about the red line and pin 1). Or what??
    It's going to depend on what's already plugged in. In most systems from big vendors, they will ship the HD and CD/DVD on seperate controllers. If they are IDE (the flat wide grey cables), they are usually set to Cable Select. This means that the primary/slave is decided by where you plug it in on the cable. If it's actually set (via jumper) to master and slave, you will probably have to change the jumper of your old hard drive before you plug it in. IDE drives usually have a diagram near the jumper block showing which setting is for Master/Slave or Cable Select.

However, if it is a newer SATA drive, it won't be using the flat grey cable. In this case, you may just need to plug your old one in with it's old cable, and double check the boot order in the system BIOS. (That is if your new system has support for both SATA and IDE connections.)

Again, here is where knowing the model of computer would help.

If I'm being to technical, please let me know.

• The Power To Do More

Many OEM's such as your HP use those green things to "simplify" drive installation

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA.../c00640357.jpg

After opening the side of the case, snap the front off, lift those green things and slide the drive out the front of your chassis.

Install the Screws into the side of the hard drive (this is what that "green thing" grabs), Slide the new drive in and hook up your cables.

If you are using 2 drives make sure the second drive is cable select (at slave position) or slave, and the first is on cable select (master position) or master.

Here is HP's video and instructions.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...=42689&lang=en

• The Power To Do More

Another thing I just thought of your new computer uses SATA drives (small connectors) your old computer drive may use PATA drives (the long connector), you may have to buy a controller for the new computer to install a PATA drive.

It may be easier to transfer files from your old computer to the new computer by using a "share" on the old computer and copying it over to your new computer over your network.

Sorry my replies are late.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

Does this hard drive have the OS on it? IMO, always kind of dicey switching one with the OS to a new PC with a different mobo and hdw.
    Mike

•   
      MiceChat Moderator

Blog Entries

Ah, I didn't even think about it being a different system... Yeah it's Me and this is XP. And I have no clue if the connectors are different.

Maybe it would be better to do that file share thing?
    How would I do that?

Or really just the files... I wanted to use that space as another hard drive but if that won't work, it's OK, but I really want my programs and files.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain

• Hooterville, USA

Your old hd will not work in your new system without formatting it first.

Then you lose all info. The MBR and all drivers will be different and it will be hell to sort it all out.

Set the jumpers to "slave" and pull data off of the old drive to the new drive.

If "slave' doesn't work, then you will have to jumper it at cable select (cs).

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• The Power To Do More

The windows you have has nothing to do with it, but your new computer uses a different hardware it's SATA your old one is PATA. It's like trying to put a square peg into a round hole. Does your old computer still work? If it does and you only want to transfer data over then all you need to do is create a share on your old computer to take the data from one over to the other. (right click sharing on a folder), then set up a share. You can access it over your home network using "My Network Places" it will show up on your new computer, then you just copy the files over to your new computer. Your new computer has a huge hard drive (way bigger then the old ME system) so you'll have room to spare.

The good news is soon you'll be able to purchase a HP MediaSmart Home Server, which will allow you to store all your stuff centrally and share it with any computer in your home (up to 10 accounts) with a simple to understand interface. Pretty cool what's coming out huh?

•   
      MiceChat Moderator

Blog Entries

Ok... I haven't had a chance to even try to understand any of this stuff That share things sounds easiest (I have set up networking between my roommate's computer and mine) - my old computer should work, I just need to put the hard drive back in. But I only have one monitor... will I have to keep plugging and unplugging it? I will be getting a new one sometime, hopefully w/i a few months, if that'd be better. But I wanna get this done sooner, rather than later.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain

• The Power To Do More

You can swap your monitor if you want, but once you put everything you want in the share(s) you don't need to really have the monitor on the old computer, until you shut down (or you could just crash it if you wanted)

Of course you could always stop by Goodwill and see if they have a 17"/19" CRT monitor for your old computer (They sell them for about 5 bucks here). Then you can use your old computer for the kiddies if you have any, or say in the Kitchen (My old computer is there).

Good luck with your data transfer.

Oh and as said earlier, make sure you have the programs you need on your new computer.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator

Blog Entries

Ok... I'm getting closer!!

The old drive is plugged in, obviously, - new drive's "master" plug was already in the motherboard.
    I set the old drive's slave pins, then plugged it into the motherboard using the slave plug on the grey cord. Plugged in the red, black, etc power cord.
    Turned on the computer... and it tried to load Windows Me!!! (which is the OS the old drive has installed)
    What might I be doing wrong?

do I have to "jumper it at cable select (cs)." I don't know what that means!
    Would just that data share? Though eventually it'll have to work right to be reformatted, right?
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain

• Makin' Movies !

At The Opera House, Waitin' For Mr. Lincoln!

Talking Re: Installing a New Hard Drive...

It could be many things:

You need to go into the bios and tell the computer which drive to boot from, or

you have it plugged into the first connector of the 80 pin data cable, forcing it to be the master, or

You have the jumper set wrong, (because the label can be very confusing), or etc.

What would be much easier would be to purchase an external USB case, install the drive into that, plug it into a USB port, and it would work the first time. you would also have less chance of causing problems with your computer, and the drive would then be portable.

These enclosures can be had for as little as $15.95 if you look around, like this http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=AP35-U&cat=CSE . This would probably save you lots of time and trouble.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Captain Video; 03-12-2007 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Spelling

• Down Pluto!

Purchasing a case and going the USB route is much more difficult.

It sounds like you are attempting to boot into Windows ME from the slave drive - Is that correct? Or is it just trying to do it on it's own?

Is there an operating system already on the new drive?

Don't use CS - Pin the new drive Master and pin the old drive Slave.

What might be causing it is if your new drive is pinned Master, and is sharing the cable with a CD/DVD that is pinned Slave - while the old drive on a seperate cable is still pinned as Master.

You would have two Masters competing...

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Former CM

Are both hard drives plugged into the same IDE cable? If they are move the old drive to the secondary IDE controller and try booting up again. Does your new computer use an IDE drive (flat cable about 2" wide) or SATA (skinny cable about 1/3" wide? If the new computer uses SATA you may need to go into the BIOS and set the boot order to use SATA hard drive before IDE hard drives.

• The Power To Do More

Change your boot.ini set it to boot from drive 0/1 as applicable and sete the right partition if applicable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast